Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:57 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,370,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Even more so, I've never heard of a Lutheran beheading a Muslim for refusing to convert.
Did you say that you never heard of Lutherans beheading anyone? If so I would suggest taking time out to read about the Protestant Reformations and the decades of bloodshed spilt by both Protestants and Catholics. When one thinks about the Protestant Reformation and calls for a Islamic reformation, based on the amount of violence, one might think that they've gotten what they wished for.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 PM

18,565 posts, read 9,261,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Did you say that you never heard of Lutherans beheading anyone? If so I would suggest taking time out to read about the Protestant Reformations and the decades of bloodshed spilt by both Protestants and Catholics. When one thinks about the Protestant Reformation and calls for a Islamic reformation, based on the amount of violence, one might think that they've gotten what they wished for.
Lutherans heavily persecuted the Anabaptists. Naturally, I was never taught about it in my Lutheran confirmation classes.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,702,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We are not that concerned about China. If the Christian population (4%) doubled in 15 years, it would still be a minority religion there. Buddhism (10%) would beat it into second place. (irreligion 50 -odd %, though declaring as atheist -as you would probably rush to point out- is 16% last look)

In five years, should American society find its way to rid itself of it religious delusions, then China would have ten years to come to its senses too.

If it doesn't that's China's problem, not ours. and you can live in a secular society where religion has no more influence than Astrology, telling yourself that you still have a lot of fellow believers reciting their Bible.

In Chinese.
I'm glad to live in the US as respects the reduced mojo of organized religion...since I've never been much of a fan.
But I'm not gonna fool myself.
That would be like making the statement, "Pollution from coal fired power plants is way down"...and then only citing the US, and not mentioning China where they bring a new plant on line every week.
It distorts the greater validity of the message...by telling only a small part of the story.
I prefer to draw conclusions and make my determinations working with ALL the available information...not just a little piece of it.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpfoodie View Post
That is one professor's guess about what might happen down the road. It is not present data. From the article:
Yeah, well...if it's even half true...it is a lock for the growth of Theism/Religion outstripping the growth of Atheism on a global basis, many, many times over.
If you dispute what this Professor Fenggang Yang says...lets see YOUR info that rebuts it.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,343,508 times
Default Poll on american's religious beliefs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/up...tian.html?_r=0

It shows a drop of 8 percent in 8 years for people identifying with Christianity. All denominations, minus evangelical protestants, have seen a decline as well. Of course whether this will level off soon remains to be seen. It does tell me that all the "Mega Churches", *which according to many city-data posters are filled to bursting with youth* are not increasing the amount of Christians leaving the Church.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm glad to live in the US as respects the reduced mojo of organized religion...since I've never been much of a fan.
But I'm not gonna fool myself.
That would be like making the statement, "Pollution from coal fired power plants is way down"...and then only citing the US, and not mentioning China where they bring a new plant on line every week.
It distorts the greater validity of the message...by telling only a small part of the story.
I prefer to draw conclusions and make my determinations working with ALL the available information...not just a little piece of it.
If percentage pollution was as low in China as is Christianity, we could all breathe easier.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
If percentage pollution was as low in China as is Christianity, we could all breathe easier.
I never discount the power and influence of the Abrahamic religions...they have more than proved themselves over a very long time.
If I were you...I wouldn't bet against them grabbing a big slice of that huge pie.
My prediction...China is gonna be very polluted and very religious (way more than they are now) by the time we exit.
You are about to watch religion made huge gains globally...mainly because of Christianity in China...like it or not.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:43 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,049,706 times
Quote:
Just like all the millions who could breath easier who died at the hands of communist Russia once they got rid of Christianity.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:46 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,881,697 times
It's interesting that while atheists and agnostics saw modest gains, the biggest increase is people who identify as "nothing in particular".

Non-Christian faiths also saw a modest increase.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,343,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
It's interesting that while atheists and agnostics saw modest gains, the biggest increase is people who identify as "nothing in particular".

Non-Christian faiths also saw a modest increase.
Yeah, I don't think people are not believing persay, but it's becoming more personal is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality