Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Zthatzmanz28's linked article contains this statement:

If that is true, why are they also not being ordered to appear? Elsewhere I had read that they initially refused, but then relented.

The one article I read stated that the other two clerks originally refused but when it was explained to them that that would be against the law they started issuing the licences.

It is interesting that the one article on this clerk being sent to jail that the deputy clerks lawyer stated that the reason the deputy clerks did not issue licences is that they were afraid of Mrs Davis and would not go against her orders. Nice that her religious convinctions were pressed onto her own staff. I know some were against SSM but it does not sound like they were all for not doing their civil duty,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It is interesting that the one article on this clerk being sent to jail that the deputy clerks lawyer stated that the reason the deputy clerks did not issue licences is that they were afraid of Mrs Davis and would not go against her orders. Nice that her religious convinctions were pressed onto her own staff. I know some were against SSM but it does not sound like they were all for not doing their civil duty,
I recall reading that one of the deputy clerks openly wept at the denial of licenses and apologized but felt she could not take a stand on her own.

I believe she and others will step in and do their duty now.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Having lived in Kentucky I'm surprised that one or more of the others didn't think their position through. I can easily see one of them defying her and issuing the paperwork, only to be fired by her. Then they could have gone home, started their own go fund me page while contacting lawyers. Then, when reinstated (as they would be for wrongful termination) collect all that back pay. Paid vacation and the opportunity to sell your story - what a deal.
Many fundamentalists are raised from the cradle to "submit to authority", "to live in peace with all men", etc., and when these various prescriptions conflict with other commands or with the dogma or instructions of their Christian overlords, their brains tend to vapor lock.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

It is interesting that the one article on this clerk being sent to jail that the deputy clerks lawyer stated that the reason the deputy clerks did not issue licences is that they were afraid of Mrs Davis and would not go against her orders.

In other words.......she's a bully.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
I just heard on the radio she has actually been jailed for it. If that's the case, it's a sad day when someone in this country goes to jail based on a religious belief.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I just heard on the radio she has actually been jailed for it. If that's the case, it's a sad day when someone in this country goes to jail based on a religious belief.
She didn't go to jail for a religious belief. She went to jail for contempt of court.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
She didn't go to jail for a religious belief. She went to jail for contempt of court.
And said contempt was for failure to do her job as per her oath of office.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This.

She can have any belief she wants. She can believe same sex marriage is a sin. She cannot use those beliefs to deny American citizens their rights. Same sex couples have the right to marry.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
She's not in jail because of a religious belief. She's in jail because she's stupid, hypocritical and ignored judicial orders.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
She's not in jail because of a religious belief. She's in jail because she's stupid, hypocritical and ignored judicial orders.
Ultimately she chose not to compromise her religious convictions. Her First Amendment rights are being trampled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality