Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,288,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Again...gay sex also does. But I'm not the one making the "well-being" argument. You are.

Actually, it was some unelected judges that bent to cultural pressure.
Gay sex causes birth defects? That's a new one on me.

And unelected judges deciding the legality of our laws is the way the Constitution set the system up. Again, deal with it.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,207,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No LGBT folks are attacking churches, people or destroying property. The evangelicals are calling for DEATH, they attack LGBT folks and OPPRESS them via discrimination on the JOG, in PUBLIC, and denying other opportunities (like refusing to allow them to teach sunday school) all based on their sexual orientation.

ACTION is not changing laws--that is called PETITIONING TO ADDRESS A GRIEVANCE...

ACTION is PREVENTING others from having access to their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS--which has ZERO to do with the evangelicals' interpretation of biblical SHARIA LAW.
I don't know who those evanglicals are that are calling for death, or destruction of property. It certainly is not a Biblical position. Why do you just take them at their word that they represent Jesus?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:55 AM

380 posts, read 201,696 times
Quote:
Sorry, that's not the same as saying it's constitutional. Nor is your opinion of the "well being" of others the standard.
Well being is not an opinion. It is objective. Whether you are harmed or not can be measured.

Quote:
Homosexual sex has been well-documented to be unhealthy. You can stick your head in the sand, and I'm sure you might call me a bigot for even pointing that out.
You are not a bigot. You are just not thinking critically about your arguments.
Homosexual sex is no more unhealthy than same aspect of heterosexual sex. Tattoo is not healthy either.
But adults can figure it out for themselves.

Quote:
But the fact remains, it's not intellectually consistent to tell a man that he can't marry his mother or sister if you're going to argue that SSM should be legal.
It is not a fact. It is simply bad, illogical argument.
Your feelings aside, SSM will harm no one.
Marring mother or sister will result in a sick child being born.

Quote:
You have yet to really make that case. Many of us don't believe that anyone has a right to define marriage however they want.
Who cares. You can believe whatever you want. You just don't have a right to force your strange believes that are not rutted in reality on others.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Gay sex causes birth defects? That's a new one on me.
I never said that, did I? Why are you unable to have an honest discussion on this?
Quote:
And unelected judges deciding the legality of our laws is the way the Constitution set the system up. Again, deal with it.
That assumes they actually look at the Constitution to make the decision.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
Well being is not an opinion. It is objective. Whether you are harmed or not can be measured.

You are not a bigot. You are just not thinking critically about your arguments.
Homosexual sex is no more unhealthy than same aspect of heterosexual sex. Tattoo is not healthy either.
But adults can figure it out for themselves.

It is not a fact. It is simply bad, illogical argument.
Your feelings aside, SSM will harm no one.
Except perhaps the people involved, the children that are adopted by the people involved, etc.
Quote:
Marring mother or sister will result in a sick child being born.
Actually, I've seen some proponents of it suggest that the risk is overstated.
Quote:

Who cares. You can believe whatever you want. You just don't have a right to force your strange believes that are not rutted in reality on others.
And likewise, you don't have the right to force your views of SSM or incestual marriage on anyone else.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yet, you don't seem to be concerned about the health risks associated with gay sex.

You don't grasp the difference between two men deciding to take whatever risks there might be , vs causing an innocent child to live their life with a birth defect ?

Let me give you some help. Explain why it is of more concern for a pregnant women to do drugs than a homeless guy living under a bridge.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You don't grasp the difference between two men deciding to take whatever risks there might be , vs causing an innocent child to live their life with a birth defect ?
And you don't grasp the difference between 2 men doing what they want in their bedroom and adopting a child and teaching that child that an unhealthy practice is acceptable? Or changing the very definition of an institution that has existed since time began to suit a very few people?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:00 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,822,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the fundamentalist obsession with this has to do with the belief they have that marriage is "ordained by god" and is therefore holy matrimony. As such, I can only conclude that some subconscious version of your parody plays out in their head when this "god ordained institution" is sullied / disrespected / perverted by society. They fear god will judge them along with society unless they can demonstrate that they have fought tooth and nail against it. It breaks the majick.
This is correct. Most of them know that same-sex marriage is not going away and neither is homosexuality, but they believe the fact that they continue to fight against it will prevent an angry God from destroying America in a fiery holocaust. As soon as they accept it, that will be the end for America. This belief comes from Genesis 18:16-33, where Abraham pleads with God to not destroy Sodom and God agrees to allow the city to remain if ten righteous people can be found.

To evangelical Christians, in order to be righteous, one must not only oppose homosexuality and gay marriage in their church but must oppose it in society as well. If somehow Obergefell was rolled back, they wouldn't stop there. Their next focus would be Lawrence v Texas.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I never said that, did I? Why are you unable to have an honest discussion on this?
You most certainly did, in post 41. Now scurry back and edit the post to try and claim you didn't actual say it. Except I took a screenshot of it , since their quote function here doesn't copy in the words you respond to , to give the entire picture of what you are saying.

Quote:

That assumes they actually look at the Constitution to make the decision.

Too idiotic a statement to bother responding to.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
And you don't grasp the difference between 2 men doing what they want in their bedroom and adopting a child and teaching that child that an unhealthy practice is acceptable? Or changing the very definition of an institution that has existed since time began to suit a very few people?

The problems you bring up are merely your opinion. Youre welcome to them, but they aren't facts.

Couldnt you find the courage to answer my question about the pregnant women doing drugs vs a homeless guy doing them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.