Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,390,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Typical atheistic smokescreen tactics. Let's obscure the fact that we have no proof of our own assertion by asking you provide verifiable evidence, which you either cannot give because you aren't a researcher/archaeologist. If you can give it, say that isn't verifiable using arbitrary standards of what is verifiable.

Okay then. What would be verifiable evidence for atheism?

*** Not intended to make fun of the mentally challenged, just a funny quote from a movie that fits this post perfectly***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There is plenty of evidence that Christ lived.
Nope. There is not one single scrap of verifiable evidence extent of your Bible or other religious works.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,993,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope. There is not one single scrap of verifiable evidence extent of your Bible or other religious works.
Why don't you take a rocket ship to God's throne and pay Jesus a visit. I'm sure He'd love to have a chat with you. He thinks you are a nice person actually.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,993,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So where is the evidence outside of your Bible or other "holy books"? Even if you can prove he did in fact live, you still can't prove he was the son of God.
Do some research yourself.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,331,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Prove to me that Alexander the Great really existed. Again, I presented evidence. It is simply dishonest to say I am copping out because you stubbornly refuse to accept it.
Absolutely nothing happened before you were born, Jeff.

But you knew that already, right?

Well, nothing except what can be proven from the Bible.

You've created for yourself this really bizarre patchwork version of history.

All of the events in the Bible took place ... and then, once the final historical event in the Bible ended, the entire universe simply shut down and went into "stand-by" mode. Somewhere, a little red light blinked on and off ... on and off ... to alert someone (God?) that the power to the universe was still on but in stand-by.

And there it remained, in stand-by, for thousands of years, until you were born.

No, no, don't ask me how that happened because no one can really prove that your parents existed aside from some birth certificates, a few fading photographs, and some eyewitness accounts. Current historians and philosophers are more or less in agreement that your parents and, indeed, the entire universe powered back on the moment you began moving down your mother's birth canal -- and your mother sprang into existence at that very moment.

Because nothing really existed until you existed. Everything else before that (aside from what occurred in the Bible) simply cannot be proven conclusively to have happened. Certainly Alexander the Great never really existed and once doubt was cast upon the entire process of historical research, an emergency session was held at the National Archives in Washington DC. After well over 100 hours of debate, it was discovered that the furthest back in history anyone could reliably claim to be true was two and a half weeks. Anything further back than that and the proof becomes a bit fuzzy and memories of eyewitnesses begin to fade.

Even more startling, however, is that the emergency session of historians concluded that absolutely nothing existed between the last event referenced in the Bible and the birth of Jeffbase from the City-Data forum (real name withheld for privacy concerns). Sadly, this lack of proof caused tens of thousands of unfortunate side effects. For instance, there was no proof that Christopher Columbus ever existed OR that the Vikings ever existed ... which means there wasn't a shred of evidence that any European had ever stepped foot in the Western hemisphere.

This had the rather dizzying result of magically transporting the 600 million or so former residents of the Western hemisphere to Europe which caused a massive homeless problem. Oh, did I say 600 million? No, no, only those who were born AFTER Jeffbase were transported to Europe. There was no proof that anyone born before Jeffbase actually exists so they mysteriously disappeared, whittling down the population of the entire world by roughly 2.5 billion -- though precise numbers are difficult to calculate.

I can only say with some measure of relief that I was probably born after Jeffbase which allows me to exist thus I can write this post from Europe, though I'm currently homeless (the Native Americans, however, are thriving).

Wait ... this just in ...

Oh, phew ... I've just been informed that none of this is real. This has just been an exercise demonstrating the ridiculousness of Jeffbase's assertion of doubting the historicity of already-proven people and events as if that somehow compares to doubting the Bible.

Great. I'm no longer homeless in Europe. Sorry, Native Americans. But ... at least your ancestors actually existed which wasn't true just a few minutes ago!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Do some research yourself.
Ahh, so you have no evidence. Now be a man and actually admit it instead of playing childish games.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Absolutely nothing happened before you were born, Jeff.

But you knew that already, right?

Well, nothing except what can be proven from the Bible.

You've created for yourself this really bizarre patchwork version of history.

All of the events in the Bible took place ... and then, once the final historical event in the Bible ended, the entire universe simply shut down and went into "stand-by" mode. Somewhere, a little red light blinked on and off ... on and off ... to alert someone (God?) that the power to the universe was still on but in stand-by.

And there it remained, in stand-by, for thousands of years, until you were born.

No, no, don't ask me how that happened because no one can really prove that your parents existed aside from some birth certificates, a few fading photographs, and some eyewitness accounts. Current historians and philosophers are more or less in agreement that your parents and, indeed, the entire universe powered back on the moment you began moving down your mother's birth canal -- and your mother sprang into existence at that very moment.

Because nothing really existed until you existed. Everything else before that (aside from what occurred in the Bible) simply cannot be proven conclusively to have happened. Certainly Alexander the Great never really existed and once doubt was cast upon the entire process of historical research, an emergency session was held at the National Archives in Washington DC. After well over 100 hours of debate, it was discovered that the furthest back in history anyone could reliably claim to be true was two and a half weeks. Anything further back than that and the proof becomes a bit fuzzy and memories of eyewitnesses begin to fade.

Even more startling, however, is that the emergency session of historians concluded that absolutely nothing existed between the last event referenced in the Bible and the birth of Jeffbase from the City-Data forum (real name withheld for privacy concerns). Sadly, this lack of proof caused tens of thousands of unfortunate side effects. For instance, there was no proof that Christopher Columbus ever existed OR that the Vikings ever existed ... which means there wasn't a shred of evidence that any European had ever stepped foot in the Western hemisphere.

This had the rather dizzying result of magically transporting the 600 million or so former residents of the Western hemisphere to Europe which caused a massive homeless problem. Oh, did I say 600 million? No, no, only those who were born AFTER Jeffbase were transported to Europe. There was no proof that anyone born before Jeffbase actually exists so they mysteriously disappeared, whittling down the population of the entire world by roughly 2.5 billion -- though precise numbers are difficult to calculate.

I can only say with some measure of relief that I was probably born after Jeffbase which allows me to exist thus I can write this post from Europe, though I'm currently homeless (the Native Americans, however, are thriving).

Wait ... this just in ...

Oh, phew ... I've just been informed that none of this is real. This has just been an exercise demonstrating the ridiculousness of Jeffbase's assertion of doubting the historicity of already-proven people and events as if that somehow compares to doubting the Bible.

Great. I'm no longer homeless in Europe. Sorry, Native Americans. But ... at least your ancestors actually existed which wasn't true just a few minutes ago!
As usual, you take a sledgehammer to a fly approach. Was all that threatrics necessary to prove your point? Which actually only serves to show how silly it is regard past events with the extreme off the charts skeptical attitude that atheists take towards the Bible.

For me, it's about probability and points of evidence. I don't approach life as assuming people are lying to me until proven otherwise. I doubt most atheists do either except when it comes to demanding evidence for Christianity. What is a point of evidence? Here is one. The earliest events recorded in the Bible take place where, ahhh yes The Fertile Crescent. The exact same place where we find the earliest forms of human recorded history. Not in the Amazon. Not in the Americas. Fertile Crescent. Heck of a concidence, huh?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Ahh, so you have no evidence. Now be a man and actually admit it instead of playing childish games.
Ok, you have no evidence that God does not exist. Oppps can't prove a negative? Ok here is a positive. People of faith are suffering from mental delusions. Prove it.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Typical atheistic smokescreen tactics. Let's obscure the fact that we have no proof of our own assertion by asking you provide verifiable evidence, which you either cannot give because you aren't a researcher/archaeologist. If you can give it, say that isn't verifiable using arbitrary standards of what is verifiable.

Okay then. What would be verifiable evidence for atheism?

There is no verifiable evidence for atheism. On the other hand, God might indeed be a sick God. Which was the topic. Remember?
Yeah I don't get why atheists seem to think they are accomplishing a great point in their favor by trying to paint God as mean, cruel or even evil. Ok, let's say God really is a jerk and enjoys watching humanity suffer. That still doesn't mean there is no God. Just means humanity is screwed and we are at His mercy.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Ok, you have no evidence that God does not exist. Oppps can't prove a negative? Ok here is a positive. People of faith are suffering from mental delusions. Prove it.
I have never said God does not exist, simply that I do not believe he does. So I have no need to prove it, as I have not made that claim.

You want proof that people of faith are delusional? Ok.... How about the fact that you think that there were once talking snakes and donkeys? Or the fact that you think a guy lived in a fish for a few days? Or the fact that you think God and the Devil made a bet concerning the sanity and faith of Job? I could go on, but I'll stop here for now. Let me reverse things, and see what you think....

I believe that there are currently talking snakes and donkeys. I believe that a currently, a man could live in a bear stomach for a few days. I believe that Zeus and Thor have a current bet going to see who can drive the most people mad this year. Are these perfectly sane and reasonable, or not? If they are not, then you just proved my point. If it isn't sane or reasonable now, it wouldn't have been then either. If they are perfectly sane and reasonable, then you just proved your delusional. So..... which is it?

Note: All I did was make it current, changed the animal stomach, and made it different "gods".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality