Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,942,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The earth and humanity are cursed by the sin of Adam and Eve. Cancer is the mutation of DNA in cells causing a rapid multiplication of cells. Cancer among other things was caused by Adam and Eves "original sin". So a child who gets cancer is feeling the effects of the sin of Adam and Eve. The child itself may never have sinned.
Yeouch! Thats tough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,188,854 times
god doesn't "allow" bad things to happen. First of all, there is no god. And, if there was a god she would be a woman (and probably a black woman).

Secondly, bad things sometimes happen for no apparent reason. The correct phrase for describing this is, "s**t happens."

There was an excellent book a few years ago "When Bad things Happen to Good People" by a rabbi Kushner, whose son had a very serious rare disease. He had an interesting chaos theory if I remember right.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

571 posts, read 853,882 times
Things don't always happen for a reason. They just happen, theres no god behind it. If there was a god behind it, that makes him an a$$h@le who deserves to be shot.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The earth and humanity are cursed by the sin of Adam and Eve. Cancer is the mutation of DNA in cells causing a rapid multiplication of cells. Cancer among other things was caused by Adam and Eves "original sin". So a child who gets cancer is feeling the effects of the sin of Adam and Eve. The child itself may never have sinned.

As far a experiencing physical pain, would you rather not feel pain say if you touched a hot stove and just have your hand burn away. So, pain is a good reaction in our bodies against something that is harmful. Should a mother and father needlessless force their child to experience pain? NO! That is abserd. But if they were going to get a vaccine shot. The temporary pain is well worth the long term benifits. I am not advocating any child abuse. So, is it God who is abusing peoples children? NO! It is the parrent of the children and they should be put on trial for their abuse.

Children shouldn't starve. But the countries that we see this happen have done this to themselves, often refussing foriegn aid. These children are starving because of evil people. When Christians and other humanitarian groups go into a country and feed people, everyone thinks it is great, but question why the people are starving and you will only get denial or anger.

Since all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, this includes children aswell. So children may be innocent because they are less experienced than us but they are not innocent of the sinful nature that is on all human beings.
I think that's a pretty sick way of looking at things...Just another fear tactic to convert and control, and totally disgusting in my mind.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,972,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
adam & eve were sinners just like thats why things happen. God is not in ppl when they commit horrific crimes, thats evil
What happened to God being the creator of everything? Did he not create Adam and Eve sinners?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
I haven't tried to make sense of this verse yet (haven't read any commentaries or anything). It's certainly an interesting one. But I don't know what it ultimately means. There are different kinds of evil (physical, moral, metaphysical). And "evil" is sometimes understood to be a "privation," or the "absence of good." It's the negation of something good.

And why can't the "free will defense" work if God is omniscient? I don't see the problem. God knows what we will freely choose to do. We're free, and he knows it:-)
He know what we will choose to do... yet he created us and continues to create us, rubber stamping it with his seal of approval. If there is something he disapproves of, including the sin of Adam and Eve, isn't he free to not continue to create us or to have not created us in the first place?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,354 times
If God constantly interfered, then we would be dependent on him for everything we did. That, to me, seems like the very thing he would try to avoid. God does little enough to show that he's there, but not so much that we become dependent and demanding.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Foreknowledge of an event has absolutely no bearing on the choices leading up to the event! If you saw into the future, and saw that tonight Matrix would eat an apple, that would have no bearing on Matrix's choice... it is "foreknowledge", not "predestination". Vastly different.
Your example fails the omnipotent creator test: if you looked into the future (before creating Matrix) and saw that Matrix will eat an apple but didn't want him to eat an apple then don't create him! That God created this world with what the world is currently experiencing (and by your example he was aware of how it will turn out with the whole foreknowledge bit), then everything as it is now has God's seal of approval.

Quote:
But this is off topic.

Why does God allow bad things to happen? For the same reason He allows good things to happen... but in all things, He want us to know He is there to turn to.
What's that reason?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Your example fails the omnipotent creator test: if you looked into the future (before creating Matrix) and saw that Matrix will eat an apple but didn't want him to eat an apple then don't create him! That God created this world with what the world is currently experiencing (and by your example he was aware of how it will turn out with the whole foreknowledge bit), then everything as it is now has God's seal of approval.
That is one of the most difficult things for me to swallow about the beginnings of good and evil from the religious perspective. I have a hard time believing that there is one sole entity that has the omniscience to know everything about everything but, despite all that, had {faith?} that his creation would not err and introduce evil into the world despite free will. Free will perhaps on our behalf, but wouldn't the omniscient creator still know what we were going to do as a result of our free will? It seriously does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
That is one of the most difficult things for me to swallow about the beginnings of good and evil from the religious perspective. I have a hard time believing that there is one sole entity that has the omniscience to know everything about everything but, despite all that, had {faith?} that his creation would not err and introduce evil into the world despite free will. Free will perhaps on our behalf, but wouldn't the omniscient creator still know what we were going to do as a result of our free will? It seriously does not make any sense whatsoever to me.
What my understanding boils down to is that "God" has been fixed into how humans view the world, how they wish to view the world, and "God" seems to not have certain choices allowed to him in order to make certain theological trains of thought work. In the end it's not about "why does God allow bad things to happen?" but instead is about "how can we excuse what we want God to be with what we can't ignore around us?"... and the web of stories becomes ever more tangled.

I heard a very interesting lecture by a rabbi regarding (some?) Jewish sages' understanding of how God even formed us and the universe in a world which his entity fully occupied: he restricted himself. Also, notice that the OT doesn't mince words about God being a vindictive, jealous, and often benevolent character. It seems to me that by turning away from Judaism Christians had found the freedom to edit and evolve their own concept of what they wish God to be, almost in a show of asserting difference from Judaism, and thus we have such discussions due to a deity image built on fanciful foundations.

Last edited by TwiloMike; 05-28-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality