Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:50 AM

689 posts, read 495,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're right, there is another option. The deity is unable to help. So, the deity is either powerless, malevolent, or non-existent.
Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Well, gee, I don't snap my fingers and am surrounded by the air tingling, electric, charged and changed, then, am over come in an altered state.

But, life is kind of like pavement or paving a road in front of you...if my life
has been filled with thoughts of fears about thieves, liars, swindlers and muggers...
it's like I am paving my future. Ick.

If I am filled each day with thoughts of life being easy, fun, then, 'nothin but blue skies will I see'.
That is my personal experience...yes, you can also find words like this in books...because it happens to so many...
we are able to consciously see our own creating.

So I have spent decades loving God, thinking of God, researching, talking about, talking to, waiting for, opening, expecting, seeking, getting to know God....so I receive
what anyone could receive, but I have prepared the way,
the opening, I have a softened heart.

Often people have abandoned any thought that there is a God bec of
childhood traumas where they have asked God for help and gotten none.

But what is not understood or considered is there are WAY WAY bigger
things happening ...a WAY WAY bigger picture.

But, I digress....I am not here to convince anyone there is a Spirit that created
All That Is...or to explain why.
I certainly could! But, why? It would only be words!

Wait a bit, trust a bit...open a door for an experience.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the more accurate statement is that is is highly likely to be hogwash ... or less provocatively, "without basis".

Everyone who claims a vital connection to the Divine claims it's freely available to all who will but go through the steps that the claimant has gone through. Even assuming for the sake of argument that all claimants went through the same allegedly correct steps, it ends up as circular reasoning: if you don't get the same results, you aren't doing it right.

This all sounds suspiciously like the person who, when you relate some physical ailment or injury, confidently pronounces that they had that happen to them too, and they did X, so you should do X. As If X was the true solution, the only solution, or that it would work for me simply because it works for them. If I had a nickel for every time someone projects their solutions onto me I'd be rich.

I went through one particular list of approved steps for connection to god over a period of 30 years and it did not result in either the connection or in desired life outcomes. I am willing to admit that I might have gone about it in the wrong way but I am simply not willing to jump through more hoops or commit more intellectual suicide to get to a better place. However ... understanding what I now do about human perceptual quirks and tendency to make questionable connections / draw questionable conclusions in an attempt to understand aspects of life that are essentially random and disordered, and further understanding that most humans, most of the time, never achieve a satisfying connection with the Divine, even as loosely defined by New Age thought ... it would seem a very foolish use of my time and energy to try to "seek" or "open myself" to any god(s) all over again. Especially since the most I can hope for is a compelling illusion, or perhaps still more far-fetched, to be one of those lucky few who end up so happy that life and its challenges no longer matter to them.
I think in the bolded, we are similar. Once burned, twice shy. At this point, I'm pretty content without a felt connection. Maybe I'm still decompressing from the rabid amount of energy I exerted as a Christian of the fundamentalist persuasion. Maybe I never will decompress enough to try again.

Quote:
A god who truly wants to connect with me will be able to reach me. A god who truly wants to connect with humans generally, will reach most if not all humans by hook or by crook. It's not on me anymore. I've paid my dues. And the only result is that I have zero belief / faith anymore. So now it is not only ethically in god's court, it is necessarily so.
It may be that it really is all on us to make the effort, for whatever reason. Maybe making the effort, or trying and failing and trying again, are even important parts of the process. I don't know. But, if it's not important at this point in time for us to make the effort then we obviously won't. Maybe that feeling will change for us at some point, maybe not. But other people have made an effort and have experienced something that, for them, is undeniably a positive experience of God. I'm not willing to discount their experiences as invalid simply because I haven't also experienced it. If their experiences provoked unhealthy attitudes and/or behaviors, that would be a different matter.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:03 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If their experiences provoked unhealthy attitudes and/or behaviors, that would be a different matter.
a wise and prudent distinction to make, thank you for this essential reminder

Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Btw, I had a very tough childhood...I don't want to get into the terrible dynamics...
I could not forgive my Father. Went to therapy, prayed for help, tried with logic...
I didn't get too far.

THEN, one day, unexpected, 2 years ago...a dawning vision, insight came and I 'saw' everything,
in the middle of a normal day!
Who he was in a past life...who I was in that life (1840s or so)....how terrible I was...
and how he agreed to be my Father, me a girl this time...
to treat me so consistently awful from my birth til the day he died, (I was told his comments when I was born).

I saw in this insight that he was my best friend willing to do this for me, so that
I would finally learn to not be mean to people...disregard their feelings, hurt them...
so that I could finally SEE/FEEL how painful my meanness was.

Well,....quite a turn around...hating my dad...to seeing what he was willing to do for me on a soul level to teach me to stop being a certain way.
I could not progress with this character flaw in me.

Just a personal story...might give someone a diff perspective on their own life situations....or not.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:16 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Another option...

God did "come through" in some way the poster has not recognized.
I'll try using that one on my boss when I fail to deliver a project on time.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
I can't tell you how to conjure God,
He is a person not an invention.
He knows your heart and what motivates you.
Jesus revealed this in His teaching, but men ignored Him.
Jesus provides the Holy Spirit to those that honestly seek Jesus Lordship in their life.
People with uterrior motives, or have had a history of dishonesty , are unlikely to recieve much attention. (Simply from expirence)
The level of resistance is relivant to the effort or urgency to be observed to prove to God one is serious.
In some folk, the moment they turn from self govern, and seek desprately after Gods govern, their lives are turned around.
Some, though they make a show of faith, do not actually seek seriously after God's govern.( not actually having abandoned self govern) and their inability to manipulate God frustrates "their faith" and sometimes give up.
I have known christians that state they are afraid of knowing God's voice.
That in it's self is a demonstration of fear, alienation, not faith in God.
With out Jesus being at the forefront of ones life, and being born of the Spirit and recieving the infilling of the Holy Spirit, one is limited in their knowledgr of how to pray .
In simple terms most effective prayer is agreeing with God, but you can't agree if you cannot hear.
So you begin by agreeing with what you do know God's assessment of you is.
That is something you've got to come to terms with .
Sin exists in you, so long as you lack His instruction, His govern.
Jesus said, bessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
Righteousness is not academics, it is obedience to the Father. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Every one's enconter with God is unique , ,and if you are trying to box in what your perameters for that are , you are still unrepentent.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'll try using that one on my boss when I fail to deliver a project on time.

In your equivalency, here, "the boss" is the person who had a project that they wanted God to do, and the employee is "God"?

Sounds like you have a little "God = genie in the bottle" syndrome.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:06 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I saw in this insight that he was my best friend willing to do this for me, so that
I would finally learn to not be mean to people...disregard their feelings, hurt them...

Well,....quite a turn around...hating my dad...to seeing what he was willing to do for me on a soul level to teach me to stop being a certain way.
that is a very high level of understanding
that our worst enemies in life / at a soul level have our best interests at heart
for someone to volunteer to be the bad guy and basically be hated and reviled / is a very high act of love
it is like actors in a play assuming a character, playing a role. at the end of the play they reveal who they "really" are and how very much I am loved. we both agreed at a soul level to this prior to incarnating.

as strange as the notion is, when I first heard this, in a similar situation seeking to recover from a very abusive childhood, it gave dignity and purpose to the worst degradation. since my soul chose to experience this, it must have had a really really good reason, and i set out to claim the blessing. my quality of life and well being has increased steadily every since

Old 06-29-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Btw, I had a very tough childhood...I don't want to get into the terrible dynamics...
I could not forgive my Father. Went to therapy, prayed for help, tried with logic...
I didn't get too far.

THEN, one day, unexpected, 2 years ago...a dawning vision, insight came and I 'saw' everything,
in the middle of a normal day!
Who he was in a past life...who I was in that life (1840s or so)....how terrible I was...
and how he agreed to be my Father, me a girl this time...
to treat me so consistently awful from my birth til the day he died, (I was told his comments when I was born).

Just a personal story...might give someone a diff perspective on their own life situations....or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that is a very high level of understanding
that our worst enemies in life / at a soul level have our best interests at heart
for someone to volunteer to be the bad guy and basically be hated and reviled / is a very high act of love

as strange as the notion is, when I first heard this, in a similar situation seeking to recover from a very abusive childhood, it gave dignity and purpose to the worst degradation. since my soul chose to experience this, it must have had a really really good reason, and i set out to claim the blessing. my quality of life and well being has increased steadily every since
Well, I'm calling BS on this. Hate does not drive out hate, and darkness does not drive out darkness. Abuse is both hate and darkness and to call it love, perverts the meaning of love.

aisi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality