Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
When various sects of Christianity (never mind different religions) demolish each other's beliefs, it makes our job easier. Ray Comfort is smart in going after believers who don't know their stuff. Tackling the vulnerable is always the prime target. John's 'born again' remark is open to some interpretation. And against that can be put Matthew's remark to not only Peter but the disciples, that they were given the rule of who gets into heaven (I'll get the quotes (1) and while being born again might be necessary it is the religious authority of Peter and the others that has the final say so. So if Ray Comfort isn't a member of the catholic Church, then he ain't getting into heaven, even if he has been born again.

At least that is as valid an argument as his and uses more than One Bible quote and doesn't ignore the others.

(1) Matthew 18. 18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them
Matthew 16 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

I need hardly explain the paper -trail that the Vatican has 'discovered' leading from Bethsaida to Peter as the first Pope.
Well the divisions within Christianity, and between Religions, definitely helps the Atheists cause.
I can tell you, virtually all of my attention is now directed towards rebutting Evangelicals and not debating or converting Atheists.
Evangelicals like to target what they call "Religious people", which are people that have some knowledge and and are not atheists, but are more likely to listen to them.
You only have to read the comments below the Youtube videos to see how brainwashed these Evangelicals are, ie that "Catholics are not Christian" and "are going to Hell" etc.
"Religion cannot Save you", is also one of their most favourite sayings, as they separate themselves from the word Religion.
These 2 young Catholic girls did not know their faith well enough, to rebuke and reject this annoying Kiwi Ray Comfort guy.
Other groups like the ICoC, which used to be very active on College and University campuses, were the same.
This group are different to modern Evangelicals, and are an offshoot of the Church of Christ, part of the Restoration Movement. (which tried to restore Christianity to the 1st Century Church)
It is easier to start from something, than start from nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:42 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Well the divisions within Christianity, and between Religions, definitely helps the Atheists cause.
I can tell you, virtually all of my attention is now directed towards rebutting Evangelicals and not debating or converting Atheists.
Evangelicals like to target what they call "Religious people", which are people that have some knowledge and and are not atheists, but are more likely to listen to them.
You only have to read the comments below the Youtube videos to see how brainwashed these Evangelicals are, ie that "Catholics are not Christian" and "are going to Hell" etc.
"Religion cannot Save you", is also one of their most favourite sayings, as they separate themselves from the word Religion.
These 2 young Catholic girls did not know their faith well enough, to rebuke and reject this annoying Kiwi Ray Comfort guy.
Other groups like the ICoC, which used to be very active on College and University campuses, were the same.
This group are different to modern Evangelicals, and are an offshoot of the Church of Christ, part of the Restoration Movement. (which tried to restore Christianity to the 1st Century Church)
What do you believe in?

You Catholic?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weird how that standard only applies to Christianity.
BaptistFundie I am confused by this statement. If a person claims they are a Muslim wouldn't we all accept him or her at theirvword, or a Buddhist or Hindu. Unless of course they mistake what they are and call it another name.

If I told you I am an atheist, an agnostic atheist, an agnostic atheist of Jewish background or a Canadian what part of that would you not accept? When TroutDude claims he is animalistic I take him at his word. I accept all those who claim to be Jewish or Spanish at their word.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What do you believe in?

You Catholic?
Yes, Cradle Catholic.
And going back to the video/s and Transponder's post, I am yet to see anyone properly explain this "Born Again" claim.
It sounds like it is man-made event in itself, which is exactly what Evangelicals accuse Catholics of - rituals and ceremonies.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Yes, Cradle Catholic.
And going back to the video/s and Transponder's post, I am yet to see anyone properly explain this "Born Again" claim.
It sounds like it is man-made event in itself, which is exactly what Evangelicals accuse Catholics of - rituals and ceremonies.
Derek, I was a speaking in tongues Evangelical for 40 years, and 15 of those years, I was a well known great prophet, I prophesied to people everywhere I went, and NOT ONE TIME DID A SINGLE ONE NOT CRY, THEY CRIED LIKE BABIES.

I ministered in prisons all over Texas and every single time, everyone in the room could not stop crying, seriously. There was a big deal about a woman in a Texas prison that recieved the death penalty, and I was there in that prison shortly after they killed her, like two weeks later.

That woman they killed was such a great woman of faith, she had turned her life around through the zeal of the Lord.

Just saying, Evangelicals FREAKING Change the world, and there are no others who can boast above them from any denomination.

Having said this, and after walking into MANY CHURCHES, having slain people in the spirit so many times as being a great prophet of my own time, I am no longer an Evangelical.

I know longer speak in tongues, although, tongues, whether from God or not, when people speak in tongues, you have no idea the power, but there are many people in other religions who understand the power. A form of meditation that a person SERIOUSLY believes that by speaking, FREAKING ANGELS are speaking for them.

What greater hope could a person have other than KNOWING, that when he speaks in his holy meditations, an angel is translating to the God of Hosts?

It is unspeakable power giving unbelievable hope to those who speak.

Yet, I know longer believe in it, I mean, it obviously has it's use just as a Hindu would explain it, if it is what you believe, well there you are.

The problem with Evangelicals is the fact that they don't know they are Catholic.

Same problem witn 30,000 Catholic denominations who speak against Catholics.

HOW DARE THEY?

They follow what is wholly Catholic in law, in Sabbaths, in Holy days, in traditions, in Ritiuals WHOLLY created by the Catholic church as the pope has all authority to change, alter, omit, create ANY SCRIPTURE.

HE ALONE IS THE AUTHORITY TO EVERY EVANGELICAL, EVERY BABTIST.

They speak ill of their own father whom they follow without question, Protestants can't follow what is wholly Catholic law, WHOLLY created worship system completely full of Sabbaths, Holy days, traditions, and WHOLLY CATHOLIC RITUALS instituted by the Catholic authority, and then say they aren't Catholic?

What kind of world are Christians living in where they wknt admit they are Catholic?

As an Evangelic, I have heard it said many times,'' Catholics are going to hell.''

Let them look in the mirror, and ask them where they derive their worship system from. THEY GIVE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ALL AUTHORITY, AND TO CLAIM ANYTHING ELSE IS RIDICULOUS.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Oozing craftiness and cunning I might urge those of various religious denominations to 'Ask an atheist' how to to counter evangelism efforts like that to convert Catholics to a particular brand of protestantism (though I may say that I had Catholics trying to evangelize (1) me - at work, too - not knowing that I was an atheist).

(1) though spellcheck says it's wrong, I know On Faith that it's spelt with a "zee".

Old 09-23-2019, 05:52 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oozing craftiness and cunning I might urge those of various
religious denominations to 'Ask an atheist' how to to counter evangelism efforts
like that to convert Catholics to a particular brand of protestantism (though
I may say that I had Catholics trying to evangelize (1) me - at work, too - not
knowing that I was an atheist). ".

One's Christianity shows, not in how they evangelize or prosyletize, or whether or not they believe, but in how they conduct themself and how they treat others.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
One's Christianity shows, not in how they evangelize or prosyletize, or whether or not they believe, but in how they conduct themself and how they treat others.
I'd agree the sentiment entirely. except I'd use, instead of the term 'Christianity', the word 'Humanity'. Which is quite a handy one as you can apply it to any similarly decent people of any other religion, too.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
One's Christianity shows, not in how they evangelize or prosyletize, or whether or not

they believe, but in how they conduct themselves and how they treat others.
Got that right.
(proselityze, proseletyze, prosylitize, prosiletyze , prosilityze, proselityze...not looking it up, I refuse ...red lines under each try!!!)
OK!!!! I spoke into my Smart phone, wasn't so hard...(((drumroll))....proselytize. There!
(MQ do you believe it~!)

One's Christianity, humanity, kindness, heart, connection to God, spiritual progress, mental health, confidence or compassion...no matter what word...
it shows the person's character....or how little therapy they have had to resolve childhood trauma
that they project out into the world on the road, on forums, with their family, complete strangers...and so on.
(I'm a big advocate to deal with your *stuff*---knock off dishing it out on the innocent!)
(My chance to rant...
being the recipient of unjust treatment cuz they are still holding onto their old wounds and fear of
dealing with pain as an adult...even while 'trying to be good Christians'.)
Because 'mean' is not who we are.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 AM

"How dy' spell it?"

"Never mind how y' spell it, just write it down!"

(The Goon Show: "Call of the West".)

And why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcqi...&index=11&t=0s

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-23-2019 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality