Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I can work with that. I will do the same when its your turn to take the podium
So long as you don't do like the crew of Argonauts, I can ask no more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 05:36 PM

22,207 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Atheists will not be subordinate to any god. Neither will God. In this way, atheists are just like God. By adopting for themselves what in essence is God's First Commandment, atheists have made themselves His peer group.

Atheists are asking the wrong party when they ask us to produce evidence that, by its definition, cannot be measured using earthly tools. Ain't gonna happen. Atheists need to ask this of God Himself. Atheists need to ask God to break the laws of physics and throw them a bone. This is well within God's power.

Except atheists won't ask Him, as that would have them subordinate themselves to a god, so they ask us instead, knowing we can't deliver. For His part, God ain't answering atheists, because, as He once said, He will not have other gods before Him. He requires subordination.

So, there is the impasse.
this is well said.
the character trait of humbleness is central to every authentic path of self-improvement, self-development, spirituality, and religion. it is a cornerstone of character and integrity, whether a person is religious or not.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this is well said.
the character trait of humbleness is central to every authentic path of self-improvement, self-development, spirituality, and religion. it is a cornerstone of character and integrity, whether a person is religious or not.
How humble is it to assert that you have special knowledge of a supernatural creator of all things ever made?

I'm sure it's my fault I didn't seek this out though, amirite?

Old 06-05-2016, 05:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
Quote:

Atheists are asking the wrong party when they ask us to produce evidence that, by its definition, cannot be measured using earthly tools. Ain't gonna happen. Atheists need to ask this of God Himself. Atheists need to ask God to break the laws of physics and throw them a bone. This is well within God's power.

I'm ready to ask.....which god should I address the inquiry to?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:28 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Yeah, good luck with that.

I've noticed that atheists as a group have something in common with God in that both strongly believe in the biblical First Commandment, usually summed up as "Thou shalt have no other gods before me".

Atheists will not be subordinate to any god. Neither will God. In this way, atheists are just like God. By adopting for themselves what in essence is God's First Commandment, atheists have made themselves His peer group.

Except atheists won't ask Him, as that would have them subordinate themselves to a god, so they ask us instead, knowing we can't deliver. For His part, God ain't answering atheists, because, as He once said, He will not have other gods before Him. He requires subordination.

So, there is the impasse.
Atheists don't talk to god because they do not see a good reason to believe there is one to talk TO. So that's an interesting theory you have, it's just that it's dead on arrival. By definition of the word "atheist" which is, "a person who does not believe in any deities".

In declining belief in god, we do not thereby elevate ourselves to godhead. To do that we would have to claim omniscience (which we don't do, particularly in that the vast majority of us aren't making a knowledge claim about god's non-existence). We do not claim to know everything, to be all powerful, or to be all-benevolent, or to have some kind if inherent authority over others.

What you wrongly perceive as making ourselves some sort of supreme authority (without, of course, asking us about our actual reasons or motives -- it appears you have some sort of mind reading abilities) is actually simply taking personal responsibility for our beliefs and actions in the world. Rather than say "god told me to do x" we say "I thought it best to do x" and in doing so we accept responsibility for the success or failure of that decision as well as for the intended and unintended consequences to others. Rather than arrogantly claim divine sanction for our beliefs and actions, we own our own beliefs and moral positions. Which is actually humility-inducing. No heavenly robes to hide behind. We might be -- and sometimes are -- wrong. Happily, though, not being encumbered by an immutable, rigid, legalistic list of do's and don'ts, we can change our views based on experience and new information, and thus improve our effectiveness.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:12 PM

204 posts, read 145,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I'm ready to ask.....which god should I address the inquiry to?
Well, I think you are actually not ready to ask God anything but only say it that way as a strategic and clever preface to your question. Ok, that’s cool. Since it is I whom you are asking, though, of course I’d direct you to a specific One whom I have been inculcated to believe. However, as an atheist, you are in a remarkable position, more than I, to start from scratch (10 points to anyone who caught the oblique and inadvertent reference there) and evaluate the deities that are out there from which to choose (or create your own) and place your petition(s) to the choice you make. Some folks try out a different few before they settle on a one, I’ve read. I’d say, do your due diligence before choosing. Don’t panic, you’ve got your whole life to do this.

Although, may I suggest that, when you do place your petitions, you avoid saying anything strategic and clever, as you did here? I may be cool with it, but a sincere petition works best.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Atheists don't talk to god because they do not see a good reason to believe there is one to talk TO. So that's an interesting theory you have, it's just that it's dead on arrival. By definition of the word "atheist" which is, "a person who does not believe in any deities".

In declining belief in god, we do not thereby elevate ourselves to godhead. To do that we would have to claim omniscience (which we don't do, particularly in that the vast majority of us aren't making a knowledge claim about god's non-existence). We do not claim to know everything, to be all powerful, or to be all-benevolent, or to have some kind if inherent authority over others.

What you wrongly perceive as making ourselves some sort of supreme authority (without, of course, asking us about our actual reasons or motives -- it appears you have some sort of mind reading abilities) is actually simply taking personal responsibility for our beliefs and actions in the world. Rather than say "god told me to do x" we say "I thought it best to do x" and in doing so we accept responsibility for the success or failure of that decision as well as for the intended and unintended consequences to others. Rather than arrogantly claim divine sanction for our beliefs and actions, we own our own beliefs and moral positions. Which is actually humility-inducing. No heavenly robes to hide behind. We might be -- and sometimes are -- wrong. Happily, though, not being encumbered by an immutable, rigid, legalistic list of do's and don'ts, we can change our views based on experience and new information, and thus improve our effectiveness.
In agreement with you, I don’t expect an atheist to accept the premise of my creative comparison and I hope I had explained as much in a subsequent post (currently Post #237 on page 24). From a theist point of view, however, my thought path is interesting and not empty. It could explain to theists why atheists come up empty when petitioning other humans for extraordinary proof.

Nor am I saying that atheists make themselves out to be a deity. In that same subsequent post, I put forth the opposite.

You likely responded immediately after reading the post of mine that you had recapped in your response before you saw and read the subsequent post. Easy to do in long threads of many pages.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
It seems people don't understand what religion is. Religion is about belief. Belief in things (or power) that is not evident. If it can be proved objectively, it's not religion anymore - it would be science.
This way of thinking is western. We want to see things with our eyes. Was Jesus for real? Did Moses part the waters?
There are hundreds of millions Buddhists in the world. Do they say: if you can't show me Buddha's grave, I'm not going to be part of this religion. I also need forensic proof that he was fat and had 1000 arms! It's simply the eastern way.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I forgot to point out, please, that my theory, as I wrote it, relies on the fact that you state above, that atheists do not see a good reason to believe there is a god to talk to. I had included your statement in my theory, worded differently. Please look for it. I can understand that you may be understanding me to suggest that atheists see a god but just won't subordinate to it. I really meant your wording, that atheists see no god to subordinate to. My theory is not dead on arrival since you and I actually agree on this.

To clarify elsewhere, my theory means to say that atheists declare themselves a peer group only by coincidence as would be noticed by theists (or maybe by just me), not by any conscious choice of atheists. Atheists don't care to imitate any First Commandment, of course.

I am hoping to relieve you here of any need to defend that you do not acknowledge a higher power when I know, and my theory sought to state, that you do not. The thrust of my theory is to offer to the OP why it can't work to solicit here for evidence under the conditions specified by the OP.

Last edited by sylvianfisher; 06-06-2016 at 01:58 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Well, I think you are actually not ready to ask God anything but only say it that way as a strategic and clever preface to your question. Ok, that’s cool. Since it is I whom you are asking, though, of course I’d direct you to a specific One whom I have been inculcated to believe. However, as an atheist, you are in a remarkable position, more than I, to start from scratch (10 points to anyone who caught the oblique and inadvertent reference there) and evaluate the deities that are out there from which to choose (or create your own) and place your petition(s) to the choice you make. Some folks try out a different few before they settle on a one, I’ve read. I’d say, do your due diligence before choosing. Don’t panic, you’ve got your whole life to do this.

Although, may I suggest that, when you do place your petitions, you avoid saying anything strategic and clever, as you did here? I may be cool with it, but a sincere petition works best.
Condescend much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality