Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
You just don't see it. The evidence is all around.

Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.”

Hebrews 11:3

New International Version (NIV)

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

So how could the scholors of that day even know that everything was made of something invisible, like the atom. Just look at the evidence.
Do you not understand the DIFFERENCE between evidence and just another claim? Look and read the first verse. It is a claim, nothing else. Where is the data that points to the conclusion? Bible verses are NOT data. Personal anecdotes are not evidence. Millions of people believing the same thing is NOT evidence. See: Logical Fallacies, Circular Reasoning, Argumentum ad Numerum.

Your second verse is just more of the same, another claim. YOUR CONCLUSION about the verse, which supports your own belief about god, is NOT evidence, it's rationalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Science cannot solve everything. "There are more things in heaven and earth."
I never said it could so not sure why you are ignoring my post and trotting this mantra out instead.

However neither of us know the future so we have no idea what our science will solve and what it will not.

But just because there are things we might never answer, that does not give you warrant to simply make stuff up.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
ONCE science have found the end of eternity..the end of the universe and discover a wall were nothingness exists on the other side...then and only then can they rule out the existence of God- That will never happen- eternity has no end. So you will never find God or rule him out... They don't call it eternity for nothing....show me the end- You can't.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
ONCE science have found the end of eternity..the end of the universe and discover a wall were nothingness exists on the other side...then and only then can they rule out the existence of God- That will never happen- eternity has no end. So you will never find God or rule him out... They don't call it eternity for nothing....show me the end- You can't.
I am always wary of people who purport to know the future with lines like "that will never happen". You simply do not know what will or will not happen in the future. Nor do I. You do not know what science will or will not help us discover. Nor do I. So let us stop pretending we do ok?

The only thing we should be commenting on/with is the data we have here and now today and currently there is no such data to suggest there is a god on offer to me. None. Anywhere. Certainly not here on this thread.

However I do not believe that even if we reach a point where we perfectly understand everything within the boundries of our universe that we will suddenly "then and only then can they rule out the existence of God" because the theistic mind is nothing but inventive. They will just claim... as many already do... that "god" is "somewhere else" not amenable to science at all.

The concept and definition of god these days is so dilute as to say actually nothing. The peddlers of new age mysticism on these fora for example have definitions of "god" that quite literally say nothing at all. Such a vague and empty definition allows the theist to simply define god to be beyond anything we can or will ever be able to look at and no matter what we discover, they will just keep their definition one step ahead.

When people like most theists believe for no other reason than they believe then no amount of scientific discovery is likely to ever penetrate those walls.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
And I think what you want is for me to say that this is not evidence and that God does not exist. However if you think the complexity of life and the universe is with out divine intervention and want to accept that it is all here for no reason than I guess you will never see any of this as any evidence. You need to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and stop putting your head in the perverbial science sand.
Your view is not uncommon. In fact it is the bogstandard theist view.

(1) start from 'God exists'.

(2) eveything that is was made by God.

(3) therefor any kind of order or repetition or predictability or reliability must be down to design.

(4) any suggestion that it can as well be explained by non -god origins is dismissed as denial - 'sticking the head in the sand' as you put it.

In fact it is you, chum with your head in the sand, hoping that if you ignore the science explanations they will eventually give up and go away. The fact is, that it doesn't matter whether you keep your head in the sand or not. The case for god will be pushed back and you and a few others will be left standing in a sea of reason declaring that you are the only ones who really know the Truth - like the last flat earthist denouncing all the space photos as fakes.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am always wary of people who purport to know the future with lines like "that will never happen". You simply do not know what will or will not happen in the future. Nor do I. You do not know what science will or will not help us discover. Nor do I. So let us stop pretending we do ok?

The only thing we should be commenting on/with is the data we have here and now today and currently there is no such data to suggest there is a god on offer to me. None. Anywhere. Certainly not here on this thread.

However I do not believe that even if we reach a point where we perfectly understand everything within the boundries of our universe that we will suddenly "then and only then can they rule out the existence of God" because the theistic mind is nothing but inventive. They will just claim... as many already do... that "god" is "somewhere else" not amenable to science at all.

The concept and definition of god these days is so dilute as to say actually nothing. The peddlers of new age mysticism on these fora for example have definitions of "god" that quite literally say nothing at all. Such a vague and empty definition allows the theist to simply define god to be beyond anything we can or will ever be able to look at and no matter what we discover, they will just keep their definition one step ahead.

When people like most theists believe for no other reason than they believe then no amount of scientific discovery is likely to ever penetrate those walls.

The rush to disprove the existence of a deity....really has no purpose- so if science finds that the universe is as dumb as a rock and has no consciousness...how will this be helpful? WHY does it matter to you if God exists or not? The concept of God is not diluted in my mind...I believe myself to be a pretty creative and intelligent guy...It takes a high level of intelligence to explore or even to attempt understand the GOD factor....science or blind atheism can be simplistic...science changes every day...what is real is real then not real. This is the nature of science- there is no final answer in science...there is only the next question.

If science were not like this it would not be science. What I believe is in vastness. Eternal distance must have a consciousness...if we on this speck with our bit of grey brain has it- then IT must have it also...

Sad to say for some religious fanatics is that the search for God might end up in finding themselves...once that is realized then humanity will be all knowing and have no reason to exist....Then humanity will be gone...This is the problem in a nut shell...There is the danger of finding out that GOD's consciousness exists only in humanity. That the Lord of Hosts exist in us- that we are the hosts to God.....That is the term "Living God" - That this force enters us and goes into material existence by doing so...if we stop believing in God fully - we may disappear...it's a very simple and strange phenomena...That God is within man only....still - That is a miracle....We as humans must pretend not too know all...if we become as gods...we perish.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
*WHAT* other side? The evidence for the universe begins with the big bang, there is no point in conjecturing about anything outside of the light cone of the big bang. Even if there were a jillion "other sides", they would be meaningless, this universe could not interact with them. Read Stephen Hawking's _A Brief History of Time_. There is no evidence of there being anything other than this universe, it is all we have and if god is *NOT* contained in this universe, then the ole boy just doesn't exist.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
WHY does it matter to you if God exists or not? .

It matters to me, because people go to war because of gods, kill people because of gods, blow up World Trade Centers because of gods, hate homosexuals because of gods and try to pass unconstitutional laws because of gods.

That's why I care.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM

707 posts, read 687,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Very few of us here say god does not exist. So we hardly want you to say it either.

What is worth saying however is that there currently is no reason to think it DOES exist. Which is what most of us actually say.

Again no reason for you to think He exists.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Again no reason for you to think He exists.
No, there is no reason for ANYONE to THINK that gods exist. There are reasons that people BELIEVE that gods exist. There is a huge difference. You might believe a god exists for a variety of reasons, including your own lack of ability to deal with your own mortality. You don't, however, THINK that a god exists because for you to come to that conclusion outside of faith would require evidence, of which there is NONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality