Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM

707 posts, read 688,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
None of us know all the answers, so I'm stating that it was Magical Pixie Dust. Why don't you believe in Pixies? Your creator is no different and carries no more weight than the Magical Pixie. Please present to me one VALID reason that I should elevate your creator over the Pixies, just one and I will relent.
You can believe in whatever you want. And maybe there are others who also believe in this fairy dust and you can share this belief together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Thumbs down Bad Dream Time. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No, because the idea of God is based around faith, and the minute faith dies, then there is no more hope for humanity.

√ When I found out that no one could answer that question, I conclude that the belief in science was a thing of faith as well.

√ You must have faith in human measurement and observation, because that is the starting point towards "proof".

√ So as long as this is the case, science can never replace the glory of God for many people.
They offer entirely different points of view, on of blind faith, and the other of formulations based on research and questioning hat is mutually conducted by literally tens of thousands of independent researchers the world over.

So you simply cannot outright dismiss all that we have observed in this life, that we have tested and re-tested, and then formulated rational theories. when these completely isolate and dissolve old fairy tales, where do you go from there?

Quote:
Science has no such faith. Science observes, then formulates falsifiable theories to explain what has been observed. What you are doing is starting from a rigid conclusion and then sniffing around for things that might support it and you are finding nothing.
Agreed. No faith involved, except in the eyes of those who would purposefully denigrate what they do not want to hear. Then, it's lowered to the same level as they know their faith exists ta: which is: not very believable.

Interesting, isn't it? The Christian faith based system is obviously flawed in it's abilities to answer questions, and so the devout Christians try to call science down to that level. ("Science is just another religion!" or "Science is also faith-based!") They do this knowingly. Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
"Observing" what happened 13 or so billion years ago doesn't require some level of faith? Who are you kidding?
Well, let's see how all this works, shall we? That is, if we're rational & logical people.

1) the bullet hole's in the wall.

2) The victim is laying there with a hole through his shoulder,

3) the hole's in through his front shoulder, out through his back in a line with the hole in the front, and

4) his blood's on the hole in the wall that the bullet made.

Q: did a bullet perforate this victim? Is it likely the same bullet that we'll find in the wall?

Or, did "Jebuss" just step in, direct a golden laser beam through the victim's chest, but also, unrelated, create an insta-poofy (i.e.: Creationistic) bullet that magically flew through the air, being "created" behind the guy without having even touched him at all, but magically had some of the victims blood on it just "because". And it had nothing to do with the guy's death because of an alternate but illogical story written up by someone who wasn't there either? Which story yah gonna go with, I wonder? Hmmm.... (Eeeny-Meeny-minneey-mohhhh?? Q: Is that how you do it, VD?)

? Yup: I gotz-dah faith, Lawdy!

You can decide what happened. Or you can say it's unrelated. All of it. Because, as we all know, God works in mysterious ways!

So. Lessee here: what basic logical questioning might alternately produce? (aka: The SM, a formalized version of Q&A designed to minimize assumptions and fakery via peer review. Note: Not an Evil™ spiritual entity!)

√ We have background radiation/EM energy that is trailing off, but is

√ measurably from a specific initial point.

√ Most every physical body is moving away from that same initial point.

√ And by simple calculations, this happened about 14M years ago which oddly coincides with a lot of other independent geological, astronomical and biological observables...... Hmmm....

√ Other cosmic and astronomical entities in space are not yet finished forming up (despite the claim that God was finished with His universe during Creation. Wow! Fat chance of that!)

√ We have mounds of detailed observable and checkable evidence of an ancient earth that was formed by very dynamic events, incl. early volcanism.

√ The most recent (in the last few days, in fact...) info from the latest Mars Rover shows, absolutely, that it once had water. Probably still does! And probably (and I'm wiling to bet if you are...) that there's strange life forms there as well! Or at least there might be some ancient proofs (via Evil™ deductive reasoning I will allow; Bwah-hah-hahhhh!) but if/when they find tiny fossils on Mars, whatcha gonna do then, VD?).

Perhaps it was tens of thousands, if not millions, of years ago. Soon enough we'll find that out.

God didn't mention that in the official biblical tomb, now did He? Or the traveling minstrel prophets? No duhh, since the prophets had no idea that Mars even existed, so they could hardly have been expected to incorporate any of the solar system's facts into their fairy tales, now could they?

Finally, all Christians, sadly for them, seem to require that there be a "before" and "after", as others here have noted. Why? Simply enough, WHY? So you can have an complete Godly story tale, with a beginning ("Once upon a time...") and a happy ending ("And the Golden Ship came and all the good Christian people got on board, and the heathen-savage scientists all perished, screaming for help, in a firey pit. And a good time was had by all the good Christians!")

As for "before" and "after" options, see Nozzferanto's excellent line of reasoning, above. Listen and learn, grasshopper!

Yup. Your wild ideas sure make a lot of sense to me. While our stuff, even though it doesn't yet have all the answers you insist on, is therefore completely wrong. And your ideas, not to be confused with fairy dust nonsense, is all correct, even though none of it fits what we can observe. Just like that bullet hole, which obviously got there by pure magic, yup!

No deductive reasoning allowed, ever. As God is my witness, and as my priest has admonished me! Lest I go directly to hell for being impertinent against God!

You just go on with that one, OK? Oh: I see: you agree with me...

Quote:
You can believe in whatever you want. And maybe there are others who also believe in this fairy dust and you can share this belief together.
As noted, you can go right on denying all that's so easily observable and reproducible now, and deny deny DENY. I think it's called Denialism. Or is it Delusional? Can't remember: maybe it's both? I'll go with that. Our version is all fairy dust. Yup. (Please, Nurse Kratchett: I need my meds now, because I'm pretty sure this guy is just a bad dream demon...)

Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
"Observing" what happened 13 or so billion years ago doesn't require some level of faith? Who are you kidding?
Science does not allow us to "observe" it but allows us to establish what must have happened by process of reasoning, deduction, evaluation of the evidence and much more. We do not directly observe it any more than a homicide detective directly observes a murder when proving who did it.

You are being wantonly and purposefully disingenuous here by pretending you do not know that already.

And no faith is required, or advised. If a piece of data comes in tomorrow that falsifies current scientific thought on the matters in question, then those conclusions will be thrown out and new ones drawn up to match the new AND old available data. Contrast this to vast chunks of Theistic thought.

Quote:
Clearly (s)he does not and you are yet again being wantonly and purposefully disingenuous here by pretending you do not know that already.

The point of the users comment was to show that if we are all just given free license to make up any answer we want to fit in gaps of our knowledge... then there is no reason to consider one makey up answers and more valid or credible than another.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,372 times
Quote:
By this omission, I'm assuming that you can't. Here's the deal, Van. Science doesn't care and is not prejudiced against Pixies or god, they simply do not factor into explanations that which is not evidenced. It's really that simple.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
By this omission, I'm assuming that you can't. Here's the deal, Van. Science doesn't care and is not prejudiced against Pixies or god, they simply do not factor into explanations that which is not evidenced. It's really that simple.
That is science but it is not all the answers and I personally think it is naive to think this way. Anyone who thinks that science is the be all and end all for the entire universe does not even leave room for purpose. This is a huge misconception. Science and God are related. It's like if a person says God makes the sun rise and set. And then science discovered that we revolve around the sun so this is why the sun rises and sets. Both are true to many because God created it this way. Just because science discovers a reason does not mean it wasn't created this way. Sometimes I think people assume when someone says God did it that it means it happened by magic. The whole point is that science does not have all the answers and the ones they do have are in a limited scope. Just like vision it is only part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And no faith is required, or advised. If a piece of data comes in tomorrow that falsifies current scientific thought on the matters in question, then those conclusions will be thrown out and new ones drawn up to match the new AND old available data. Contrast this to vast chunks of Theistic thought.

So what you are saying it that current scientific facts we know today could be completely wrong. So to believe them today takes faith.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,372 times
Quote:
That is science but it is not all the answers and I personally think it is naive to think this way.
Then AGAIN I will ask you if you believe in Pixies? No? Why not?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Then AGAIN I will ask you if you believe in Pixies? No? Why not?
Not sure what pixies are? Do you mean these guys? Pixies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
So what you are saying it that current scientific facts we know today could be completely wrong. So to believe them today takes faith.
No what takes faith is believing things for which you have literally no evidence.

What science has us do is formulate and test hypotheses based on the data we currently have only, without ignoring data we have, or inventing data we do not.

The difference is not small, despite you pretending not to know it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Scientist are doing it every day. Every time the study images from a galaxy that is 13 billion light years distant, they are observing 13 billion year old images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality