Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,290,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you are talking only about the part of you that is "conscious" of what happens when you are awake: what you see, what you experience, what you remember in this lifetime, in this physical world, in this physical reality.
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about.

Why were you using the word consciousness but kept jumping to the words spirit or soul?
Quote:
The physical body is what dies and disintegrates. The part of you that is not physical (soul or spirit) continues to live and have awareness and explore the realms that are beyond the physical.
Until there is a much better understanding on this topic I will not be making knowledge claims about something we have no evidence for. I personally have had many experiences that would make one believe in something unusual or that there is more to our understanding of the world, but I am not willing to just make up an afterlife and all the other fluff that people do. I have my own beliefs as to what those those experiences are. I think we all have unique experiences that make us think there is something more to this world, I think it's just the way the energy of the Universe works. It's not magic...it's simply how the Universe works.

I keep an open mind but I refuse to make things up or create a god or think that I am some special little snowflake favorite of some invisible force.

And since we don't fully know how the Universe works...then I am happy to just say that we don't know. I would rather do this than believe in something that may be wrong. I would rather do this than make thinks up or jump on the bandwagon of other people's made up dream.

I am truly thankful and happy for those odd things that I have experienced virtually all of my life. They are still occurring. I always give thanks to the Universe when those things occur. I can honestly say that I have been one of the luckiest people on this planet in spite of all that I have seen and been through. I feel that Universal energy on my side during my "lucky" moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 10:42 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I realize that you and so many others actually think that the use of emergent actually explains anything other than "we see it coming from there." But it doesn't explain anything and certainly cannot support differentiation between a product of processes and a mere property.All the energy is transformed into various forms only one of which is our composite consciousness which is in a form analogous to EM radiation. In other words, it is emitted but is currently unmeasurable like the "dark" forms in the Cosmos. The analogy might be to a TV broadcast that does not remain in the TV studio that produces it. It is in the unified field as EM radiation and can be picked up and viewed elsewhere in the universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No you don't realize what I am saying and you also don't possess the ability to support differentiation between a product of processes and a mere property. It's pretty simple that if you don't have a brain then you don't have consciousness.
If consciousness is this all powerful magical thing that you have created in your mind...then why are we so easily made unconscious with anesthesia? Why don't we have loud and clear conscious input from people who are dead? Why does a person lose conscious functioning when a specific part of their brain is damaged. Why can't we tap into each others consciousness or other species consciousness?
Why does the TV program cease to be viewable when the TV studio is taken off-line? Why does the TV program experience technical difficulties when a part of the equipment is damaged? We do not know what form of energy consciousness is comprised of and cannot measure or capture it, so how are we to do those other things ??
Quote:
All the energy we have and use is only borrowed energy from the Universe. When we die this energy dissipates as heat into the surroundings.
All the measurable 5% type energy, yes, but what about the 95+% type???
Quote:
This energy does not come from within us. We must supply ourselves with the proper fuels to keep this energy supply alive.
Simply stop eating and drinking and see how quickly you lose consciousness.
But what is the source of the initial energy that starts us on this journey of energy transformation we call life???

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,536 times
Quote:
if you have nothing to offer on what happens in the afterlife, then you have nothing to offer.
My point exactly. Thank you for making it for me. You have NOTHING to offer on what happened in the after life. You have NOTHING to offer to even suggest there IS an after life. By your own admission therefore the tripe you posted earlier on the thread you simply made it up. Imagination is a wonderful thing, do not get me wrong. But do not fail to notice where imagination ends and reality begins.

Quote:
many people do have something to offer on what happens in the afterlife
Sure. They, like you, have their imagination to offer. Alas for those of us asking whether there actually is reason to think there REALLY is an after life.... you know outside the imaginary world in your head..... this does not offer much.

Quote:
i have no interest in discussing proof or evidence with you because i am not trying to convince you of anything.
You have no interest in discussing proof or evidence because you simply have SQUAT to discuss. You have not GOT any. Simple as.

Quote:
understanding the life force that animates the physical (some call it the spirit or soul) is another area of knowledge, learning, and exploration.
Then by all means offer the "knowledge" and sources you have on the subject. So far you have just offered assertion and imagination and then run away when questioned on it.

Quote:
there is another part of you (let's call it your soul or spirit) that is always awake, always aware, and has access to not just this physical world, but also inhabits and explores other realms of existence.
More imagination from you. More assertion. Still no substance or substantiation. You are simply making this crap up as you go along.

Quote:
The part of you that is not physical (soul or spirit) continues to live and have awareness and explore the realms that are beyond the physical.
More imagination from you. More assertion. Still no substance or substantiation. You are simply making this crap up as you go along.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,041,018 times
Struck by the awesome power of the hammer of Thor.

Good post Noz!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:55 AM

50,095 posts, read 20,850,068 times
So the "knowing" there is an afterlife ends up in speculations about unknowns. The argument that a guesswork answer must be true if we prefer not to guess or that Fairies at the bottom of the garden is better than not knowing why flowers are coloured.

I will leave Mystic and his Cosmic Consciousness religion for Matadora to Suss. When people broadcasting a TV show that stops and the particles cease to be ordered into pictures (To put it broadly) is metaphored into either natural physics that either work and persist or don't and vanish OR "God" (which metaphor, I hardly need point out, requires a planning mind, here) then we see that the whole argument for labelling nature as "God" is a refribbed I/D.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,290,462 times
Quote:
Why does the TV program cease to be viewable when the TV studio is taken off-line? Why does the TV program experience technical difficulties when a part of the equipment is damaged?
I'm not a tech person so I really don't know the exact mechanisms as to how this occurs but it's not related to anything that I'm talking about.
Quote:
We do not know what form of energy consciousness is comprised of and cannot measure or capture it, so how are we to do those other things ??
Look up the Subtraction Method and fMRI for measuring consciousness.
Quote:
All the measurable 5% type energy, yes, but what about the 95+% type???
Here you are once again confusing consciousness with Dark Energy and Dark Matter.
Quote:
But what is the source of the initial energy that starts us on this journey of energy transformation we call life???
Can you be more specific here? I don't understand the question.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:06 AM

50,095 posts, read 20,850,068 times
Mystic's hypothesis (which we yet again are apparently debating ) is that dark Matter (and dark energy) is the vehicle for cosmic consciousness Aka "God". Which actually undermines his theory, since he regards everything (Dark stuff or not) as "God" (1). Dark matter is a suitable Mysterious thing that is handy to point to as a known science-y thing that looks good to him as the cosmic -consciousness mechanism. In other words another ploy intended to persuade (not to say Bamboozle) the unwary and gullible.

(1) and that is the point of the final question. "What is it?" (The Cosmos/everything) is an attempt to feed us the First cause conclusion, that there is a Something that did it all. This of course is meaningless (as you observed) unless you begin arguing with the assumption of an intelligent creator.

Continue with the Sussing.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:19 AM

22,678 posts, read 19,370,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
so anything you don't know, anything you don't understand, anything you don't accept, anything you don't agree with is "imaginary made up crap." got it.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:26 AM

20,154 posts, read 13,597,358 times
Quote:
so anything you don't know, anything you don't understand, anything you don't accept, anything you don't agree with is "imaginary made up crap." got it.
No, you are putting things on Nozz that is in no way his. It is not on him for not knowing unless there is actual validated knowledge that he's refusing to embrace. He's inviting you to impart it, but all you do is make assertions without substantiating them. It's not on him to understand something you haven't begun to explain. And it's certainly not on him to accept something you have not given him any reason to think is anything other than your own fancy.

So try again to provide substantiation and logical argument that thinking people can engage with in order to gain this knowledge and understanding you demand that they have, and finally accept what you want them to accept.

As Nozz said: simple as.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 AM

22,678 posts, read 19,370,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's not on him to understand something you haven't begun to explain. And it's certainly not on him to accept something you have not given him any reason to think is anything other than your own fancy. So try again to provide substantiation and logical argument that thinking people can engage with in order to gain this knowledge and understanding you demand that they have, and finally accept what you want them to accept.
i don't care what he understands or accepts. that is of no interest to me whatsoever, and has no value whatsoever to me. i have no desire to convince him of anything, or prove anything to him. I am responding to a question ptsum asked within a larger discussion of the afterlife. the topic is of interest to me. if he wants to learn, he can go learn. that's up to him, not up to me.

truly "thinking people" who truly have a desire to learn and understand, don't go about it with demands, hostility, contempt, insults, and ridicule. same goes for you mordant, condescension duly noted yet again in your posts.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-20-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality