Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Inferiority complex?

Emotionally needy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Imaging praising God for eternity. That's your heaven.
You live, suffer, and die, so you can go to heaven and worship him for all the times he didn't help you, because it was his big plan.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM

22,211 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
unfortunately, this means that people have to suffer.
Actually suffering is a choice. Living involves lots of things but suffering is a choice. I choose to live and grow through JOY.

Generally people's view of how "life is" is a direct reflection of their god. My god is a god of love and joy. THe universe will give us whichever god we choose, because the universe is very accommodating. Every person has free will including choosing the god of their understanding, many people choose a stern mean demanding punishing harsh god. That has nothing to do with god, and everything to do with the person who is "constructing" the god of their understanding.

Once I got that, I shopped around and found a god that is more fun I'd rather grow through joy than suffering.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
Yes, we all owe it to orselves to do some serious god shopping until we find one or more that makes us feel good inside. Just becasue we inherited a particular god from our ancestors doesn't mean that that god is the best god for us.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,799 times
my intent was not to imply that we have to feel miserable throughout life, just that bad things happen to everyone. i agree wholly that it is our choice whether to learn, be positive, and move on, or to sulk and feel sorry for ourselves.

in the end, we will all see that God has helped us out thousands of times every day. whether we will accept and appreciate that is as much our decision as what we do with the bad things that happen to us.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Actually suffering is a choice. Living involves lots of things but suffering is a choice. I choose to live and grow through JOY.

Generally people's view of how "life is" is a direct reflection of their god. My god is a god of love and joy. THe universe will give us whichever god we choose, because the universe is very accommodating. Every person has free will including choosing the god of their understanding, many people choose a stern mean demanding punishing harsh god. That has nothing to do with god, and everything to do with the person who is "constructing" the god of their understanding.

Once I got that, I shopped around and found a god that is more fun I'd rather grow through joy than suffering.

Suffering is not always a choice.
I hope you don't say that to anyone dying of cancer or lost a loved one.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 PM

51 posts, read 109,260 times
Nick:

In answer to the OP. the god of Christianty wants us to worship them because they are quite full of themselves.

Consider the longest "book" in the bible, the Psalms. The vast majority of that book is dedicated to Yahweh tooting his own horn. 150 chapers....for verses like the ones listed below.

Psalm 134:2
Psalm 119:48
Psalm 28:2
Psalm 63:4
Psalm 149:1
Psalm 146:1
Psalm 150:1
Psalm 147:12
Psalm 112:1
Psalm 148:1
Psalm 135:1
Psalm 150:6 “everything that has breath should praise god?”
Psalm 111:1
Psalm 147:1
Psalm 106:1
Psalm 146:10
Psalm 104:1
Psalm 107:8

As for me. I'm afraid I could never worship the god of Christianity. Why? Because he's a dude. I dont worship dudes.....that's gay, and I'm not.

If I were going to worship someone, it'd be that lead singer from the Cardigans. Now that chick is worth worshiping.

Cheers,

Nick

Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Yes, we all owe it to orselves to do some serious god shopping until we find one or more that makes us feel good inside. Just becasue we inherited a particular god from our ancestors doesn't mean that that god is the best god for us.

So if you make up your own god to suit your fancy, that makes him real?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
my intent was not to imply that we have to feel miserable throughout life, just that bad things happen to everyone. i agree wholly that it is our choice whether to learn, be positive, and move on, or to sulk and feel sorry for ourselves.

in the end, we will all see that God has helped us out thousands of times every day. whether we will accept and appreciate that is as much our decision as what we do with the bad things that happen to us.
It sounds as if you are implying that humans are so inadequate that we can do nothing without the guidance of this god. And we are supposedly made in his image?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
nebulous1 wrote:
So if you make up your own god to suit your fancy, that makes him real?
Everyone makes up their own god! Unless we have come face to face with god, what else can we do but make up our own god? All we think we know about god comes from second hand information or something that we believe. Most of us know absolutely nothing about god, only what we've read, heard, or imagined. This being the case, why not imagine a god that you realy like, rather than a god that wants something from you and punishes you if you don't do what that god supposedly wants from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality