Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 PM

738 posts, read 585,384 times

Advertisements

Love to believe in it, but I don't. You get one ride on the merry go round. Once you're dead you're dead.

What the hell am I going to do with no body, for eternity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 02:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a legitimate position that essentially places all speculation on the true nature of our reality and the more intractable issues off limits. I can accept that, even from a feisty young thing!
I am impressed you ole curmudgeon thing. 💋💋💋
Quote:
These fundamental issues are not easy to contemplate nor to integrate with the extant knowledge, especially as we learn more and more about what we don't know. My efforts to bridge the gap with analogies, philosophical speculation and hypotheses are tainted by my experiences and certainty that God exists. It seems that my BELIEFS cannot be parsed from my scientific speculations. The resistance, nay, absolute repugnance for God concepts seems to color any serious and objective consideration of my hypotheses. Gaylen's efforts have only deepened my hopelessness.
No need to feel hopeless for what you personally want to believe. Just don't expect us to buy into it or put us down as if we have no clue and you are the only one who does. We both know this is not true.

I know there is something more to what we understand about the world we live in. I could sit here and list my life long very interesting experiences, and no doubt wow you with them. But that is not the point...the point is that certainly there is something more. However I don't insert a god of the gaps or agape love or any of that to explain it. The Universe is a very hostile place and there is no ID or creator that caused life on Earth to form. That's for certain. However the spirit world, the world of dreaming, the intuition, the unexplainable phenomena that I and most certainly others have experienced are real and certainly feel magical.

I give thanks for it touching my life, and I have my own ideas of what could explain these experiences. And I am not talking about explaining away these experiences...I am taking about my interpretation of these real events/experiences. I tend to believe that every single person has had these types of experiences but because most are not scientifically literate they insert fluff bs to explain it. Or based on their religious "conditioning" or self-conditioning's they insert fluff bs. Most of this fluff bs has been disproved.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:07 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
As Arq, you were a genuine open-minded (if concrete) thinker. But as Transponder you have become antagonistic and taken to blatant lying and misrepresentation characterizing any and every disputation as a debunk of my views in the manner of "he who must not be named." Your qualification to understand my views is non-existent. Your qualification to pass judgment on what has or has not debunked my views is non-existent. And, sadly, any and all respect I had for your open-mindedness has been shattered. I truly miss the Arq that I considered a friend.
What a grubby and dishonest ploy . I treat you exactly the same way as Trans as I did as Arq. It is I am willing to bet, a self -serving delusion that a change of name has somehow turned me into a werewolf, so you can easily disregard whatever you want to.

It is true that I don't debate with you any more, because I have got you sussed out. But you know darn well that I had sussed you a couple of years ago. I now do the same as I did - explain what you are talking about and why to those who are puzzled, and show up your flawed arguments, Just as I did. And I have no more personal animosity towards you now than I did then.

P.s. I noted what Matadora picked up. Nobody is saying that speculation is 'off limits'. You may recall that I said that philosophy has value in making suggestions to follow up that science can look into to prove or disprove it. I remain of the same view.

P,P.s I don't contest the 'concrete' label. I have always said that I think in practical terms.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-21-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 03:22 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You should be. Since your ploy of argument by telling the opposition they are ignorant is getting you nowhere. (Matadora exposed you totally on your consciousness=Dark matter speculation) I respect Gaylen greatly not least because he helped me to understand what you seemed more inclined not to clarify but just used the jargon in your make 'em feel stupid' gambit. I had to refuse to buy his last argument about Chalmer's zombies, and I accept that maybe I didn't understand. But nevertheless, it is still a philosophical argument which is not proof of anything without a scientific validation, even if it supported your theory, which I doubt.

So that said, I merely remind you that poster after poster who has engaged with you has seen through you in the end. It doesn't matter that you still think you have the right of it. What matters is that you are being debunked by one poster after another, even though you deny it and insist everyone is ignorant but you.

One of the better summations of Mystic I have read here . Reps for this .

Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
One of the better summations of Mystic I have read here . Reps for this .
Ta. Keep 'em coming.I swap 'em for Euros.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Science became Natural Science and Philosophy remained Philosophy. At this point Philosophy started becoming marginalized and it's been more and more marginalized ever since.

Of course Philosophers are not thrilled with this fact, but it's just a fact.
Yes. Quite a few stand-up philosophers are standing in line down at the Vnemployment Office as we speak.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Love to believe in it, but I don't. You get one ride on the merry go round. Once you're dead you're dead.
Didn't Adam have a healthy physical body ?______
If Adam had Not broken God's Law Adam would still be healthy alive on Earth today.
ALL the people Jesus' resurrected were resurrected with healthy physical bodies.
That arrangement was temporary, but under Christ's 1,000-year governmental ruership over Earth resurrections will be permanent. In other words, the majority of mankind will be restored back to happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth.
That is why the ' future tense' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.......

The resurrections that Jesus performed were a small-scale preview, or coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand-global scale during his coming millennium-long resurrection day when most people will have the opportunity to live forever ( eternity ) in a physically sound body in perfect health capable of spending eternity on a beautiful paradisical Earth forever and ever as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 that the humble meek would inherit ( Not heaven ) but Earth.
- Psalm 37:11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22

So, unless you are part of the some called to heaven - Revelation 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10, then you can be part of the many who can live forever ( eternity ) on Earth when there will be healing for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2

Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Complete Nonsense Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Don't want to believe in God? Don't believe in God! But denying an afterlife is willful ignorance.

Let me explain. We have in the nature world thousands of plants and animals (probably more, not a scientist). We have natural weather events. The thing is, even a casual look at seasonal patterns, and at certain animals puts doubt to the theory that we have one life and then we die off completely.

First, we have several animals that transform into other creatures. To the creature at its earlier stages, that bug no longer sees its friends anymore and mourns them. That's a hint. We see death as an end, but there is nothing to suggest it isn't a sort of transformation into existence on a parallel universe.

Then we have the seasons. Everything seems to die at winter but returns to life in spring. Another hint. Death and life are a continuum.

Everything in nature shows existence doesn't end but goes dormant.

Then we have this.

The reincarnation of human souls has proved already! - Complete Nonsense Network

Proof! Also Keanu Reeves doesn't age.
Well isn't that convincing?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 AM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post

Drift around endlessly peaking in at living people having ... ummm ... fun?

And yeah, I'd love to believe it too but not for myself - for my son. For a while it actually felt as though he was still with me in spirit. I can understand where this belief in an afterlife originated.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 AM

Another 'agnostic theist' thread with claims of a sorta -hod and an afterlife of some kind not looking anything like as demonstrable as they would like us to believe. What the heck does it matter, anyway? There is no Church or book of rules to follow. There is no impact of society. Why are we having this argument at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality