Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by coosjoaquin
Quote:
EDIT: Going back on topic, an Impotent, non-omniscient god can still be benevolent and could explain why there is suffering
Who said love is logical?
Love, like self-sacrifice, cannot be explained by logic alone.

I only believe that God = Love and that you should treat others the way you want to be treated, the rest is all irrelevant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

and that you should treat others the way you want to be treated
Thats something we can both agree on

Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No. Brought on by people making the wrong choice and wrong choices have consequences.
And those choices were known to God, per your own post (quotation bolded below), before he chose to create this world and its people and their consequences:

"And yes He know what was going to happen, that's why long before Adam and Eve, before the foundation of the world He planned on Jesus coming to die on the cross for us."

So by your own post, the consequences of our actions are really the consequences of God's informed decision to create those consequences. So the buck does stop with God and he does bear ultimate responsibility. Or are you backing away from what you posted earlier?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
And those choices were known to God, per your own post (quotation bolded below), before he chose to create this world and its people and their consequences:

"And yes He know what was going to happen, that's why long before Adam and Eve, before the foundation of the world He planned on Jesus coming to die on the cross for us."

So by your own post, the consequences of our actions are really the consequences of God's informed decision to create those consequences. So the buck does stop with God and he does bear ultimate responsibility. Or are you backing away from what you posted earlier?
Absolutely not! I still believe what I said. Yes God knows what is going to happen. He knows we sometimes make bad choices. But it is still us who makes the choice. God did not create the circumstances. He allows us the make choices and sometimes we make very bad choices.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 14,912 times
Cool somthing that makes you go HUMMMm

the why I look at this is how can there be good when everyone works so hard on taking God Out of everthing! What does that leave us with? somthing to think on

Old 06-02-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by michelle4433
Quote:
the why I look at this is how can there be good when everyone works so hard on taking God Out of everthing! What does that leave us with? somthing to think on
Well if God is jealous, vindictive, illogical and cruel and we take God out of everything humanity would likely be less jealous, less vindictive, more logical and less cruel.
In fact God would be more like Jesus’ interpretation of God.

Last edited by Tricky D; 06-02-2008 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle4433Well if God is jealous, vindictive, illogical and cruel and we take God out of everything humanity would likely be less jealous, less vindictive, more logical and less cruel.
In fact God would be more like Jesus’ interpretation of God.
But the kind of jealousy God has is not like being jealous of your neighbors stuff, nor is it vindictive, illogical or cruel, that describes human jealousy. Jesus Himself backs up the commandment to served only God in Matthew 4:10 when He said to worship the Lord your God and serve only Him. And by the way, Jesus is God
Here a post from Hoosier that I think sums it up very good:
Yeah, I believe God is a jealous God. However in his jealousy he does not and cannot sin. He desires our attention, our sacrifices, our worship. We were created to be in a relationship with Him. We were created to worship Him. I believe his jealousy stems from our sinful nature...our desire to seek other things rather than Him.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 AM

109 posts, read 388,252 times
More a philosophical than a religious debate, 'why are we here?' 'what is our purpose?' types of questions.

The fact that we're asking these questions gives away some of the answer. We are sentient beings with free will - we can choose. If God, as a higher agency were to deprive us of this, of our humanity, then we wouldn't be human. More automatons programmed to act in a certain way, so the question wouldn't emerge. It's a question of perspective.

Life is a struggle and being human is a struggle. God has provided us with the guidance we need to live a life of plenty and love and the best of our situation. The teachings of the Prophets and Manifestation of God, Zorastra, Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab, and Baha'ullah have come at times and in places to show us how we should live our lives or aspire to live our lives.

People turn away from the path or ignore it completely, the inherent fallibility of the human condition manifests itself invariably in the actions of our represenatives and what we do day-to-day.

I'm not saying the examples given are not awful, they are tragic, but perhaps that says more about us than it does about God.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA
Quote:
But the kind of jealousy God has is not like being jealous of your neighbors stuff, nor is it vindictive, illogical or cruel, that describes human jealousy. Jesus Himself backs up the commandment to served only God in Matthew 4:10 when He said to worship the Lord your God and serve only Him. And by the way, Jesus is God
This is generally what Christians believe, but I do not believe that Jesus = Christ who also is God.
Beings that are jealous only demand, therefore cannot be love, ergo God who is love cannot be jealous. Love does not demand, it might ask something, but it will never demand anything.
I believe that Jesus believes that God=Love.

Quote:
Here a post from Hoosier that I think sums it up very good:
Yeah, I believe God is a jealous God. However in his jealousy he does not and cannot sin.
I simply do not accept any dogma. Believing that God cannot sin is a dogma, because if you did not accept several dogmas the Bible in its entirety would become totally incomprehensible and / or without logic.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA This is generally what Christians believe, but I do not believe that Jesus = Christ who also is God.
Beings that are jealous only demand, therefore cannot be love, ergo God who is love cannot be jealous. Love does not demand, it might ask something, but it will never demand anything.
I believe that Jesus believes that God=Love.

I simply do not accept any dogma. Believing that God cannot sin is a dogma, because if you did not accept several dogmas the Bible in its entirety would become totally incomprehensible and / or without logic.
Well Jesus being God is another thread (well I guess all of this should be in another thread, it is off topic)
But God's jealousy is not like human jealousy, He does not want us to make stuff more important than Him.
Ans surely you don't think that God who is perfect can sin???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality