Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

[God didn't create man, Man created god, to explain the unexplained, the superstition.]

[quoted by Me]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
"Faith" often gets bad-mouthed, but you have just as much faith as me. Someone without faith wouldn't be able to function normally. For instance, you have faith that Dan Barker wrote those sentences.
Faith is the belief in the supernatural, and to a lesser extent, the belief in someone or something without proof or evidence pointing towards the conclusion you reach. Maybe you need faith to be normal according to Judeo-Christian values, but the growing secular world doesn't feel the same way.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,986 times
I am a person of faith but that does not make me weak or stop me from thinking. Some of the greatest contributions to the world have been made by people of faith.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM

16 posts, read 14,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I am a person of faith but that does not make me weak or stop me from thinking. Some of the greatest contributions to the world have been made by people of faith.
Despite their faith?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunts View Post
Despite their faith?
Yes. Of course. Why not?

Faith and/or belief in god does not "cancel out" intellect or the capacity for brilliance. If anything, I think one might just have the capacity to enhance/augment the other. They aren't mutally exclusive.

--And I say that as "atheist June"

Take gentle care.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 AM

474 posts, read 601,360 times
Hi bloggers: I was scanning and scrolling looking for "my area of interest" and came across this subject....religion etc. How about this quote, my own. "Yes, God may or may not be, a fifty per cent chance He exists." Why would you take that bet?" Some one said, " Whenever there is disagreement over God and man, I , always, side with God, He is apt to remember."

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
Hi bloggers: I was scanning and scrolling looking for "my area of interest" and came across this subject....religion etc. How about this quote, my own. "Yes, God may or may not be, a fifty per cent chance He exists." Why would you take that bet?" Some one said, " Whenever there is disagreement over God and man, I , always, side with God, He is apt to remember."
Which God? Considering there are roughly over 5000 Gods in human history, it seems like the odds are approximately 1 in 5,000 for the believer, no? That's assuming the correct deity has been portrayed in some form of text or religious format already. So, it seems to me like your argument is one of (and forgive me for making the assumption you are Christian)

"Whenever there is disagreement over the Christian God and man, I, always, side with the Christian God, He is apt to remember."

This begs the question that you posed:

What if you're wrong and a God does exist but it's not your particular 'brand'? Aren't you up the same proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle as I?

Most of us are Atheists for the same reason you are. We just take it one God further.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 AM

Psum: You gotta be kidding? Man created God???? How do you explain the beauty of the human body, all those working parts, functioning, a baby? a flower? the stars?the sun, the moon...did man do all those too? My degrees are from UMass, a public university. One of my professor's asked, one day, if anyone knew what the Cambrian Explosion or Permian Extinction were all about. No seeing any other raised hand, I raised mine and said. "The Cambrian Explosion is that day in time when life first proliferated all over the planet and the Permian Extinction was thd period of time when 75% of life disappeared due to a water phenonomen." Correct, said the Professor. I raised my hand one more time. "Professor, does that leave room for God?" His answer, in a public classroom? "Yes, it certainly does."

Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 AM

kWhich god? The God of your choice. As long as you don't believe that man is omnipotent!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
Psum: You gotta be kidding? Man created God???? How do you explain the beauty of the human body, all those working parts, functioning, a baby? a flower? the stars?the sun, the moon...did man do all those too? My degrees are from UMass, a public university. One of my professor's asked, one day, if anyone knew what the Cambrian Explosion or Permian Extinction were all about. No seeing any other raised hand, I raised mine and said. "The Cambrian Explosion is that day in time when life first proliferated all over the planet and the Permian Extinction was thd period of time when 75% of life disappeared due to a water phenonomen." Correct, said the Professor. I raised my hand one more time. "Professor, does that leave room for God?" His answer, in a public classroom? "Yes, it certainly does."
Although it might leave room for God, perhaps you should study the Argument from Incredulity. Just because you "Can't believe it happened without divine interference" doesn't make it true. There are natural explanations for just about everything, and science works on the answers to questions we don't currently know. Invoking deistic interference into something you just don't understand doesn't help matters much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality