Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
She swore the oath before the government decided to force her to do something immoral. Would you like to be told you HAVE to do something immoral?
Official misconduct is a misdemeanor. Therefore, the term would have to be one year or less. Contempt could be another matter altogether.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90_UlLSz6Nc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:
I wasn't the one who suggested she be imprisoned for a long term. The "immaturity" card is getting really old. Men die and governments rise and fall. The kingdom of God is forever and one day there will be a 1000 year Christian theocracy here on earth. Will you be throwing a tantrum then?
Priests die and religions rise and fall. The gods today are different than the gods of 1000 years ago, which are different than the gods of 2000 and 3000 and 4000 years ago. In all honesty, the only reason Christianity and Islam has stuck around is it came at a time of mass expansion and intellect. Had the Roman empire not existed and their influence (and the Crusades) not been as great as it was, Christianity may have ended up a minor religion.

The main reason a person is of a certain religion/faith is they were brought up into that faith. Had I been born in Saudi Arabia, I'd probably be practicing Islam, or Buddhism if I was born in Thailand.

One of my favorite quotes: The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next --Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Fact is that you are no more right than anyone else because, frankly, you don't know for a fact that your god is any more real than anyone else's. All you have is your faith and a 2,000 year old book written and modified by man. And there's nothing wrong with faith.

But when it comes the US Government and it's policies, as a citizen of this country, you are entitled to religious freedom, which I said before, includes freedom from religion.

Quote:
She swore the oath before the government decided to force her to do something immoral. Would you like to be told you HAVE to do something immoral?
Do you like serving black people? Again, it is only immoral in her eyes. It's like we're back in the 1960's again, except with more GMOs, more pollution, and less forest land.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

If it was legal and required for my job yes I would do my job. What immoral but legal thing can an employer make you do, please provide at least one example.

One does not need any marriage licene for same sex couples to have sex therefore a same sex marriage licence is not an immoral act. It was never declared by your God to be immoral. You are simply making things up to defend discrimination. She is providing a government document not a religious one. She could of allowed some one in her office to process the application like they do for all other applications but she made her religious views binding on not only those who came for a legal licence that they had the rights to obtain but also deemed that her staff had to follow her religious view. She also decided that her views were more legal than that of a judge. Civil disobedience comes with a price and I do not know why you and others support her right to decide who in her county was allowed services and who are not. Again where was the Christian support for the Muslim cabies in Minnesota, totally silent because religious rights really means that Christian evalagelicals get to decide on who can do what or when.

What immoral act is she forced to do? She is not forced to have sex with some one of the same sex, she is not forced to officate at a SSM, she is not forced to even go to a SS wedding, only to provide a government document. IF she was opposed to alchohol could she refuse to issue a building pemit for a pub, could she refuse any permits for Muslims or Jews if she so wanted? Issuing a licence for SSM is no different, she does not need to agree with them she just has to provide the governement issued permit or licence that she is being paid to. What immoral act? A govenemtn employee discrimianting is what would be immoral.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If she appeals the the Supreme Court, does that mean nobody can get married in the county until she quits or the court tells her she has to?
Appeal to whom? She has gone up as high as she can go.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
And how do you know her three ex husbands were not abusive or unfaithful? The Bible does allow exceptions to the rule in such matters.
There is no Biblical exception for divorce in the event of abuse. Jesus said it was OK to divorce for the cause of infidelity, but not to re-marry.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
And how do you know her three ex husbands were not abusive or unfaithful? The Bible does allow exceptions to the rule in such matters.
Speculation on her propensity to make bad choices?

Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I've turned down jobs that would violate my conscience. Were I told I had to do something I considered immoral, I'd quit. In a nanosecond. She's not doing that. She wants to be paid AND be able to pick and choose who gets a marriage license. She wants to be paid AND discriminate against same-sex couples.

She isn't willing to give up the 80K a year to take a stand for her beliefs. We'll see if she's willing to sit in jail for violating the law. I doubt it. Special Snowflakes rarely have the intestinal fortitude it takes to sit in jail for a cause.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If she appeals the the Supreme Court, does that mean nobody can get married in the county until she quits or the court tells her she has to?
The Supreme Court already has declined to hear the appeal.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If it was legal and required for my job yes I would do my job. What immoral but legal thing can an employer make you do, please provide at least one example.

One does not need any marriage licene for same sex couples to have sex therefore a same sex marriage licence is not an immoral act. It was never declared by your God to be immoral. You are simply making things up to defend discrimination. She is providing a government document not a religious one. She could of allowed some one in her office to process the application like they do for all other applications but she made her religious views binding on not only those who came for a legal licence that they had the rights to obtain but also deemed that her staff had to follow her religious view. She also decided that her views were more legal than that of a judge. Civil disobedience comes with a price and I do not know why you and others support her right to decide who in her county was allowed services and who are not. Again where was the Christian support for the Muslim cabies in Minnesota, totally silent because religious rights really means that Christian evalagelicals get to decide on who can do what or when.

What immoral act is she forced to do? She is not forced to have sex with some one of the same sex, she is not forced to officate at a SSM, she is not forced to even go to a SS wedding, only to provide a government document. IF she was opposed to alchohol could she refuse to issue a building pemit for a pub, could she refuse any permits for Muslims or Jews if she so wanted? Issuing a licence for SSM is no different, she does not need to agree with them she just has to provide the governement issued permit or licence that she is being paid to. What immoral act? A govenemtn employee discrimianting is what would be immoral.
The government itself as an employer has had millions being party to killing and maiming many millions of others as part of their job (the Military).
Many find killing and war to be immoral. Though most would say, from a pure logic standpoint, what is "immoral" is completely subjective...so the question is weak to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality