Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 01:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
A county clerk has far fewer duties and far less authority than the mayor of a major city or the POTUS, for crying out loud.

Maybe we liberals didn't have a comeback because we just didn't want to engage in a) A question that would lead to politics thus leading to the thread being locked and b) Because the comparison is too inept to really want to take the immense amount of time it would take to explain WHY it is inept.

I will say that if the POTUS decided on a whim to start withholding everyone's Social Security checks, action would be taken. But neither the mayor of SF or the POTUS is doing anything so directly to the American people as this clerk is doing. She is CLEARLY breaking the law and such a definitive "case closed" prima facie case that violates the civil rights of an entire demographic group needs to be dealt with post haste. And that's a very simplistic answer, though why I'm talking to a forum sniper, I have no idea.
Sometimes the political decision is refrain from doing harm. It is quite interesting to me that here in Colorado MJ use is legalized but the Federal Government is not locking it down. Being in a great deal of pain and having just begun using it (edible variety) I can testify that it is physically helpful---and I always had a moral aversion to use up until March of this year.

I do think it is a crack in another long-standing dam that will burst open as other states try to get in on the tax gravy train. I now see it as another attempt to legislate morality--kinda of like prohibition.

As for the hypocritical fundy clerk--someone will give her a job after she is fired.

I hope that is soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why not just go ahead and execute her publically? Long term imprisonment for a misdemeanor offense, really? The only ugly thing is when our government decided to rule for immorality.
It appears that the couples being denied licenses don't want her jailed, much less killed.
Quote:
Despite the delays, the couples' lawyers asked the judge to punish her with fines, not jail.

"Since Defendant Davis continues to collect compensation from the Commonwealth for duties she fails to perform," they asked Bunning to "impose financial penalties sufficiently serious and increasingly onerous" to "compel her immediate compliance without delay."

Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Couldn't she be jailed for contempt of court until she agrees to comply with the court order? That's what judges do when they think a reporter should reveal sources.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The appeals court has affirmed the lower court ruling. It would appear that the clerk will have to make a choice very soon. She can comply. She can be held in contempt of court. She can resign. She can appeal to the Supreme Court.

I think she will threaten to appeal to the Supreme Court until she finds out how expensive that will be and how long it will take. Then she'll follow the law. (Just my guess.)

Rowan County, Ky. Clerk Ordered To Issue Marriage Licenses Again
If she appeals the the Supreme Court, does that mean nobody can get married in the county until she quits or the court tells her she has to?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If she appeals the the Supreme Court, does that mean nobody can get married in the county until she quits or the court tells her she has to?
You can get married in the county. However, since she's not issuing marriage licenses, you'd have to go to another county to get a license. Remember, the license has nothing to do with the wedding ceremony.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I didn't think you can appeal the supreme court

Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
You sound like a 7 year old who didn't get extra recess.

Your "morality" based on a religious text is irrelevant. Fortunately, the US government is (supposed to be) above "God" and Religion. If you want to live in a theocracy, move to the Middle East.
I wasn't the one who suggested she be imprisoned for a long term. The "immaturity" card is getting really old. Men die and governments rise and fall. The kingdom of God is forever and one day there will be a 1000 year Christian theocracy here on earth. Will you be throwing a tantrum then?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why not just have her do the job that shebswore an oath to do?

Or do fundamentalist Christians not take oaths seriously?
She swore the oath before the government decided to force her to do something immoral. Would you like to be told you HAVE to do something immoral?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:32 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
She swore the oath before the government decided to force her to do something immoral. Would you like to be told you HAVE to do something immoral?
She sure doesn't care about disposing of husbands and getting remarried, does she? Right?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Obviously she doesn't, she's on marriage number 4.

Can't keep her sworn oath to her husband that she made before god, or the one to do her job.
And how do you know her three ex husbands were not abusive or unfaithful? The Bible does allow exceptions to the rule in such matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality