Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunts View Post

Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers.

[Bruce Calvert]
I find it funny that I'm not a thinker.. yet you quoted about 30 different other people.. not one quote from you.

Here is my quote..

Quoting others is easier than producing something worthwhile yourself.

bigthirsty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I doubt that what this guy's saying is true. Do you believe him?
I am a descendent of this man, (Robert Green Ingersoll) he's one of my ancestors, and if anybody would know of which he speaks, he would, his father was a Methodist minister, and yes I do believe what he says is true. He spoke out against organized religion, such as the Church, not belief, he was an agnostic, not an atheist.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 14,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I find it funny that I'm not a thinker.. yet you quoted about 30 different other people.. not one quote from you.

Here is my quote..

Quoting others is easier than producing something worthwhile yourself.

bigthirsty

When I'm dead or when I am well known, quote me.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers.

[Bruce Calvert]
You might not believe this, but I've actually had an atheist friend of mine tell me the exact opposite of this.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM

The Christians mistake an incident for a cause, and honestly imagine that the Bible is the foundation of modern liberty and law. They forget physical conditions, make no account of commerce, cared nothing of inventions and discoveries, and ignorantly give the credit to their inspired book.

The foundations of our civilization were laid centuries before Christianity was known. The intelligence of courage, of self-government, of industry, that uniting made the civilization of the century, did not come from Judea, but from every nation of the ancient world.

It probably will not be long until the churches will divided sharply upon political, as upon theological questions; and when that day comes, if there are not liberals enough to hold the balance of power, this Government will be destroyed. The liberty of man is not safe in the hands of any church. Wherever the Bible and the sword are in partnership, man is a slave.

Just a few quotes from Robert Green Ingersoll.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
The Christians mistake an incident for a cause, and honestly imagine that the Bible is the foundation of modern liberty and law. They forget physical conditions, make no account of commerce, cared nothing of inventions and discoveries, and ignorantly give the credit to their inspired book.

The foundations of our civilization were laid centuries before Christianity was known. The intelligence of courage, of self-government, of industry, that uniting made the civilization of the century, did not come from Judea, but from every nation of the ancient world.

It probably will not be long until the churches will divided sharply upon political, as upon theological questions; and when that day comes, if there are not liberals enough to hold the balance of power, this Government will be destroyed. The liberty of man is not safe in the hands of any church. Wherever the Bible and the sword are in partnership, man is a slave.

Just a few quotes from Robert Green Ingersoll.

I love me some Ingersoll. That man was so on target!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM

I've begun worshipping the Sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the Sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.

[George Carlin]

Idiots, the lame, the blind, the dumb, are men in whom the devils have established themselves: and all the physicians who heal these infirmities, as though they proceeded from natural causes, are ignorant blockheads….

[Martin Luther] - Christian Reformer

If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing

[Anatole France]

If a plane crashes and 99 people die while 1 survives, it is called a miracle. Should the families of the 99 think so?

[Judith Hayes, In God We Trust: But Which One? (Madison, WI: FFRF, 1997), p. 154.]

If abuses are destroyed, man must destroy them. If slaves are freed, man must free them. If new truths are discovered, man must discover them. If the naked are clothed; if the hungry are fed; if justice is done; if labor is rewarded; if superstition is driven from the mind; if the defenseless are protected and if the right finally triumphs, all must be the work of man. The grand victories of the future must be won by man, and by man alone.

[Robert G. Ingersoll, "The Gods", 1872]

If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.

[Mark Schnitzius on alt.atheism]

If the book [the Bible] and my brain are both the work of the same Infinite God, whose fault is it that the book and my brain do not agree?

[Robert G. Ingersoll]

If the resurrection of Jesus cannot be believed except by assenting to the fantastic descriptions included in the Gospels, then Christianity is doomed. For that view of resurrection is not believable, and if that is all there is, then Christianity, which depends upon the truth and authenticity of Jesus' resurrection, also is not believable.

[Bishop John Shelby Spong, Resurrection: Myth or Reality? (San Fransisco: HarperCollins, 1994), p. 238.]

If you talk to God, you're praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.

[Thomas Szasz]

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

[Dorothy Parker]

In all ages hypocrites, called priests, have put crowns upon the heads of thieves, called kings.

[Robert G. Ingersoll]

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
When I'm dead or when I am well known, quote me.
I'll think about it..

wait. I'm a believer. I can't do that.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:13 PM

The Bible was the real persecutor, the Bible burned heretics, built dungeons, founded the Inquisition, and trample upon all the liberties of man.

How long,O how long will mankind worship a book? How long will they grovel in the dust before the ignorant legends of the barbaric past? How long, O how long will they pursue phantoms in a darkness deeper than death?
Quote from Robert Green Ingersoll
"Heretics and Heresies" 1874

Over every fortress of tyranny has waved, and still waves, the banner of the Church.

The Church has been, and still is, the great robber, she has rifled not only the pockets but the brains of the world.

Robert Green Ingersoll's quote from "Individuality" 1873

Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 PM

245 posts, read 625,492 times
the measure of a man is in his actions, not his beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality