Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 AM

135 posts, read 128,123 times

Advertisements

Someone else's claim that they experienced god first hand is pretty unconvincing though. How do they know what they experienced was god or supernatural at all? Multiple people claim to have been visited by god but then tell conflicting stories about what it really wants.

Muslim extremists can claim Allah visited them and justified the bombing of civilians while at the same time a Christian can say God told them all acts of violence are wrong. As someone who has not been visited by god I have no reason to believe any of it more then people who claim to be probed by aliens. They can't all be right but they can all be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:27 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since my entire life was overturned by my initial experience . . . writings of all kinds became absolutely crucial to aiding me over the decades to explain and understand what I experienced.
The next time you and God get together for a chat, ask Him why it is that he chooses to make contact with some of his children, and no apparent effort at all to make contact with others? Some might consider this favoritism. It certainly seems to single out some individuals and make them "special." God has never contacted me at all over the course of my 66 years, even when, as a child, I actually believed there was a God. "What's the matter Pop, don't ya love me? What makes this Mystic guy so 'special?'"

Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We can not know anything about worship unless we have found reason to love God(sat)
and our goal becomes a desire to strengthen a close and personal relationship.
Yes...when we are given a direct, intimate experience of the Divine...we can not help
but be a lover for life of 'He Who adores us and sustains us'...we also know in 'Him' is
only love...any words otherwise are from those, caught in intellect, that have not experienced
'Him' or the Holy Spirit, Who is only love, Who is our True Higher Self...with no room for any 'punishments or damnations'.

I have to ask myself ...Well, what is your motive...what would you like to change?
I would like more people to 'Be still..'...."Delight in the Lord..''....'know and understand' Him,(Jer 9:23)
themselves...intimately within their hearts...not only through pretty words....
Certainly not through words of fear.

If you speak of fear and God together...a common one is you are not saved if you do not
believe xxxx
...then, my friend, you do not know God.
I invite you to, please...inside...it may take years, hours of being still to prepare a place
for Him...but nothing is more important...
and be prepared to speak only of His Love from then on.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
The next time you and God get together for a chat, ask Him why it is that he chooses to make contact with some of his children, and no apparent effort at all to make contact with others? Some might consider this favoritism. It certainly seems to single out some individuals and make them "special." God has never contacted me at all over the course of my 66 years, even when, as a child, I actually believed there was a God. "What's the matter Pop, don't ya love me? What makes this Mystic guy so 'special?'"
When you have 10 children ...you love them all ...when you come home
from work and one leaves the TV and rushes to you...who gets picked up
and tossed in the air? Who gets slipped a little more ice cream after dinner?

Is one loved more than another, no...does one get special treatment, yes...why?
Because he has opened himself to his dad's love...more.

The Sun shines impersonally on the criminal and the saint...but still...the
one that sunbathes gets the tan.

It really is a simple equation...very logical...where does one place their focus...where does
one place themselves?
In the TV room or running to greet Daddy?

I hope this helps a little bit.

I find those with deep chips on their shoulder, an ax to grind, are never effected
by these words tho...they become these professional nay-sayers.
Don't anyone be that way...nothing ages you faster than this stress and shuts down
your heart to joy.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's all...

What is there in writings, speculation and opinion...that matches up
with a Direct Experience? Huh?...what?

I mean ...talk with someone that had an NDE...what can you say that matches they
'experienced' all is One...that All is perfect...that ALL is part of a perfect system...
ALL is 'ok'.
Love...be kind...learn and keep gaining more knowledge...

?

I see vanity...come ON!
I don't know if this qualifies as a NDE or if I was old enough, but I did think about the next day's Sunday school and G-d. On December 2, 1967 (link), I was skating on Quaker Ridge Golf Course. From what I remember it was a warmish day following an unseasonably early cold snap. I decided to skate a bit too close to the "Mamaroneck Road" side of the lake (as opposed to the "Herkimer Road" side). I fell in. I was eventually rescued by a combination of Fred B (Norman B's brother) and Jay F's quick thinking. Jay tied a rope around his waste and Fred held it from shore, while Jay pulled me in. Were it not for Fred, Norman, Jay, and Howard Young, the others who were there, I wouldn't be typing this post.

But G-d was definitely on my mind as occasionally I dropped below water line level.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
When you have 10 children ...you love them all ...when you come home
from work and one leaves the TV and rushes to you...who gets picked up
and tossed in the air? Who gets slipped a little more ice cream after dinner?

Is one loved more than another, no...does one get special treatment, yes...why?
Because he has opened himself to his dad's love...more.

The Sun shines impersonally on the criminal and the saint...but still...the
one that sunbathes gets the tan.

It really is a simple equation...very logical...where does one place their focus...where does
one place themselves?
In the TV room or running to greet Daddy?

I hope this helps a little bit.

I find those with deep chips on their shoulder, an ax to grind, are never effected
by these words tho...they become these professional nay-sayers.
Don't anyone be that way...nothing ages you faster than this stress and shuts down
your heart to joy.
Except of course in this case "Daddy" is invisible, never makes a sound, and is different in no obvious way from a Daddy who was never actually there to begin with.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
Someone else's claim that they experienced god first hand is pretty unconvincing though. How do they know what they experienced was god or supernatural at all? Multiple people claim to have been visited by god but then tell conflicting stories about what it really wants.

Muslim extremists can claim Allah visited them and justified the bombing of civilians while at the same time a Christian can say God told them all acts of violence are wrong. As someone who has not been visited by god I have no reason to believe any of it more then people who claim to be probed by aliens. They can't all be right but they can all be wrong.
Hey now...don't use your brain like that! It's just rude.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Mysterious ways.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:16 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Since my entire life was overturned by my initial experience . . . writings of all kinds became absolutely crucial to aiding me over the decades to explain and understand what I experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
No one is special. You are misunderstanding the problem, Tired. What you are essentially complaining about is analogous to an inability to understand mathematics and language if you don't learn and practice the disciplines. You have developed the left brain disciplines of language and mathematics . . . but the equivalent disciplines of the right brain have been ignored. Our tendency to focus on and restrict our experiencing of reality to the obvious sensory system biases our perceptions of the true state of reality as a unified field. Everything is a manifestation of this field . . . with the most common forms being variations of energy/mass/momentum. Unfortunately the forms amenable to our usual senses and measurements are only 5% or less of our reality.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
No one is special. You are misunderstanding the problem, Tired. What you are essentially complaining about is analogous to an inability to understand mathematics and language if you don't learn and practice the disciplines. You have developed the left brain disciplines of language and mathematics . . . but the equivalent disciplines of the right brain have been ignored. Our tendency to focus on and restrict our experiencing of reality to the obvious sensory system biases our perceptions of the true state of reality as a unified field. Everything is a manifestation of this field . . . with the most common forms being variations of energy/mass/momentum. Unfortunately the forms amenable to our usual senses and measurements are only 5% or less of our reality.
That's quackery. You have as much evidence for those claims as the Christian fundamentalists have for their claims: zero.

And the hemispheric dominance thing is a myth:

Left Brain vs. Right: It's a Myth, Research Finds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality