Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times

Advertisements

How about hunting? No anesthetic is used there, yet I don't see anyone calling for the ban of hunting. How about when you catch a couple of fish on a camping trip and clean them for supper. I've never heard of anesthetic being used then. It's clear to me that halal and kosher slaughter are being specifically targetted for being Muslim and Jewish practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
How about hunting? No anesthetic is used there, yet I don't see anyone calling for the ban of hunting. How about when you catch a couple of fish on a camping trip and clean them for supper. I've never heard of anesthetic being used then. It's clear to me that halal and kosher slaughter are being specifically targetted for being Muslim and Jewish practices.
Ethical hunters, whom I'm certain form by far the majority of hunters, won't take a shot unless they feel quite certain it will be a kill shot. It's in no one's best interest to track a wounded animal.

As a life-long fisherman, I can only pass on what I practice - and preach. All fish destined for my frying pan or smoker are killed by a sharp blow to the head and put on ice within seconds of being unhooked.

All others (90%-95% of the fish I catch) are released at boat or river side, none the worse for wear.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess there really is nothing new under the sun.

This is not a religious tolerance issue, it's just a symptom of culture clash and it happens whenever a new group of people start to feel threatening (rightly or wrongly) to the majority of another culture. Curious or seemingly impractical religious practices are simply easy targets to attack.

Europe is feeling this dynamic particularly hard with the Arabs and USA with Latino immigrants.

The cure is mutual understanding and hefty amounts of cross-communication to cool those usually irrational and flat-out wrong fears and stereotypes about the "foreigners".

Get to know them... you'll find out they are people too and that while change is inevitable, you aren't in imminent danger just because they are living next door.
It's colonialism but the other way around; Europeans and Usonians are now on the receiving end of what they once dished out. Although they are still the economic powers contrary to Asian history.

Great Powers usually don't get as much legitimacy in their struggles though, I don't know how it will turn out but I doubt there could be a "freedom movement."

They should probably move to make sure those immigrants who don't want to incorporate the best of both cultures have easy access to settling back at their original homelands.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Halal and kosher slaughtering methods are FAR more humane that what actually happens in US slaughterhouses. The animals are supposed to be stunned and killed, but because of the speed required to move the line the animals are frequently being cut up while still alive and aware.

And although I understand how important it is as a religious ritual, I hope that someday we move past the point of accepting cutting off babies body parts. I think the ONLY reason newborn circumcision should be allowed is for devoutly religious Jews and Muslims.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
I don't believe in factionist exemptions. If we are going to allow certain religious groups something, than it should be available to whomever seeks to do that specific activity, whether their religion matches or not. I don't think we should be legislating religion, although our representatives and voted-in government employees often do try that very thing with tax exemptions and whatnot.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess there really is nothing new under the sun.

This is not a religious tolerance issue, it's just a symptom of culture clash and it happens whenever a new group of people start to feel threatening (rightly or wrongly) to the majority of another culture. Curious or seemingly impractical religious practices are simply easy targets to attack.

Europe is feeling this dynamic particularly hard with the Arabs and USA with Latino immigrants.

The cure is mutual understanding and hefty amounts of cross-communication to cool those usually irrational and flat-out wrong fears and stereotypes about the "foreigners".

Get to know them... you'll find out they are people too and that while change is inevitable, you aren't in imminent danger just because they are living next door.
I agree...I don't care who wears what...As long as it doesn't hurt sombody else...

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
The countries with such bans have high rates of anti-semitism according to studies by the ADL. Look at Germany, Poland and France. ADL Survey in Ten European Countries Finds Anti-Semitism at Disturbingly High Levels

Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Halal and kosher slaughtering methods are FAR more humane that what actually happens in US slaughterhouses. The animals are supposed to be stunned and killed, but because of the speed required to move the line the animals are frequently being cut up while still alive and aware.

And although I understand how important it is as a religious ritual, I hope that someday we move past the point of accepting cutting off babies body parts. I think the ONLY reason newborn circumcision should be allowed is for devoutly religious Jews and Muslims.
If something is wrong, it's wrong. If youthink there's a reasonto stop me from circumcising random people without consent, then it's wrong for everybody.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The countries with such bans have high rates of anti-semitism according to studies by the ADL. Look at Germany, Poland and France. ADL Survey in Ten European Countries Finds Anti-Semitism at Disturbingly High Levels
You are trying to say that Jews are into female circumcision?

I would think the argument about male circumcision is whether or not it is a good thing to do.

I gather the latest data suggests it is not.

If however it is not clear whether it is or is not a good thing to do I suggest leaving it as it is.

Female circumcision appears to be a bad thing pretty clearly. So we should not allow it.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are trying to say that Jews are into female circumcision?

I would think the argument about male circumcision is whether or not it is a good thing to do.

I gather the latest data suggests it is not.

If however it is not clear whether it is or is not a good thing to do I suggest leaving it as it is.

Female circumcision appears to be a bad thing pretty clearly. So we should not allow it.
Female circumcision does NOT appear in the Quran or the Bible. It is *completely* a regional/ethnic thing that has nothing to do with religion. It should be banned outright, worldwide, and the people who do it should be imprisoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality