Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 05:18 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Quote:
It irks me when people say Catholics AREN'T Christians
In these forums, it is a violation of the TOS to say it. Everyone who claims to be a Christian is to be treated as a Christian here, period.
This is absolutely correct. We also have a rule in place against denomination bashing. However, there is nothing I can do to prevent an old thread from being resurrected. City-Data encourages members to post updates to old threads and does not want us to close them just because they are old. This thread was started in early 2008.

That being said, the past several comments about the Mormons are taking this thread off topic. Please refrain from any further replies to those posts and return the thread to the more positive and productive lines of discussion. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is true.

It is tribalism within tribalism.

Personally I find it pathetic that Christians cannot agree on their faith enough to worship together.
Sometimes they do. As you surely must know.

Or rather, they agree that they may have differences in thought but focus on commonalities or shared purpose. The Church of South India is the obvious example--several denominations combining into one church once they realized separate denoms were feeding the caste system.

But even here, it has happened. Episcopal and ECLA for example.

Should happen more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 01:09 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Or rather, they agree that they may have differences in thought but focus on commonalities or shared purpose. The Church of South India is the obvious example--several denominations combining into one church once they realized separate denoms were feeding the caste system.

Should happen more.
Yes...sometimes...rarely...and most times I have seen it happen it appears to be in an effort to show ecumenical-ism where it doesn't truly exist. They have to work really hard on it, and then the day after the show it is forgotten.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Should happen more.
The thing is...we DO agree on the essentials. The Bible even describes the essentials. The issue is that there are NON-Christians that tell us we dare not actually stand on those essentials because it's bigoted.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The thing is...we DO agree on the essentials. The Bible even describes the essentials. The issue is that there are NON-Christians that tell us we dare not actually stand on those essentials because it's bigoted.
What on earth are you talking about? Why would non-Christians even care?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Why would non-Christians even care?
Honestly? No idea...but I do know that non-Christians on this very forum rip into anyone that dares to suggest that anyone is not a Christian.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:23 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? No idea...but I do know that non-Christians on this very forum rip into anyone that dares to suggest that anyone is not a Christian.
You know, it could just be that the forum rules prohibit people telling any professed Christian that he/she isn't one. Some people are probably just trying to abide by the rules. I don't think that non-Christians really care all that much. It's mostly just Christians themselves who are determined to exclude other Christians from the group.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, it could just be that the forum rules prohibit people telling any professed Christian that he/she isn't one. Some people are probably just trying to abide by the rules. I don't think that non-Christians really care all that much. It's mostly just Christians themselves who are determined to exclude other Christians from the group.
Yah. I'm sure that it.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yes...sometimes...rarely...and most times I have seen it happen it appears to be in an effort to show ecumenical-ism where it doesn't truly exist. They have to work really hard on it, and then the day after the show it is forgotten.
Yes, if it's only a one-shot deal for a special event, I would agree. But the Episcopal Church, ECLA, and the Moravian Church all sat down and drew up legal agreements so that their clergy can jump over the lines. Which processes I personally don't really think belong in a Christian church in the first place, lol, but this is America and our churches reflect our government in some ways.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-27-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 02:37 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Sometimes they do keep working on it, over the long haul. Sometime it is more than just an annual joint prayer breakfast or something.

The little town I grew up in had a Bible Church, a Baptist Church, a Methodist Church and a Presbyterian Church. There was a local ecumenical exchange where each pastor would take turns offering public prayers at school functions, community picnics and reunions and the like. My church -- the Bible Church -- was the lone hold-out. Our pastor felt that to participate in such activities would be to promote the dreaded "social gospel". Or something to that effect.

So ... in any given community there can be no buy in, or partial, but I think where the rubber manages to meet the road occasionally is within a particular church. To me it's not just interfaith projects, but the inclusiveness of the group itself. Are there racial and ethnic minorities and disabled and a variety of ages in regular attendance and full participation? That takes a lot of work to really make happen consistently. My guess is that if you pull off inclusiveness and respectfulness like that, then openness to broader cooperation sort of takes care of itself to an extent.

The other ingredient of course is that you have to be willing to allow differences without being threatened by them and this is just a non-starter with churches whose very basis is to defend against "wrong" ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality