Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:02 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Consciousness is a PRODUCT of the brain, not a property. It does NOT remain within the material composition of the brain. Like its measurable cohorts (EM emissions), it leaves the brain to reside within the unified field that establishes our reality. That is where our consciousness actually resides. As the factory producing it, we retain a connection through the recordings (memories) retained in the brain and we experience our reality as a delayed playback of those recordings. This is what engenders all the confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's an emergent property...want to test this? See if a person with a lobotomy has a functioning consciousness.
I realize that you and so many others actually think that the use of emergent actually explains anything other than "we see it coming from there." But it doesn't explain anything and certainly cannot support differentiation between a product of processes and a mere property.
Quote:
If you have evidence of this then do share.
Again if you have evidence of this then do share.
To date everything that you have stated as not been substantiated by anyone or anything.
In fact, it would be huge Neuroscience news and someone would have won the Nobel prize in Neuroscience if such claims as you proposed were true.
However, we have lots of evidence to the contrary.
Q: If energy is neither created nor destroyed, what happens to the energy within our bodies and brains when we die?
All the energy is transformed into various forms only one of which is our composite consciousness which is in a form analogous to EM radiation. In other words, it is emitted but is currently unmeasurable like the "dark" forms in the Cosmos. The analogy might be to a TV broadcast that does not remain in the TV studio that produces it. It is in the unified field as EM radiation and can be picked up and viewed elsewhere in the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM

22,201 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Any actual evidence for.... well... ANY of this? Or do you just enjoy making up pretty tales that sound nice and happy slappy for all concerned?
if you have nothing to offer on what happens in the afterlife, then you have nothing to offer.

many people do have something to offer on what happens in the afterlife, and are able to contribute to the discussion on what happens in the afterlife. i have no interest in discussing proof or evidence with you because i am not trying to convince you of anything.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-19-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Which is why I prefer to be buried naturally. No cremation, no embalming..just let my body decompose naturally through the naturally occurring process of decomposition. Set my atoms free naturally!
I can see the argument but burial is relatively expensive and land-intensive.

There's a natural burial place near me where you can be literally buried in a shroud without a coffin which is a decent in-between option that avoids all the embalming chemicals and expense and of course the coffin and vault. It's the old-fashioned way where there's a mound of dirt above you that eventually subsumes into the void left by your decaying body.

My brother always has said, "just put me in a plastic bag and bury me in the back yard" but I think the zoning board would have something to say about that ;-)

My wife and I are going with cremation because of the simplicity and low cost. Both our spouses went that route and it was rather nice to be able to scatter the ashes and even share them with family members. But to each their own. I completely respect what you're suggesting.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
I realize that you and so many others actually think that the use of emergent actually explains anything other than "we see it coming from there." But it doesn't explain anything and certainly cannot support differentiation between a product of processes and a mere property.
No you don't realize what I am saying and you also don't possess the ability to support differentiation between a product of processes and a mere property. It's pretty simple that if you don't have a brain then you don't have consciousness.

If consciousness is this all powerful magical thing that you have created in your mind...then why are we so easily made unconscious with anesthesia? Why don't we have loud and clear conscious input from people who are dead? Why does a person lose conscious functioning when a specific part of their brain is damaged. Why can't we tap into each others consciousness or other species consciousness?

Quote:
All the energy is transformed into various forms only one of which is our composite consciousness which is in a form analogous to EM radiation. In other words, it is emitted but is currently unmeasurable like the "dark" forms in the Cosmos. The analogy might be to a TV broadcast that does not remain in the TV studio that produces it. It is in the unified field as EM radiation and can be picked up and viewed elsewhere in the universe.
All the energy we have and use is only borrowed energy from the Universe. When we die this energy dissipates as heat into the surroundings.

This energy does not come from within us. We must supply ourselves with the proper fuels to keep this energy supply alive.

Simply stop eating and drinking and see how quickly you lose consciousness.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My brother always has said, "just put me in a plastic bag and bury me in the back yard" but I think the zoning board would have something to say about that ;-)
If I could have it my way I would simply be asked to be dropped off in the middle of the ocean...back to where I came from.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It's pretty simple that if you don't have a brain then you don't have consciousness.
we still have awareness without a brain
we still have awareness without a body
we still have awareness when we are unconscious
we still have awareness when the body dies, when the brain dies, when the body is dead and buried we still have awareness

the part of us that is spirit is always aware.
only the physical body dies. the spirit lives on and sees and is aware and continues its existence.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we still have awareness without a brain
we still have awareness without a body
we still have awareness when the body dies, when the brain dies, when the body is dead and buried we still have awareness.
I would be happy to review any evidence that you have about these claims but until then I am not convinced merely by you just saying so.

Quote:
we still have awareness when we are unconscious
Now this is just plain ignorance.

Let's define awareness: subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of self-hood, and the executive control system of the mind.

Nope we don't have awareness when we are unconscious. When I was put under by anesthetics before surgery, the last thing I was aware of was the Anesthesiologist telling me to put the masked over my mouth and take DEEP breaths. Four hours later I was awakened and had NO awareness of what had transpired from the time I took that second DEEP breath until I was woke up.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I would be happy to review any evidence that you have about these claims but until then I am not convinced merely by you just saying so.
i have no desire to convince you of anything or prove anything to you.

understanding the physical world is one area of knowledge, learning, and exploration.

understanding the life force that animates the physical (some call it the spirit or soul) is another area of knowledge, learning, and exploration.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
i have no desire to convince you of anything or prove anything to you.
understanding the physical world is one area of knowledge, learning, and exploration.
That's all we really have is it not? If there were fairies and magical gods then of course we would be able to include them with our learning and exploration...so why waste your time making them up? Understanding the world we live in is all we really have. Understanding the COSMOS is all we really have. Understanding humans and their limitations is all we really have. Developing your mind and behaving as a kind compassionate human is all we can really do. Here and now is what really matters.

Quote:
understanding the life force that animates the physical (some call it the spirit or soul) is another area of knowledge, learning, and exploration.
Understanding the forces in the Universe is certainly what we are currently exploring. Just look at how far we have come in our understanding of the Como's since the bible was written! We are still exploring.

We understand how life evolves and what happens to living systems when they expire.

I have no need to create the concept of any afterlife to make my time while alive meaningful. I don't have a fear of death...everything dies. It's a natural process for every species that has ever existed. It's also a natural process in the Universe, with Stars, Solar Systems and Galaxies. The Sun is going to die. The Earth is going to die. The Universe is going to die. Just understanding it from this perspective should make you want to live a much more meaningful life. We are only here a blink of an eye on the Comic calendar. Make the best of it and be the best human you can during you short stint on this tiny pale blue dot.

You can't avoid it no matter how much you deny it in your mind or try to comfort the thought of it by thinking there is an afterlife.

If there was absolute evidence of a fabulous afterlife...I think suicide rates and physician assisted deaths would be much higher.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-19-2016 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Let's define awareness: subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of self-hood, and the executive control system of the mind.

Nope we don't have awareness when we are unconscious. When I was put under by anesthetics before surgery, the last thing I was aware of was the Anesthesiologist telling me to put the masked over my mouth and take DEEP breaths. Four hours later I was awakened and had NO awareness of what had transpired from the time I took that second DEEP breath until I was woke up.
you are talking only about the part of you that is "conscious" of what happens when you are awake: what you see, what you experience, what you remember in this lifetime, in this physical world, in this physical reality.

there is another part of you (let's call it your soul or spirit) that is always awake, always aware, and has access to not just this physical world, but also inhabits and explores other realms of existence. It is the part of you that enters your physical body (at birth), lives for a time inhabiting your physical body, and then leaves your physical body (at death). It is like putting on a coat, wearing it for a while, and then taking off the coat.

The physical body is what dies and disintegrates. The part of you that is not physical (soul or spirit) continues to live and have awareness and explore the realms that are beyond the physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality