Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 PM

431 posts, read 474,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
when did i specify the mythical figure as the christian god?
you might want to re-read the original post i had. (ie. post #1)

ps. to make it easier for you to follow (yes, i'll have to make it reeeeeeal simple for you it seems), i'm against the silly idea of any mythical god's existence....including the christian god, allah, buddah, zeus, apolo, etc.
is the flying spaghetti monster included in your disbelief

Uncyclopedia

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Either way, I've been where you are and have grown past it.
.... I understand its simply the course of nature, that our bodies and minds aren't immortal. You have no proof of what you claim, so your words really mean nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
well i hope he is here and reading all of your nonsense
Peace to both of you, and best wishes for your paths. It was never my intention to antagonize you and upset your convictions. A question was asked, and I answered it based on what I know to be true in my heart. If what I say is nonsense, then God's greatness is nonsense, God doesn't care if It doesn't make sense to you, and knows eventually your paths will lead to God. There is no where that God is Not.

As for proof, I searched for proof for over forty years, and when I stopped seeking I found God was with me all the time. I know what it is to want proof.

There is no proof. There is only God.

Peace be with you that you may give peace to others and know the joys of God in this world and life everlasting.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
is the flying spaghetti monster included in your disbelief

Uncyclopedia
The FSM is a more just god than the many gods i mentioned! At least, before he sends you to your doom, he gives you some spaghetti and meeeat-a-ballls........

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
These two paragraphs contradict themselves. How can God be all of these things yet has nothing to do with suffering? Can he not relieve ore eliminate suffering? If he can, then he must be charged with ALLOWING suffering. Also, if God can help us overcome all adversity, why do Christians die from cancer? Coincidentally, just as I finished reading your post, I got a phone call about a friend's 42 year old Christian wife, who has two children, just died from bone cancer. She suffered for 6 months with excruciating pain, causing suffering for her family and friends as well and continued suffering for her two children and husband. This lady was a very devoted Christian, with probably 100's of other Christians praying for her to be healed. This example would tend to dispute what you say about being able to overcome all adversity. Any god that has the ability to eliminate this type of suffering but does nothing isn't deserving of any praise and worship.

you make the mistake of assessing the situation rationally and objectivley

let me put it this way

if a fireman charges into a burning building and risks his own life to save a child , if he suceeds , he will be roundly applauded

if a fireman shows up for work on monday drunk off his ass and is unable to even turn on the water hose , if someone looses their life in the process , he will be roundly condemned

if a person undegoes a life saving operation and survives , christians will heap praise on god

if a person undergoes a life saving operation but dies , christians will still heap praise on god

all conventional intepretations and understandings of events must be discarded in order to be a fully fledged believer - christian , this is nesscessery in order to rationalise the endless list of contradictions which show up when the notion of an unconditionally good and mercifull god is presented

Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The problem is all the people that "think" there is a god
a bigger problem is the large number of people who claim to know how god thinks , that the same people turn around and claim to be humble is all the more bizzare

Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
The FSM is a more just god than the many gods i mentioned! At least, before he sends you to your doom, he gives you some spaghetti and meeeat-a-ballls........

Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
a bigger problem is the large number of people who claim to know how god thinks , that the same people turn around and claim to be humble is all the more bizzare
no only do they claim to know his mind they set themselves up to be the JUDGE of what g-d will do . where in the bible does it say g-d gives humans the *right* to sit on judgement on each other and second quess him.
if there is a JUDGEMENT to be made then g-d in his own time will do that .
all christians need to do is to worry about their OWN soul
ill take care of mine

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
A lot of people use feeling more than thinking for judging 'truth', and it just feels good to believe in an ultimate authority that has your best interest in mind. Thus rationalizations abound.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Peace to both of you, and best wishes for your paths. It was never my intention to antagonize you and upset your convictions. A question was asked, and I answered it based on what I know to be true in my heart. If what I say is nonsense, then God's greatness is nonsense, God doesn't care if It doesn't make sense to you, and knows eventually your paths will lead to God. There is no where that God is Not.

As for proof, I searched for proof for over forty years, and when I stopped seeking I found God was with me all the time. I know what it is to want proof.

There is no proof. There is only God.

Peace be with you that you may give peace to others and know the joys of God in this world and life everlasting.
Who are you to say what your god does or doesn't care about? See, this is the arrogance of Christians, pretending to know what their mythical god is thinking. If your god does exist, I doubt that you have any special ability to know his thoughts.
If you were looking for proof and didn't find it, what made you decide to settle for a feeling instead? Forgive me if I don't think you were really looking for proof.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Who are you to say what your god does or doesn't care about? See, this is the arrogance of Christians, pretending to know what their mythical god is thinking. If your god does exist, I doubt that you have any special ability to know his thoughts.
If you were looking for proof and didn't find it, what made you decide to settle for a feeling instead? Forgive me if I don't think you were really looking for proof.
I realize that your atheism breeds contempt and skepticism as a general rule and it infects everything you encounter. But it should not be extended to the integrity of the individuals whose beliefs you scoff at. Apply your unbridled skepticism to their beliefs . . . but absent evidence of their intent to lie . . . back off from your adversarial distrust of their truthfulness and motives . . . or are you claiming some psychic powers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality