Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Imagined speculation. That's all Evolution Theology is riding on.
Imagined speculation? Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Why don't you do an honest study of Evolution and find out for yourself? There are mountains of data to support evolution. What verifiable evidence do you have to support what you believe? Oh, a 2000 year old manuscript that was written before the people of it's day knew about so much as the common cold virus, that has been translated, copied, re-copied, and then copied again more times than we even know. Or maybe you are just trying to make the ToE sound just as cooky as all the other made up religions as to even the playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
we seem to be educating people for free. O what charity! but truly, our children need it more. Nothing new here, the O.P. is beginning to irritate my sense of compassion for those who wish to oppress us with their ridiculous ideas, we've heard them before, they are all as empty and hollow as the idols they try or pretend to follow.
We aren't doing it for free and our efforts are not in vain, believe it or not. I don't know about you but I am noot trying to convince people like the OP of the the truth. That ship has sailed. Their minds are pretty much stuck on..... well.... lets just say they are closed. I post for the passer-by. The lurker. Someone who may not have enough interest to engage in the discussion but give it a read to see how someone might combat the assertions of the OP, which at first glance, may seem to be a valid point. It takes critical thrinking to point out the flaws and show where they are wrong.

I also post for the Christian or whomever who is in that stage where they are beginning to question what they have been force fed. They aren't opened up enough to actualy reject the myths and legends, yet. They may even try and defend them. But, after they start to search, they are far more likely to find truth in logic, reason, and fact, moreso than in unsupported, unsubstantiated myths and legends.

The person I decribed was myself when I first joined CDF. If I can pass it forward to someone, even with my own limited scope of comprehension and understanding, it will have all been worth while.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Imagined speculation? Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Why don't you do an honest study of Evolution and find out for yourself? There are mountains of data to support evolution. What verifiable evidence do you have to support what you believe? Oh, a 2000 year old manuscript that was written before the people of it's day knew about so much as the common cold virus, that has been translated, copied, re-copied, and then copied again more times than we even know. Or maybe you are just trying to make the ToE sound just as cooky as all the other made up religions as to even the playing field.
These people 'snapper, will put actually understanding the case for evolution at the lowest priority. What is important to them is slapping all sorts of accusations of being a 'religious theology' (that is with no more evidence that their own beliefs) and then looking for some smears about Eugenics, and the Bomb to persuade themselves that it doesn't match up even in the religious faith stakes.
Their arguments not only do not approach reason, but they abhor reason as a cunning demonic plot to make them question their pure, unquestioning faith.

It would be hilarious if it were not so sad and pitable if it were no so dangerous.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-12-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It is painful to see the gruesome misrepresentation of the theory and the ghastly caricatures of the claims which are then pelted with derision like pathetic strawmen they are.

We have to respond of course since to say nothing would allow these dismal libels to be perpetuated even more than they are.
You are correct dear chap and we are fortunate that we have people here like yourself, rifleman (though sadly, I can no longer read his posts due to the way he edits them, which is a great loss ) and other learned and erudite members to fight the appalling ignorance displayed by people like Eusebius and Lee. Perhaps it's my age but I no longer have the energy to stand against the astonishing stupidity displayed by our resident creationists now and must leave it to you younger chappies...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Wink Too sad, really. But perhaps it's still worth it to them in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
These people 'snapper, will put actually understanding the case for evolution at the lowest priority. What is important to them is slapping all sorts of accusations of being a 'religious theology' (that is with no more evidence that their own beliefs) and then looking for some smears about Eugenics, and the Bomb to persuade themselves that it doesn't match up even in the religious faith stakes.
Their arguments not only do not approach reason, but they abhor reason as a cunning demonic plot to make them question their pure, unquestioning faith.

It would be hilarious if it were not so sad and pitable if it were no so dangerous.
So well stated, 'snapper! Too true, and I too share the sadness at the lack of common sense these types have so lovingly embraced! Well, perhaps it is instructional to the "fence sitters". One can only hope some of the obvious sinks in, however slowly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You are correct dear chap and we are fortunate that we have people here like yourself, rifleman (though sadly, I can no longer read his posts due to the way he edits them, which is a great loss ) and other learned and erudite members to fight the appalling ignorance displayed by people like Eusebius and Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
(Stuff like this?)
Perhaps it's my age but I no longer have the energy to stand against the astonishing stupidity displayed by our resident creationists now and must leave it to you younger chappies...
Huh? Dozo... what am I doing wrong? Is it my "quote insertions" into the other fellow's post? (like I did above?)

Let me know; I wouldn't want you to miss even one delicious bit, Rafi!

As for Eusebius and lee, and to a lesser degree, Mickiel, (who occasionally shows a glimmer of common sense and integrity, and so I still work on/with his mind...) it truly is indicative of a larger pathology that still lingers, like some sort of Godly-infused herpes zoster spp. (and their inevitable evolutionary follow-ons...), nestled so very deeply in their hominid psyche-genomes.

Once there snuggled in their brain cells by previous exposure in Sunday School; and thus once contaminated, these denialists seem to be forever suceptible to a sort of mental "evangelical shingles" outbreak, quivering in their misery and yowling out from time to time in obvious piercing pain (ever had shingles? Yikes!) : "Evolution's all a fantasty! It's all made up! There's no evidence whatsoever!"

Despite all the masses of hyper-logical and predictable evidence to the irrefutable contrary, no less!

And thus we must of needs keep them in the special "Contamination Ward", [Wash Thoroughly After Contact!] to wait out their withering, painful and inevitable evangelic-psycho-illogical deaths, imagining themselves, with increasing fervor as their time approacheth, in Guaranteed Salvation Mode, where in fact there is no such event scheduled ahead!

Such are the delusions borne of faith-based fear and purposeful intransigence and suppression of a proper educational perspective.

The best we can do is try to keep them comfortable in their inevitable progression of doom, eh? After all, we are the real compassionate ones here, always providing evidence of the truth. They, by comparison, under the guise of being compassionate, are always intoning that it is we who are bent for eternal pain and suffering, all while we offer them an alternative: to bask in the enlightenment of truth...

sigh...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Rifleman, when you insert the quote [ QUOTE][ /QUOTE] in the other poster's quote delete the slash in the last QUOTE and put it in the first one like this

[ /QUOTE]type your reply here[ QUOTE]

(leading spaces left in to leave illustration)

I have it saved like this in a notepad txt file and simply copy and paste it when I need it and is saved with a CR ready to go like this

[ /QUOTE]

[ QUOTE]

Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Huh? Dozo... what am I doing wrong? Is it my "quote insertions" into the other fellow's post? (like I did above?)
Indeed it is young fella mi lad! I find your posts far to difficult to read when you insert your answers into what the other person said. It is a great loss for me not to be able to read your gems any more but it takes too much time and energy to work them out.

Quote:
Let me know; I wouldn't want you to miss even one delicious bit, Rafi!
Please old chap...highlight the part you want to respond to, click the 'Quote' button and then write your reply. Then I can once again enjoy your posts.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Rifleman, when you insert the quote [ QUOTE][ /QUOTE] in the other poster's quote delete the slash in the last QUOTE and put it in the first one like this

[ /QUOTE]type your reply here[ QUOTE]

(leading spaces left in to leave illustration)

I have it saved like this in a notepad txt file and simply copy and paste it when I need it and is saved with a CR ready to go like this

[ /QUOTE]

[ QUOTE]
Why make it hard deleting this that and the other or copy pasting things?? Just highlight what you want to respond to and then click the 'quote' button. That's what it's there for!!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The real reason that people deny evolution is because it falsifies the Genesis creation story and raises doubts about the idea of original sin.

And by doing so, evolution calls into question the entire Biblical narrative.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
No one would conclude a car came into being without an engineer. It is a rationale conclusion.
Most of your post was unintelligible to me, but not everyone expresses themselves well in writing. I guess what confuses me most is the leaps you've made without any connecting points.

For example, cells and factories are only as complex as they need to be to support the functions they need to support. There are no superfluous aspects that survive in either over time. That which is not used is lost with each new generation. In organisms, mutations result in either the death or improved performance of the individual. In factories, resources wasted contribute to lost profits and eventual death. Only those entities that remain robust to their environment are sustained.

Back to your post. The word choice and grammar is a bit -- well, "dicey" in spots, too. For example, "rational" and "rationale" are not the same thing.

Perhaps your understanding of science and religion could use as much work as your communications?

Aside from all that, while I reject most of the baloney that passes off as religion, I do embrace that not only is there a God, but we live and have our being IN God. Furthermore, I don't think God has ever stopped creating, and that act of creating is called evolution.

I don't think there is anything more simple than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality