Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times

Advertisements

Kind of wondering why the big three news organizations are covering Pope's visit on a continuous basis as if what the Pope says requires live coverage hours on hours.....newsworthy yes, but not everything the Pope does, sees is worthy of this continuous coverage, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,081 times
Hinduism does not have a pope either!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The Aga Khan is Muslim, leader of the Ismali branch of Shia.
Considering that the Shi'ite are less than 10% of the Muslims and the Ismaili are less than 10% of the Shi'ite They are not exactly a world religion. An interesting group Only about 15 million world wide.

The Ismaili are generally philanthropists and seem to be very similar to Sufi.

The Ismaili community | The Ismaili

Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Considering that the Shi'ite are less than 10% of the Muslims and the Ismaili are less than 10% of the Shi'ite They are not exactly a world religion. An interesting group Only about 15 million world wide.

The Ismaili are generally philanthropists and seem to be very similar to Sufi.

The Ismaili community | The Ismaili
Also, very often strong entrepreneurs. I know Ismalis who got financing through the Aga Khan fund. It is a very supportive organization. Frankly, Woodrow, if the majority of Muslims were like the Ismaili, I bet the Western view of Muslims would improve immensely. Maybe not the fundie Christians, but they are becoming smaller and smaller factor, albeit, a louder and louder one.

I have a ton of respect for the Ismailis I've got to know. Still think their religious perspectives are woo, but I feel that way about all religions.

It's what us atheists do.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,648,651 times
Quote:
Also, very often strong entrepreneurs. I know Ismalis who got financing through the Aga Khan fund. It is a very supportive organization. Frankly, Woodrow, if the majority of Muslims were like the Ismaili, I bet the Western view of Muslims would improve immensely. Maybe not the fundie Christians, but they are becoming smaller and smaller factor, albeit, a louder and louder one.

I have a ton of respect for the Ismailis I've got to know. Still think their religious perspectives are woo, but I feel that way about all religions.

Louder and louder voices you hear against Islam are not because of fundamentalist Christians, but rather because of a louder and louder voice from secularists (Sam Harris, Aayan Hirsi Ali, Wafa Sultan, Geert Wilders, Douglas Murray, etc.).

Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:

While there are quite a few things I disagree with Ismailis about, I will acknowledge they do have many very admirable traits.

the biggest disagreement I have with Ismailis is their acceptance of an Imam being the word of Allaah(swt)

Quote:
The same distinction finds organizational expression in the Ismaili hierarchy from the imam, who alone has perfect knowledge, by way of the dais (missionaries) to the believers at various levels of knowledge and insight.

Ismailis (Shia)

Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality