Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What is sick is this distortion of the truth. We are the children of God. It it sick to think of a father willing to do anything including endure real physical torture and pain to save his children? That's what God did. The Bible is pretty clear that Jesus and God are not completely separate entities. They are part of the same so in essense, God took part of his own being to endure pain to save our sorry sinful behinds.
From WHAT, jeff??? From Him??? What kind of logic is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
From WHAT, jeff??? From Him??? What kind of logic is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO7FTFINw6g

Old 02-18-2016, 03:04 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
His image with mankind is that of subjectorhood. Right after God said Adam was made in His image He told Adam concerning subjecting the animals.

Sorry to be so dense but I'm not sure what you mean by losing your ability to be oblivious. Do you mean too many people rely on you to do things and you want to be left alone?

I am smiling as I read the above concerning you wanting God to give you a nice job. God is not a genie in a bottle. He doesn't grant our every wish. He already knows what we need since He is all around us. And as Paul told the Athenians "He gives to all, life and breath and all." But it never hurts to ask. It just might be in accord with His will.
But God has been giving them tons and tons of food every year in Africa and around the globe. He uses organizations around the globe to feed them.
I don't know what you mean by subjectorhood but that's false advertising if only one part of us was made in his image.

I mean as a child you are able to be oblivious generally..oblivious about the world but I was not only oblivious about the world I was oblivious about my problems. My childhood had effected me I just didn't know it. No people don't just rely on me..they have used me and I have needed people to rely on and they weren't there.

Did I say anything about every wish? All I want is a decent job right now and then other things may fall into place. You think I haven't asked? In my desperation I have wanted it that bad but prayer is a joke. I might as well be talking to the tree outside. Besides if he already knows what we need then why do I need to pray anyway?
But the kids are still starving..if they weren't then there wouldn't be commercials about how we should all donate and that's obviously just one concern of the world.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Atheism is a personal belief just as being religiously faithful is your personal belief. To claim atheism isn't logical and rational would be about the same as me saying that your faith in god has no logic or rationality----and I'm not even an atheist.
There is no proof god exists or doesn't exist. There are numerous theories how life on earth came to be but nothing has ever been proven to be factual.
Hi raindance Maggie,
some Atheists state that atheism isn't a belief or a faith-based understanding. However I would agree with you that it is a belief system which is rooted in ignorance. Now by "ignorance" I do not mean "stupidity." There are many brilliant people who are brilliant in a given field of expertise but are ignorant on other things.

It is my own personal understanding that there must be a God Who started creation due to the logic of it all. A logical system must have been started by a logical Being just as a logical computer system had to be started by a logical programmer.

Quote:
Do you believe everything the bible says? Christians also seem to believe Jesus is the son of god and he was crucified to save mankind. Seriously? A father sending his own son to brutally die on the cross to save everyone else? What kind of father is that? What kind of god would that be? I say only an evil sick ahole god could be that way, which is the basis of this whole topic.
It is my belief that your understanding of the above statement is rooted in a lack of understanding of the theological underpinnings inhering in this subject.

God is spirit and so cannot die. God created His Son as the beginning of His creation as a perfect being and then all the rest of creation came through His Son. Christ is the one Who created humanity and so He it was Who had to do, in obedience even to the death of the cross, what was needed to be done to save Humanity. The real sacrifice on God's part was in sending His Son to die for mankind is that His perfect, sinless Son would be marred by sin being put upon His Son and Him bearing it away. His Son willingly went. For possibly millions, maybe even billions of years, God carried the awful ache of knowing one day His Son was going to have to sacrifice Himself for mankind. But it all will eventuate in GOOD. All mankind will one day be saved due to Christ's obedience to the cross.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't know what you mean by subjectorhood but that's false advertising if only one part of us was made in his image.

I mean as a child you are able to be oblivious generally..oblivious about the world but I was not only oblivious about the world I was oblivious about my problems. My childhood had effected me I just didn't know it. No people don't just rely on me..they have used me and I have needed people to rely on and they weren't there.

Did I say anything about every wish? All I want is a decent job right now and then other things may fall into place. You think I haven't asked? In my desperation I have wanted it that bad but prayer is a joke. I might as well be talking to the tree outside. Besides if he already knows what we need then why do I need to pray anyway?
Prayer is not a mechanism to twist God's arm to get what we want. Yes, it is good we go to our Father in prayer with requests for we "rely on the living God Who is the Saviour of all mankind." However, I think it needs to be stated that prayer is more to align our will with God's rather than forcing God to align His will with our will. God already has everything in your life planned. He knows what will cause you to grow the most.
For instance, a couple years ago I travelled to another state to be a speaker at a Bible conference. When I got home I noticed my home was broken into and some things of value were taken. As I lay in bed that night I thanked God for the experience that will cause me to grow more in maturity. As it turned out, the police were able to get some of my things back and I thanked God for that as well.

Quote:
But the kids are still starving..if they weren't then there wouldn't be commercials about how we should all donate and that's obviously just one concern of the world.
It could be a lot of those commercials are bologna too. Some people who run those programs make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. If they cared so much, why don't they forego the riches they make on the ignorant people giving them their money and use it to help the poor?

Old 02-18-2016, 03:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
Quote:
God is spirit and so cannot die. God created His Son as the beginning of His creation as a perfect being and then all the rest of creation came through His Son. Christ is the one Who created humanity and so He it was Who had to do, in obedience even to the death of the cross, what was needed to be done to save Humanity. The real sacrifice on God's part was in sending His Son to die for mankind is that His perfect, sinless Son would be marred by sin being put upon His Son and Him bearing it away. His Son willingly went. For possibly millions, maybe even billions of years, God carried the awful ache of knowing one day His Son was going to have to sacrifice Himself for mankind. But it all will eventuate in GOOD. All mankind will one day be saved due to Christ's obedience to the cross.
If only the sacrifice accomplished the goal, then the bumbling god wouldn't have to come back to save humanity....again.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:34 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Prayer is not a mechanism to twist God's arm to get what we want. Yes, it is good we go to our Father in prayer with requests for we "rely on the living God Who is the Saviour of all mankind." However, I think it needs to be stated that prayer is more to align our will with God's rather than forcing God to align His will with our will. God already has everything in your life planned. He knows what will cause you to grow the most.
Align our will with his but not force it? What does that even mean?
I know that too..that's why I am yearning for a decent job. Guess he knows what will cause me to grow just doesn't care. That's all.

Quote:
For instance, a couple years ago I travelled to another state to be a speaker at a Bible conference. When I got home I noticed my home was broken into and some things of value were taken. As I lay in bed that night I thanked God for the experience that will cause me to grow more in maturity. As it turned out, the police were able to get some of my things back and I thanked God for that as well.
That's nice for you but I got nothing back that was taken from me by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
If only the sacrifice accomplished the goal, then the bumbling god wouldn't have to come back to save humanity....again.
I don't know why he would even think that going on the cross would do anything for others. This is why I'm convinced the Christian god is a masochist..explains a lot. He thinks we are the same way and why he would create people that would disobey him.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
But the sacrifice did accomplish the goal to save all mankind. That is why God said He "will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all. To be testified in due time" (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6).

Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
Quote:
But the sacrifice did accomplish the goal to save all mankind. That is why God said He "will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all. To be testified in due time" (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6).
A ransom which the "good" god demanded. By his own rules.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Align our will with his but not force it? What does that even mean?
I know that too..that's why I am yearning for a decent job. Guess he knows what will cause me to grow just doesn't care. That's all.
He cares more for you than you currently know.
God has already worked out what each human is supposed to go through in their life before they were born. Praying for things not in accord with His immutable will will only frustrate a person. "God gives to all life and breath and all." What you are experiencing is part of that all. He already knows you yearn for a decent job. If a decent job is in harmony with His will for you then you will have it. Otherwise you won't. If He thinks it is more important that you grow from your experiences, why would He thwart the growth process? He cares about you enough to not give you everything you want but He gives you what you need.

Quote:
That's nice for you but I got nothing back that was taken from me by other people.
Had I never received some of my stolen goods I would still be thankful for the growth process from the experience.

Quote:
I don't know why he would even think that going on the cross would do anything for others. This is why I'm convinced the Christian god is a masochist..explains a lot. He thinks we are the same way and why he would create people that would disobey him.
The first four words in the above statement should be a tip off for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality