Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There is one expression that particularly annoys me: "Love the sinner, but hate the sin." I am not against the concept or meaning behind it, but rather the verbal or written expression of it directed at someone deemed "the sinner" by those who practice religion.

One thing is clear: it judgemental and patronizing in the extreme.

Imagine telling someone "Oh, I love you Albert ... love you as my own brother ... but you're fat and that's a result of your gluttony. Gluttony is one of the Seven Deadly Sins! I don't want you to burn in hell for eternity! I love you enough to tell you that you are a Glutton. I want you to stop the sinful behavior of gluttony. You weren't born a Glutton, but chose to engage in that sinful behavior."

Now I seriously doubt that anyone reading this ever said that to an overweight person.

The expression is more often than not hurled at gay people by self-professed "Christians."

If you entertain such a position, may I respectfully and politely request that you do not voice your opinion to someone you deem to be engaging in sinful yet legal behavior. It is rude. Perhaps the person your opinion is directed at is not a Christian and doesn't even believe in "sin." Perhaps the other person will construe you as being self righteous and you are "casting the first stone."
It only took 200 posts but I think I finally come to understand what you mean.

You are correct the way the statement is used is often a disguised condemnation at best and possibly a poorly hidden direct attack on a person's character. For some it may be the epitome of a self righteousness statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

You are correct the way the statement is used is often a disguised condemnation at best and possibly a poorly hidden direct attack on a person's character. For some it may be the epitome of a self righteousness statement.
Exactly, my friend.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, fascism tends to result in thought control. You don't dare to speak out against the ruling class, or you will be beaten down. We've seen that in recent months when people dare to suggest homosexuality isn't good or healthy.
I think you have confused that with the stuff you preach. Want to see thought control in action, go to any church in the country on Sunday.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:34 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Exactly, my friend.
Ding, ding, ding!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
OK? I personally know of a woman that told me directly that she and her boyfriend were "living in sin". They KNOW they are sinning, and the KNOW that they are not doing what God wants them to do.
And by all evidence, they're fine with that. Why be a nosy fussbudget?

Quote:
How so? I know I'm a sinner. I know I'm not perfect. Why is it "judgmental and patronizing" to say the same of someone else?
Here's another 'why' question: why are you so determined to make everyone follow your moral position? Is it hurting you in some way? Are you weakened by some kind of spiritual 'kryptonite' when someone doesn't do what you feel is 'appropriate'?

Quote:
Yes--we are often very tacky and rude. But it doesn't change the fact that it's an immoral behavior.
Nor does change the fact that you're being tacky and rude. It's none of my business -- or yours -- who lives with whom and why.

Quote:
So is telling someone that they should shut up and not try to help people. So please stop it.
Nobody's saying not to help people. We're saying that you shouldn't wave your supposed 'religious superiority' in other people's faces, Vizio, it's just that simple.

Quote:
So you'd just prefer to leave people in their dangerous lifestyle and let them self-destruct? That's not very loving.
I'd prefer to leave people alone, and let them live their lives as they see fit. I highly doubt that anyone comes up and lectures you on the perils of being straight, or tries to convert you.

Honestly, Vizio, you just don't seem to understand the most basic rules of civility.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
On a side note, who's going to tell these cute gay penguins they are sinners? Do you think their friends gave them the heads up, you know the birds that go to church. lol
Denmark's Gay Penguins Become Fathers

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 3,569 times
God hates satan and satan and not just his sins .

Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
You, actually. You are ignoring my statements and trying to force your opinion.

Once again...we are not talking about skin color. Despite your repeated attempts to link skin color and sexual behavior, they are not the same. Are you able to comprehend the argument? Do you understand the idea that you are begging the question by making this leap in logic?

I'm done. At this point you're simply unable to be reasoned with. I don't know...maybe you are not capable of thinking logically, maybe you're incapable of understanding the point. Maybe you're just unwilling to admit when you have no case.

I get it...you think 2 men should be able to get married, or 2 women. I disagree. Until you can make the case to me that homosexuality is equivalent to skin color and that it requires equal treatment, we are not going to get anywhere.
Gay people work, pay taxes, and serve on juries. If they face the same obligations and duties as straight people, they should get the same rights including marriage. Are you capable of understanding that very simple point? We agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality