Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
You really do like throwing the word 'moral' around, don't you? I won't repost the video, but let's take a look at some of the Bible's 'moral standards':

Judges 21:10-24 (NLT):

The men were told to hide and sexually assault a group of women, and then ask their family to 'understand' -- because there weren't enough women to go around after they slaughtered an entire town.

Or how about Numbers 31:7-18 NLT?

That's right -- Moses himself told the soldiers that had razed an entire village that they hadn't killed enough people, ordered that they kill the remaing male children and sexually-active women -- and gave them the virgin prisoners as a reward.

And, of course, Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT:

I think this one pretty much speaks for itself. And now I'm going to go and quietly be sick in the corner.

Jeff, you have no standing whatsoever to talk about 'moral standards', or who 'would be singing the same tune'. Not when you're willfully ignoring the moral failings of your own religion's most prominent document.
Such arguments only demonstrate a failed understanding of context. The Bible reports some pretty ugly things because guess what, man was SINFUL back then and did ugly immoral things. That reality only tells me that the Bible is true, and not whitewashed history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why on earth would that be necessary??? What possible difference would it make to providing equal civil rights under the law???

So then you wouldn't have any problem if the government decided to legalize marriage between humans and animals right? Who cares if it is not natural? And spare me the "consent" argument. It doesn't matter why you find that orientation to be immoral just like you say it doesn't matter that I find homosexuality to be immoral. What matters is a double standard if you protest it.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The idea is rather silly. You cannot prove you are not homosexual, any more than you can prove you are hetero. You would need more proof than your word.
Sure I can. The design of the male body vs female body pretty clearly shows that they were designed to go together sexually.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So then you wouldn't have any problem if the government decided to legalize marriage between humans and animals right? Who cares if it is not natural? And spare me the "consent" argument. It doesn't matter why you find that orientation to be immoral just like you say it doesn't matter that I find homosexuality to be immoral. What matters is a double standard if you protest it.
Consent is important. It is one constant that can be applied to all relationships. A lack of consent implies coercion or deceipt, which is simply wring by anybody's standard.

Or are you saying that you don't support consent? Are you actually in favor of rape?

Quote:
Sure I can. The design of the male body vs female body pretty clearly shows that they were designed to go together sexually.
There are many sexual acts other than penis:vagina. For the record, bodies weren't designed, they evolved. Nice try though.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you explain how her marital history has any relevance to whether or not she believes marriage is to be male/female only?
If she wants to make her religious beliefs a public spectacle, don't blame others for digging a bit below the story she's trying to tell and see if it holds up. So far things look a bit shaky for her claims.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
So then you wouldn't have any problem if the government decided to legalize marriage between humans and animals right? Who cares if it is not natural? And spare me the "consent" argument.
Marriage is a contract. Contracts need signatories. The end.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Such arguments only demonstrate a failed understanding of context. The Bible reports some pretty ugly things because guess what, man was SINFUL back then and did ugly immoral things. That reality only tells me that the Bible is true, and not whitewashed history.
The Bible reports God doing some pretty ugly and immoral things; Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is God talking.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
For animals to legally marry, they would have to be recognized as individuals rather than as property. They would also get to vote, own property, avail themselves of free public education, and would need to file income tax returns. Do you consider this scenario likely?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:

That is not proof you are hetero. That simply means you have a penis. The fact your partner may or may not have a vagina is no proof you are hetero either.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
For animals to legally marry, they would have to be recognized as individuals rather than as property. They would also get to vote, own property, avail themselves of free public education, and would need to file income tax returns. Do you consider this scenario likely?

You just don't get the fact that allowing two adult males to marry means consent is not longer required. Can you not see the logic in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality