Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,881,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Northeast and Northwest keep on losing their religion.

New England and the Northwest are the least Christian parts of U.S. - LA Times

How much of this is due to changing beliefs among the "natives" or are there a lot of irreligious people moving to those places from other parts of the U.S.?
Given that the decrease was seen in varying degrees throughout the country, I don't think it was all due to transplants.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 PM

50,148 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just like all the millions who could breath easier who died at the hands of communist Russia once they got rid of Christianity.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It's down in Europe, in Canada, in South America, etc etc etc. Most of the gains are in China and Africa. And the latter won't likely will run into the same issues as America has in the next century.
It's up in Russia. From about 20% to 60% a rush back to the Russian Orthodox church. I look forward with amusement to the polemics between Godfearing Russia and an increasingly Godless America.

Quote:
It won't end, but it will diminish over time. I doubt you will ever see the end of religion itself in our lifetimes though.
I'm sure we won't. Just removing the threat of its control over our society will do nicely, though.

Gldnrule "Wow...the Atheists sure get all tweaked out when faced with the fact that Atheism is STILL losing to religion (on a worldwide basis)...and will long remain the nuthin' concept it was and is."

Wouldn't you like to think so, in order to..prove something to yourself. In fact we are quite happy with the way things are going. It is rather you getting 'tweaked' that you need to assure yourself at such length that nothing is really changing.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-13-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,702,186 times
Quote:
Except that he isn't talking about worldwide, but America. You have a hard time reading what people post it seems.
Nope. I read just fine.
And noted that by just putting up stats for the U.S. it tainted the general title of the thread that stated, "Religion Down".
My response specifically expressed my understanding the OP was talking about America...only America. What part of that didn't you understand? It seems that YOU are the one having the hard time reading.

Also...my post you quoted was not to the OP, but to fishbrains...who stated:
"Religious faith tends to decline with education and wealth"...and..."It is a sad commentary that religion thrives on ignorance and poverty, and perishes in the light of knowledge"
I linked info that told a Real World story contrary to those statements.

Wow...the Atheists sure get all tweaked out when faced with the fact that Atheism is STILL losing to religion (on a worldwide basis)...and will long remain the nuthin' concept it was and is.
I have suggested adopting the Deities y'all invented like FSM and/or IPU...at least then you'll "fit in" better. And they are sure to have more mojo than Atheism ever will.
Just tryin' to help out.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,290,796 times
Oh goody. Yet another thread telling us that religion is dying.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM

50,148 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Don't you like to keep abreast of the situation? Besides, Gldnrule will be along in a minute to assure you that the figures really say that Christianity is winning more converts all the time and irreligion is doomed to be a nuthin for ever.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,290,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Don't you like to keep abreast of the situation? Besides, Gldnrule will be along in a minute to assure you that the figures really say that Christianity is winning more converts all the time and irreligion is doomed to be a nuthin for ever.
It's only that we get about 1 post a day lately telling us our religion is dead. The implication, of course, being that anyone that believes it is a gullible moron.

Honestly...people have been saying for 2000 years that Christianity was short-lived. Yet...it keeps going.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,641,747 times
Misleading headlines.

Atheists still only 3%, and Agnostics only 4%.

"Unaffiliated" is not Atheist or Agnostic.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

Old 05-13-2015, 04:04 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,641,747 times
I said it in the other thread and I'll post it here.

Atheist still only 3%, Agnostic only 4%.

"Unaffiliated" is unaffiliated with a particular church.

If they were really unbelievers, they would have said atheist or agnostic,
but did not. Heck, most "agnostics" believe in a God anyway.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

Old 05-13-2015, 04:04 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,881,697 times
Quote:
To be honest, the polls shows organized Christianity to be on the decline, not religion.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,343,508 times
Quote:
It's only that we get about 1 post a day lately telling us our religion is dead. The implication, of course, being that anyone that believes it is a gullible moron.

Honestly...people have been saying for 2000 years that Christianity was short-lived. Yet...it keeps going.
You keep on posting that old chestnut as if it's really valid. At what point did anyone past the early history of Christianity even say that? The fact is that in the western world religion is a declining entity. That does not translate into the death of christianity, but that it's going to less of a force in the future is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality