Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
By way of background, I was born Catholic, but in my 20's walked away from all forms of religion and became a non-believer. Why? I just couldn't swallow such fantastic flights of fantasy, and so many disconnects in logic and rationality without at least some substantive, verifiable evidence. I don't believe in Santa Claus, BTW, for the same reasons I don't believe in any god or creator etc., or a "life" after death, re-birth, reincarnation etc., of any type. There simply isn't, in my experience, any evidence whatsoever.

However, I am open to new information, and would ask if anyone has any direct evidence, please present it.

Two basic standards apply:

1. It has to be verifiably true
2. It has to have direct evidentiary value. IOW, it has to speak directly and substantively to the premise that there is, in fact, a god.

BTW, no dogma-as-evidence or anecdotal submissions - only real "stuff" that can be verified.
There is a universe. It can be tested and verified. That is your evidence. How did it get here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is a universe. It can be tested and verified. That is your evidence. How did it get here?
I know! I know! Ask me!!

Your godling magi-poofed it!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
So if you don't know....just make up whatever could explain it? Or follow what somebody else made up?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
So if you don't know....just make up whatever could explain it? Or follow what somebody else made up?
Isn't that what science does? Don't know how the different species got here? EVOLUTIONDIDIT!

Don't know how life started? ABIOGENESISDIDIT!

Bottom line is, instead of just assuming that it's impossible for a supernatural explanation to explain it, why not look at all the options? There is a universe, and the only logical explanation is that something/someone caused it.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I know! I know! Ask me!!

Your godling magi-poofed it!
Poof there it is.

how the regular believers follow that must be telling us something.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Isn't that what science does? Don't know how the different species got here? EVOLUTIONDIDIT!

Bottom line is, instead of just assuming that it's impossible for a supernatural explanation to explain it, why not look at all the options? There is a universe, and the only logical explanation is that something/someone caused it.
No duh statement. We need to "trigger warn" against this.

Warning: The work above or articles therein may contain blatantly obvious reasoning for anyone with half a brain. If you feel that you do not have half a brain, please do not read the following material as it has been known to produce trauma.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:22 PM

204 posts, read 145,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Perhaps the answer, now I have had enough coffee to kick start my brain, is that, without a god - belief, there is nothing to fall back on but a humanist social mindset. This is often seen as 'making ourselves God'.
Speaking for myself, I've never actually assumed anyone intentionally made themselves a god. I mean, that comparison I made about atheists being God's peer group through a common belief in (the essence of) the First Commandment was just me being creative. I wouldn't expect an atheist to take that thought path as that would be giving validation to the First Commandment, something I suspect only a Christian would do. It required that you share in the proposal for me to have offered it, and I knew that.

I don't think atheists claim responsibility for creating the universe or creating any of the other things that Christians attribute to God's hand, and I believe Christians also don't think that atheists created those things, so I would gently expect atheists to recognize at some level that Christians actually cannot believe that atheists think they are God when we see no contemporary evidence that atheists are performing at a level attributable to God, leaving only the stick-poking Christians among us to continue the fiction by demanding that atheists perform miracles as proof that they are God. (Or maybe atheists do receive such requests from Christians? I don't know. Seems an unproductive and pointless sidebar to even bother with.)

Old 06-04-2016, 02:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Speaking for myself, I've never actually assumed anyone intentionally made themselves a god. I mean, that comparison I made about atheists being God's peer group through a common belief in (the essence of) the First Commandment was just me being creative. I wouldn't expect an atheist to take that thought path as that would be giving validation to the First Commandment, something I suspect only a Christian would do. It required that you share in the proposal for me to have offered it, and I knew that.

I don't think atheists claim responsibility for creating the universe or creating any of the other things that Christians attribute to God's hand, and I believe Christians also don't think that atheists created those things, so I would gently expect atheists to recognize at some level that Christians actually cannot believe that atheists think they are God when we see no contemporary evidence that atheists are performing at a level attributable to God, leaving only the stick-poking Christians among us to continue the fiction by demanding that atheists perform miracles as proof that they are God. (Or maybe atheists do receive such requests from Christians? I don't know. Seems an unproductive and pointless sidebar to even bother with.)
I agree, but at one time it was quite a popular accusation to slap atheists with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
No duh statement. We need to "trigger warn" against this.

Warning: The work above or articles therein may contain blatantly obvious reasoning for anyone with half a brain. If you feel that you do not have half a brain, please do not read the following material as it has been known to produce trauma.
Thank you for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99
Quote:

Withut turning it into yet another cosmic origins or (please no ) another evolution thread (evidently you haven't bothered with the one I'm doing at the moment) we have looked at all the options.

While the evidence indicates that evolution did dun it, that doesn't disprove a god. It does pretty much do for Genesis, which I will credit you with knowing since you clearly have more than a half -brain cell. Abiogenesis is at least the hypothetical ending of the path back to non -life, the raw material fills space, and there is some research and models that make it look feasible. Against that, what does goddunit have other than a debunked chapter 1 in an ancient book?
Are you beginning to get the drift? It is getting through to you? Are you realizing at all that being obtuse is not making you or your bandobast for religion look very credible?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-04-2016 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 03:57 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:

I always like to see a theist make progress in realizing that evolution doesn't deal with the origin of life, but I should point out that abiogenesis is simply an unproven hypothesis at this point. It is a scientifically valid hypothesis, but a hypothesis nonetheless. So there is not "DidIt" claim being made at this time. At best, it would be "MightHaveDidit" or, most vexing to you, doubtless, "MoreLikelyThanGodDidIt".

Old 06-04-2016, 07:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:

not exactly.

sediment is laid down horizontally ... not that hard.
If we see these layers twisted up I wonder what happened? they moved and moved again? 1st grade maybe?
If you see a fish in a rock where was that rock when it started? Not to hard is it?
How long did it take to go from a fish to a rock?
How long did it take to get into a position where it could be found? hmm, we in 7th grade now?
the deeper you dig the older it gets ... that's not hard is it? about 1st grade I should think.
The older the rock, the less life forms we see? hmm what does that say?
The oldest rock has single cells, the younger rock has multi cells. What is the most reasonable speculation?

yeah, thats it, something went "Poof there it is" ... to look like it evolved. yeah, thats it, "poof there it is" is the most plausible guess. I am in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality