Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,353,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There are families out there engaging in loving consential sexual relationships with each other. It doesn't harm your marriage directly. So with your logic, we should fully support and celebrate fully legalization of incest marriages, right? It should be celebrated from the rooftops and let the White House light up in a band of colors heralding the new era of family sexual love!

Now if you tell me that incest is morally wrong as a basis for not supporting incest laws then you can't be against me for feeling the same way for same sex laws.
Where do you get off telling people what they can or cannot say? Incest and same sex are different and each should be judged on their own merits. Some will be against bth, some will be for both some will support incest in marriage bUT not same gender and others support ssm but not ones of incest and some will support only certain types of marrages involving incest.

You need to break out of this all or nothing worldview and learn that people can look at each and every issue on its own merits independent of how they look at other issues.

Personally I don't care how you feel about SSM as long as you don't make false accusations against people or advocate putting up barriers that treat ssm as evil or second class.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,256,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I am asking you to provide examples of the claims that gay marriages ruin traditional heterosexual marriages .
I don't believe it's incumbent upon me to do so. As a citizen of this country I can disagree with it without having to prove it's bad for the existing institution. it's up to YOUR side to present an argument for why it is a necessary thing.

Having said that, it is my opinion that changing the definition of marriage in order to please a small minority is not wise. I believe that it will lead to other things that are harmful to society -- such as adoption by gay "married" couples. I believe it also sets a precedent for anyone to demand any form of marriage that they might want. It opens the door for polygamy, incestual, etc.

But the biggest reason is simply because the SCOTUS does not have the right to decide to make it a law. This is a states' rights issue. That way if one state screws things up, one can always move to another.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Where do you get off telling people what they can or cannot say? Incest and same sex are different and each should be judged on their own merits. Some will be against bth, some will be for both some will support incest in marriage bUT not same gender and others support ssm but not ones of incest and some will support only certain types of marrages involving incest.

You need to break out of this all or nothing worldview and learn that people can look at each and every issue on its own merits independent of how they look at other issues.

Personally I don't care how you feel about SSM as long as you don't make false accusations against people or advocate putting up barriers that treat ssm as evil or second class.
He makes a valid point. If you're going to be consistent, incestual relationships should also be granted legal status along with SSM. That is, if consistency is something you strive for.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:56 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,120,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If someone's marriage means so little to them that it can be "destroyed" by the circumstances of marriages between people they don't even know, then it obviously didn't mean much to them to begin with.
Amen.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:56 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,297,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He makes a valid point. If you're going to be consistent, incestual relationships should also be granted legal status along with SSM. That is, if consistency is something you strive for.
So you also don't understand problems with nicest beyond the morality factor ?

Are all conservative Christians just clueless as to why incest is not allowed ?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,120,371 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again... People's moral choices are between them and God. Period. Regardless of what I believe to be right and wrong in God's eyes, I do not have the right to impose my beliefs upon people who see things differently. Nobody does. Let's hear it for the separation of church and state!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I don't believe it's incumbent upon me to do so. As a citizen of this country I can disagree with it without having to prove it's bad for the existing institution. it's up to YOUR side to present an argument for why it is a necessary thing.
First, on the legal side we don't have to prove anything. It's a done deal .

But you and yours are the ones who repeatedly make claims about how it destroys traditional marriage . To reply that proving your claim when challenged is not your task is a cop out .

Quote:

Having said that, it is my opinion that changing the definition of marriage in order to please a small minority is not wise. I believe that it will lead to other things that are harmful to society -- such as adoption by gay "married" couples. I believe it also sets a precedent for anyone to demand any form of marriage that they might want. It opens the door for polygamy, incestual, etc.

There are lots of kids adopted by gays that have wonderful lives . I personally am close friends with two gay men who raised a Hispanic kid that would have grown up in a dysfunctional family that produced gang members had they not done so. The kid is now an adult with a college education and a great job, is married to a CPA, has one kid and another on the way and is from what I can see a wonderful dad .

Are you saying he would have been better off being left in a home with brothers who became gang members, or would have been better off in multiple foster homes ?

Quote:

But the biggest reason is simply because the SCOTUS does not have the right to decide to make it a law. This is a states' rights issue. That way if one state screws things up, one can always move to another.
You really need to learn the fact that when states laws violate the Consitition they mostly lose . You guys are always FOR the Constitution, until you aren't .

Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM

380 posts, read 202,446 times
Quote:
It is not about consistency.
It is about well being of others.

SSM does not harm anyone.
Insest creates huge amount of genetic ilnesses and thus potentially harmful for offsprings.

There for SSM is an human rights issue and insest is a science issue and those issues should not be confused.
That point is not valid and the whole argument is bad.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post

Insest creates huge amount of genetic ilnesses and thus potentially harmful for offsprings.

There for SSM is an human rights issue and insest is a science issue and those issues should not be confused.
That point is not valid and the whole argument is bad.

Well since we are having to clue in the hapless and uninformed Christians why incest is bad, let's not forget that most incest is abuse, from either a parent, or an older sibling controlling a younger sibling.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
Sorry, that's not the same as saying it's constitutional. Nor is your opinion of the "well being" of others the standard.
Quote:
Homosexual sex has been well-documented to be unhealthy. You can stick your head in the sand, and I'm sure you might call me a bigot for even pointing that out.

But the fact remains, it's not intellectually consistent to tell a man that he can't marry his mother or sister if you're going to argue that SSM should be legal. Not that the pro-SSM argument has ever really been concerned with truth...
Quote:
There for SSM is an human rights issue
You have yet to really make that case. Many of us don't believe that anyone has a right to define marriage however they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality