Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM

44 posts, read 60,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na'vi View Post
Absolute balderdash. It would simply destroy you if you were to consider that this is all there is, you absolutely need the crutch that is your much hoped for eternity as a robot repeating ad nausium praise the lord. The really funny thing is that some people regard this as paradise.
I came across this old thread and found it interesting .

I personally dont think anyone 'needs God as a crutch' ... its just very plain that a Creator is needed for a Creation and especially a Creation as ours that exhibits enormous personal and intelligent examples --- something that even Atheists agree on when it comes to anything ON Earth, yet when the entire Cosmos is considered, suddenly a Creator is no longer required.

So, i support the other Dave in his conclusion and would add that its the Atheist who needs the crutch of Creator-denial in order to maintain his/her self centered lifestyle status quo which a personal Creator would certainly spoil .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm not trying to pick on Christians here & I don't want this to become a big fight. I really would like to know. However I never never understood why some can't defend thier faith without mentioning the bible. If your strong in your faith then why not use your own words?
Maybe that's because our faith and the Bible is synonymous with each other.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have to agree. Since the faith is based on what's in the Bible, the contents of the Bible are the obvious place to find argument material.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:

And yet there are so many different denominations and so many disagreements over the same book. You Christians read from the same book and yet, why can't you'll agree?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Because for some Christians their faith IS the bible and what is written in the bible. Their bible tells how to worship God and many other things. And there is other evidence as well. What does it matter to you anyway? Is it because you want to argue with them and debunk them and you want them to step away from the bible so you can do this? Yes, you are trying to pick on Christians, like so many others that come into this forum to do so, and yes, you are trying to start a fight. And you know you are too.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Why can't some Christians explain thier faith with out quoting the bible?

Quote:
For Christians . . . our Faith and Jesus Christ the Living Word of God should be synonymous with each other. So I guess for Bibleians your statement would be true.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Reminds me of a saying that someone brought up about "reading the menu doesn't equal eating the meal". I believe their faith is an intellectual one rather than a spiritual one.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Anyone who answers a theological/philosophical question with a bible quotation is simply offering proof that they've exchanged reason for scriptural regurgitation.

In other words, their cognitive processes are suspect. Take with shovelfuls of salt.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Anyone who answers a theological/philosophical question with a bible quotation is simply offering proof that they've exchanged reason for scriptural regurgitation.

In other words, their cognitive processes are suspect. Take with shovelfuls of salt.
That is right, too. While Allenkey is right to suggest that Christian argument can understandably be based on what's in the Bible, there is not now the slightest reason to give any credibility to what is in the Bible, simply because it is in there, which is why quoting from it as evidence is understandable for Christian apologists but is futile because there is now no sound basis for taking it as being authoritative.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For Christians . . . our Faith and Jesus Christ the Living Word of God should be synonymous with each other. So I guess for Bibleians your statement would be true.
Yes, there are lots of Bibliolaters here ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality