Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
--------------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater
From a 1994 interview Barry had some things to say about homosexuality, too---and I doubt you like this:

Quote:
"The first time this came up was with the question, should there be gays in the military?" Goldwater says. "Having spent 37 years of my life in the military as a reservist, and never having met a gay in all of that time, and never having even talked about it in all those years, I just thought, why the hell shouldn't they serve? They're American citizens. As long as they're not doing things that are harmful to anyone else. ... So I came out for it."

He says he's mystified by the origins of homosexuality. "You try to find out where it started, even going back to old Egyptology – and you knew damn well the Egyptians had to have those people – but you can't find any writings," he says. "I have one grandson who's gay. And my brother {Bob Goldwater} has a granddaughter who is gay. We're sort of at a loss to know what the hell it's all about."

Goldwater says that having openly gay relatives doesn't influence his beliefs, which are animated by libertarian principles that government should stay out of people's private lives.
Washingtonpost.com: Barry Goldwater's Left Turn

I always say the best way to get honest reflection from homophobes is for them to have a gay child or grandchild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you explain how her marital history has any relevance to whether or not she believes marriage is to be male/female only?
HYPOCRISY?

Willing to issue licences to those who are divorced but not first time licenses for SSM?? So claiming SSM violates her RELIGIOUS FREEDOM while CHEATING on several husbands and 4 divorces does not violate here FAITH?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
So as I said before, we need to remove any and all elected officials that don't do their job.
We aren't talking about other elected officials, with other circumstances. We are talking about one specific individual with clearly defined behavior that contradicts several legal decisions.

If you really have a problem with the behavior of other elected officials, go ahead and file a lawsuit.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
HYPOCRISY?

Willing to issue licences to those who are divorced but not first time licenses for SSM?? So claiming SSM violates her RELIGIOUS FREEDOM while CHEATING on several husbands and 4 divorces does not violate here FAITH?
Try to distract if you will, but that's not the point of this. Her past marital failures have no relevance here. She doesn't feel she can violate her conscience by issuing the license.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Try to distract if you will, but that's not the point of this. Her past marital failures have no relevance here. She doesn't feel she can violate her conscience by issuing the license.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
So are you sinless? You seem to be pretty judgmental about her.

I don't recall her judging anyone. She just could not issue the license in good conscience. As I've pointed out in the past, that is apparently her right to do.
No, is not her right, as have ruled many courts including the Supreme Court which will not hear an appeal from her. Defacto that means she does not have the right.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
We aren't talking about other elected officials, with other circumstances. We are talking about one specific individual with clearly defined behavior that contradicts several legal decisions.

If you really have a problem with the behavior of other elected officials, go ahead and file a lawsuit.
So remove her.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:20 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Other elected officials would disagree. But having said that, remove her if you don't think she's doing her job. As I mentioned earlier...we should remove all elected officials that don't do their job.
Hold on there! Just WHAT elected official said it was her right to refuse to issue marriage licenses? Other than another so-called Christian county clerk, I haven't heard of anything like that, and certainly no official with any legal training has spoken in favor of her actions.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The judge will be working on the issue tomorrow morning when she and her staff are required to show up in court to defend themselves.

The AG is also working on removing her form office.

Poor thing, possible jail time, fines, and loss of her $80k a year job.
Maybe she'll throw herself on the mercy of the court and. produce the Bible verse that says she's going to hell if she issues a same sex marriage license.

Still waiting for a fundamentalist to tell us where in the Bible that verse is.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Hold on there! Just WHAT elected official said it was her right to refuse to issue marriage licenses? Other than another so-called Christian county clerk, I haven't heard of anything like that, and certainly no official with any legal training has spoken in favor of her actions.
I don't believe I said any official declared it her right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality