Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 04:41 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your questions are getting sillier and sillier.
it's a viable question. Can you answer it? Or are you just going to duck and dodge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
it's a viable question. Can you answer it? Or are you just going to duck and dodge?
I'm going to give you all the time you need to try to figure out the answer for yourself.

And I won't hold my breath.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
So explain. How or what tells you that an action is wrong? I keep asking you that. Maybe you're just unable to comprehend the question. Maybe you don't want to.
::Sigh::What obliviousness . . . What God has "written in our hearts" in agape love tells us what is right and wrong, Vizio . . . NOT some ancient words "written in ink" by our ignorant primitive ancestors!! Morality does NOT depend on the whim and caprice of God. It is objective and absolute based on agape love because God IS agape love . . . NOT some capricious dictator. There is only one morality and it is always the same regardless who does it (even God), period. Only our ignorant ancestors thought otherwise and claimed God did immoral things. That is the veil of ignorance over reading the OT that Christ came to lift!!! You and those like you retain that veil of ignorance and pervert the Gospel of Christ by excusing and rationalizing Evil as Good because you believe somehow God was involved. It is a travesty of human perversity and double-mindedness. Morality is NOT flexible . . . not even God can alter what is immoral and make it moral.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
I have no reason to suggest my subjective opinion of morality is above anyone else's. Nor am I making such a claim.
If you using your subjective opinion to pick and choose from the Bible isn't an issue, why would you question the reasons behind anyone else doing the same from various other sources?

And again, the fact that all people seem to do this is even more evidence that morality is subjective.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEnjoyChrist View Post
Atheist morality - a Christian's point of view. --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pFbZ8Zsb2M
The guy in the video seriously needs to get a clue. I've heard more intelligent arguments from a 7 year old.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
What tells you that?
The same thing that tells YOU that ... unless you're some kind of sociopath, as I said; unless you're just faking your humanity and blindly following the dictates of your religion.

Otherwise, good ol' fashioned empathy tells me that. Again, as I've stated before, there ARE certain universals which exist inside the parameters of being a normal human being.

Quote:
Yah...you really do need to make the argument. To just assume something is called "begging the question". It's a logical fallacy.
No ... I don't. The only reason why there is any question over God's actions in the OT being immoral is because it was God. If any mortal had committed those same actions for the same reasons, that person would be considered the biggest monster in all of human history.

You would be hard pressed indeed to find anyone who would regard the actions in the OT as moral, good, and righteous if you took God out of the equation. Saying I have to somehow prove those actions are immoral is just a heaping helping of equivocation.

Quote:
OK. If you believe that, great. But I'm still waiting for you to come up with the question of why something is immoral?
More equivocation.

Quote:
I've never suggested that we ONLY base our legal system off of the Biblical commands.
Yes, that is EXACTLY what you are suggesting whether you realize it or not. According to you, the only justified morality comes from God. We only know what comes from God by studying the Bible. Anything else, again according to you, cannot be justified. Unless, of course, you can answer your own questions with secular ideas. No religion.

Quote:
But again...the fact remains that just because you consider something wrong....no one else is required to agree with you.
You're right, they don't have to agree with me. But if enough do, then it has the potential to become a moral rule. There are plenty of things some people find immoral that I find to be silly - like profanity. Then again, when it comes to business practices, there's a list a mile long that I find immoral that others do not.

Quote:
Actually, we are not required to adhere to 3000 year old laws. Those laws were given to a specific set o people at a specific time. I'm not one of them.
Your version of morality has to be legitimized and accredited by your God - and that happens within the pages of a 3,000 year-old book with laws that are equally that old. Your moral view on homosexuality is just one case in point. Fornication ... yet another case in point.

Quote:
That's a different thread. I'd be happy to explain the cosmological argument for you. But it's not a part of this thread.
The cosmological argument has been thoroughly debunked as merely the "God of the Gaps" argument. We don't know yet, therefore, God.

Quote:
Glad you FINALLY agree that there is such a thing as objective morality. You think it just got there by random happenstance...but I believe God programmed it that way.
No.

Murder is just a subset of killing - and prohibitions on killing are not absolute. But even assuming this is objective morality, there is no reason whatsoever to believe God "programmed" it that way. I understand that believers are wont to fill every crack and crevice with their gods and their dogma, but there simply is no reason to assume that any god is responsible - and there is even less reason to believe it was your specific deity.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
The guy in the video seriously needs to get a clue. I've heard more intelligent arguments from a 7 year old.
He uses a lot of words to say nothing.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If you using your subjective opinion to pick and choose from the Bible isn't an issue, why would you question the reasons behind anyone else doing the same from various other sources?
I'm not picking and choosing. I'm certainly not looking at a list of commandments and deciding I just don't like one of them. You really need to understand the idea of context. This has been a recurring issue with you and others on this very thread, much less this board. I've seen no attempt at all in understanding it. It tells me that you just don't want to, and that it must be your intent to just talk past me.
Quote:
And again, the fact that all people seem to do this is even more evidence that morality is subjective.
Then I guess your position is that you cannot possibly tell anyone that they're wrong. I guess that includes the murderer, the rapist, the petty thief, etc.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
...snip...

Then I guess your position is that you cannot possibly tell anyone that they're wrong. I guess that includes the murderer, the rapist, the petty thief, etc.
You guess wrong.

Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality