Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 07:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm still missing the substantive rebuttal to my claim that the GOD I perceive (ALL THE MATTER/ENERGY THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED), comports definitively, and objectively exists.
Because...there is no substantive rebuttal.
Just straw grasping attempts to redact the known, expert definition to be just "Religious Deities", so the non Religious Deity meanings for GOD (that are known to objectively exist) are taken off the table.
Without a redaction of the known, expert definition of "G-O-D", to just Religious Deities, Atheism is invalidated.
Bad enough Atheism is illogical (based upon a "no evidence" premise) to begin with...now that GOD has been objectively established, it is nullified.
No loss though...losing Nuthin' (Atheism) still just leaves nuthin'...so ur no worse off.
Normally a thread where you can exhibit your poledancing skills is one I stay out of, but how you can say that your footling semantic swindle of labelling 'Nature' "God" hasn't been rebutted, I don't know.

(1) while it is true the dictionary has an additional use of God as applied to a thing of supreme importance and it has been used to refer to the workings of the universe, it is also perfectly valid to see the usage as no more than metaphor and accuracy requires the term 'Nature'. God being better reserved for man -invented deities. You can use the term how you like, but your swindle,which lies in saying that we are wrong in preferring the less misleading usages, debunks you.

(2) in addition to this, you had admitted that such a god had to be intelligent. Your attempt to wriggle out of it with some reference to the extent to which is has to be intelligent...which is of course at least as much as us and arguably a sight more, because we can't make universes or guide evolution yet..shows how you are rattling the bars since your escape plan didn't open the door. The fact is that you are debunked until you can demonstrate that Nature is Intelligent.

(3) in view of the above double -debunk, the remainder of your post staggers by its blinkered dishonesty, underlines the rebuttal in purple by your pretending to have forgotten (again ..even after having reminded you) and you give away your entire game plan by bouncing in a series of rhetorical leaps to where you want to get to: 'nullified' atheism.

And to to light the candle on the top of your head with the rest of the cake slopped round your neck, to claim that not believing what has no good evidence is somehow logically invalid gets you run out of credibility city as quickly as it would get you thrown out of a court of law.

Well done son. Your biggest car -crash yet. Mystic must be so proud.

P.s I hope Shirina is ok.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-28-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:18 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This exchange with mordant and KC should help you to see why your position has done nothing to debunk anything I have ever said nor validated your anti-philosophy stance. Your post deserves the same "QED" that I rendered to KC.

Okay, but the acceptance of those limitations does NOT make reality actually HAVE those limitations. That tends to be the corollary to the materialism espoused by most atheists here on the forum. They exclude from the possible those things that cannot conform to or currently be explained by science. They reject legitimate hypotheses DERIVED from existing knowledge in science because of the limitation. They lump them into the same category as the illegitimate and completely fanciful hypotheticals, like tooth fairies, unicorns, leprechauns and Flying Spaghetti Monsters. THAT is the fallacious and illogical reasoning that characterizes most atheist thought, Gaylen notwithstanding. They consider the philosophical, logical and extrapolative reasoning to be pointless and illegitimate despite its quite legitimate provenance and history of success in advancing the cause of science on the frontiers.
QED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You can tell you're very confident in your opinion by the way you hide out here and snipe from the sidelines rather than actually dare to participate in the thread you're quoting.
I hide nowhere and I add what I think will provide fodder for Gaylen. There is little I can add to his excellent explanations. They are superior to any I have provided and still they fail to penetrate the atheist fogbank of materialism and concrete thinking. That does not bode well for my more abstruse explanations.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
"Seem" being the important word here given you have not shown I actually have any such "problem" at all, so much as you have merely invented it. Because all my comments so far have been about me, not about theists. I am merely describing how A) theists are not substantiating their claims in any way and B) that I am unable to believe the unsubstantiated.
Okay. YOU don't believe. Billions of other people on Earth disagree and see no real need for "scientific evidence." I am with them.

Quote:
So given my comments are mostly about me.... any "problem" you imagine I have with theists is just that.... imagined. But do not let reality get in the way of straw manning me and my positions whatever you do. (Note: Correct use of the term straw man).
[/quote]

You keep going on about "evidence". I am pointing out that "evidence" in the sense you are referring to is irrelevant in regards to faith. That's why they call it FAITH.

Quote:
Speak for yourself. You certainly are not describing me.

To me it is more like saying "The common cold is part of the make-up of humans". When in fact it is not that the common cold is part of our make up, but things that leave us prone to infection with the common cold are part of our make up.

Things like "hyper active agency detection" "fear of death" "need for narrative" and "The intentional stance" are part of the human make up. And those attributes do leave us prone to infection from unsubstantiated memes.
It is a part of human makeup as much as sexuality is. Just as the existence of a certain percentage of the world who is asexual does not change the fact that our species is sexual by nature, the existence of a certain percentage of atheists does not change the fact that our species is spiritual by nature.

And religion has a lot more to offer than things like "fear of death" and all that. Mythology, tradition, ritual, etc are all a part of the human story and religion has been a huge part of telling that story.

Quote:
To a degree. But when you are not offering any substantiation AT ALL, the relevance of any relativity is moot. Even someone who sucks at math can be led to an understanding of calculus eventually through patient exploration of the data and evidence and arguments and reasoning by someone who understands them. The same appears not to be true of theistic discourse however as none of them, least of all you, is offering ANY arguments, evidence data or reasoning in the first place. So the analogy you offer is not sound because in one case there is a failure to understand the substantiation..... but in the other case there is a failure to even OFFER any.
Everything in bold is irrelevant to the topic at hand. I need "evidence" for Faith about as much as I need "evidence" for the beauty of the music of Led Zeppelin. It is absolutely irrational for me to prefer Led Zeppelin or Dead Can Dance over Nirvana or Phish. And yet I do. No amount of scientific evidence can convince me that Nirvana or Phish are better than Led Zeppelin or Dead Can Dance. Why? These are not questions of "reason, science" or what have you, but questions of what the individual feels.

Questions of faith are about just that: faith. They are to be approached philosophical, not through "scientific evidence."

Why is this such a hard thing to understand?

Quote:

But no one is asking you to prove a negative. You are being asked if there is any substantiation on offer that there is a god. The answer seemingly being that no, there is not.

Does that mean there is no god? Clearly not. It simply means there is no reason on offer by you to suggest there IS one.
Absolutely. It is absolutely completely irrational and unscientific for me to believe in God. AND. YOUR. POINT. IS. WHAT. EXACTLY?

Quote:
Did I suggest that it does or needs to? No. All I am stating, without any rebuttal from you it seems, is that while our understanding of consciousness is limited..... 100% of what we understand so far points one way..... and 0% of what we understand so far points the other.

I have said no more, or less, than that.
And what is "consciousness" exactly? Philosophical question there, no science needed.

Quote:
"missing" suggests a default that you have no way established is a default.
I am not saying it is a default, just saying it is different. And yes, atheists are different from the majority of the world's population.

Quote:
And yet the existence of color can be substantiated even to the color blind. Even to the blind. So again the analogy you resort to is not a sound one at all. Quite the opposite.

Yes, the color blind can have an UNDERSTANDING that color exist and can have a list of what colors are...but can they ever EXPERIENCE color? I am not talking about THE EXISTENCE OF color, but the FEELING of awe that comes when looking at a rainbow. Someone who has never seen in color cannot hope to truly grasp the vibrant red of a fire truck, the bright green color of a praying mantis or how beautiful that cosmic blue Jeep I've had my eye on is.

Religion does exist: can we agree on that? But if you go to a Gnostic Mass you will not experience it, anymore than if someone who only listens to hip-hop would not truly experience a Led Zeppelin concert even if they were there.

The existence of a thing and the EXPERIENCE of a thing are not the same.

Quote:
I thought the point was blatantly obvious. You described it as rational and my point was that that description is not sound.
"Sound" and "rational" are not the same thing. And yes, religion is irrational...AND?

The best things in life are irrational. Love, passion, beauty, humor, these are all outside of the realm of science, and yet are awesome.

The "why" we believe cannot be explained in words...it can only be experienced. Just as the beauty of a rainbow cannot be explained in words that a color-blind person can understand. They can get the general concept of prisms of light and reflection and all that, but could they ever hope of opening their eyes and going "wow" at the sight of a rainbow over the Pacific on the edge of a rainforest? No.

Likewise, you could read this: The Gospel of Thomas Collection - Translations and Resources and understand the words...but you could not hope to FEEL what it is saying.

It cannot be understand through reason but rather, through the heart.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You keep going on about "evidence". I am pointing out that "evidence" in the sense you are referring to is irrelevant in regards to faith. That's why they call it FAITH.

Everything in bold is irrelevant to the topic at hand. I need "evidence" for Faith about as much as I need "evidence" for the beauty of the music of Led Zeppelin. It is absolutely irrational for me to prefer Led Zeppelin or Dead Can Dance over Nirvana or Phish. And yet I do. No amount of scientific evidence can convince me that Nirvana or Phish are better than Led Zeppelin or Dead Can Dance. Why? These are not questions of "reason, science" or what have you, but questions of what the individual feels.

It is absolutely completely irrational and unscientific for me to believe in God. [u][b]AND. YOUR. POINT. IS. WHAT. EXACTLY?
The thing about faith and evidence is that faith is required to believe in something that doesn't exist. Evidence is required to have knowledge that something does exist.

If God really did exist, you would not require faith to believe he exists. In fact, if God really did exist, the whole point of having faith would be ... well, pointless.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
In fact, if God really did exist, the whole point of having faith would be ... well, pointless.
Exactly old thing. ..but they don't seem to get it. We have posters here like Mike555 claiming that faith is necessary, while claiming there is historical evidence! LMAO! It's a complete contradiction.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Okay. YOU don't believe. Billions of other people on Earth disagree and see no real need for "scientific evidence." I am with them.
How nice for you but that does not really answer a thing I have said or asked. It is more like a mix between pure cop out, and argumentum ad populum. You are merely now dodging what I have said and.... I also note.... not moving to apologize for, or retract, the misrepresentation I highlighted.

Quote:
Get with the topic of the thread. The thread is about evidence and not faith. That's why they call it a topic. So the only one "going on" here is you. All I am doing is sticking to the topic of the thread. Try it sometime.

All I did was point out that your comment about "choosing" to believe is very false for many people. And in response you have gone on a long haughty rant about "faith".... problems you imagine I have with theists but do not......... and more. So not once have you actually managed to address the point I have made.

Quote:
It is a part of human makeup as much as sexuality is.
Then I repeat: Speak for yourself. You certainly are not describing me. If it is part of YOUR make up as much as your sexuality is then so be it. I can not comment on that. But if you want to extrapolate from that, without any other argument or evidence whatsoever, that it is part of human make up.... then you are just engaging in stone wall assertion and nothing more.

Quote:
Just as the existence of a certain percentage of the world who is asexual does not change the fact that our species is sexual by nature, the existence of a certain percentage of atheists does not change the fact that our species is spiritual by nature.
Nice term switch and goal post move there. In the last post I replied to you asserted that "Religion is a part of the make-up of humans.". Now you have tried to swap that for the term "spiritual" in the hope no one would notice. Newsflash: I noticed.

"Spiritual" is a much more dilute term and means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. And in many of those definitions I would wholly agree with you that we are "spiritual by nature". But it would wholly depend on which definition of "spiritual" you are using.

Quote:
And religion has a lot more to offer than things like "fear of death" and all that. Mythology, tradition, ritual, etc are all a part of the human story and religion has been a huge part of telling that story.
Then you do nothing more than relegate religion to packaging, which is something I have done myself in the past. Story telling is indeed a huge part of Human Nature. The writer Terry Prattchett highlighted this in one of his more sciencey books when he pointed out Homosapien (The Wise Ape) was probably a bad name for our species. We should have been called "Pans Narrans" (The story telling chimp).

Part of our nature very much is to live our lives by a narrative. We do not need religion for that however. Nor does this mean religion is part of our nature. At best religion is just a service provider pandering to that story telling narrative nature of our species.

So you are making my point for me, while operating under the pretense that you are debating or rebutting me. Because my point very much was that it is not that religion is part of human nature.... but that religion.... like the common cold..... exploits and assimilates things that ARE part of our human nature.

But that does not make religion part of natural human nature or make up any more than.... as I said..... the common cold can be said to be part of human make up or nature.

So yea, well done on making my point for me, and so well too.

Quote:
Everything in bold is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Given you are harping on about "faith" and dodging all requests for "evidence".... on a thread that is about evidence and not faith.... you simply do not have the credibility, pedestal, or authority that you apparently think you have to admonish anyone but yourself on being off topic.

And that is BEFORE I point out that the things bolded that you have simply dodges as "irrelevant" could not in fact be MORE on topic to the topic of the thread. So you are simply being blatantly and willfully dishonest here to boot. SOME decorum and integrity please!

Quote:
I need "evidence" for Faith about as much as I need "evidence" for the beauty of the music of Led Zeppelin.
And actually as it happens we very much do now have a working science or art and beauty which is moving towards explaining why humans find various forms of art "beautiful". So once again you are making my point beautifully for me and falling into every trap laid for you. While YOU might not want or require evidence, the fact is there IS evidence there to be had on such topics.

Contrast this to claims such as the existence of an after life and/or a god. While YOU might not want evidence for those claims and while YOU might have this magical ability to "choose" what to believe in the face of zero substantiation.... that does not change the fact that.... unlike topics such as art..... there simply does not appear to BE evidence to be had.

So YOU might not want evidence for religious claims and YOU might not evidence for artistic claims..... and both of those things are fine.... but that does not change the fact there IS evidence to be had on one but not on the other.

Quote:
Why is this such a hard thing to understand?
You would do well not to equate someone disagreeing with your position, or rubbishing your position, or commenting on the utility of a position..... as failing to understand your position. You have not said ONCE thing so far on this entire forum, let alone thread, that I have failed to "understand". Not once. Ever.

Quote:
Absolutely. It is absolutely completely irrational and unscientific for me to believe in God. AND. YOUR. POINT. IS. WHAT. EXACTLY?
My point could not be clearer, but I am happy to repeat it for you if you are unable to keep up. You have engaged in so many tangents and misrepresentations and rantings since my original post to you that I can imagine you have simply lost track of what my original point was. Recall by original point in post #138. Where your original shouty message was that there is nothing wrong with "choosing to believe".

And in response I pointed out that as well as that might be..... the vast majority (in fact the totality) of my experience with atheists.... which is quite wide as it happens..... is that they do not "choose" to believe at all. There are simply UNABLE to believe given the lack of ANY evidence of ANY form for the kinds of claims you and your ilk are spouting.

Quote:
[/b][/u] And what is "consciousness" exactly? Philosophical question there, no science needed. I am not saying it is a default, just saying it is different. And yes, atheists are different from the majority of the world's population. Yes, the color blind can have an UNDERSTANDING that color exist and can have a list of what colors are...but can they ever EXPERIENCE color?
Actually yes some of them can when we stimulate the relevant areas of the brain. They might be blind in that their eyes and visual cortex are not where that stimulus comes from.... but that does not mean the relevant areas of the brain can not be stimulated. In fact those areas of the brain can be stimulated in all kinds of ways. If you look into the study of synaesthesia for example we are currently finding out how areas of the brain (such as experiencing color) can be "wrongly" stimulated by entirely different processes.... such as by usage of the parts of the brain normally associated with numerical understanding.

However all that is a tangent to the point you simply missed. Because my point is not about whether they can EXPERIENCE color or not. Just like my point is not about whether you EXPERIENCE god or not.

No, my point is that your analogy to color-blindness fails. The analogy is clearly attempting to suggest I am blind to something you can see. And the reason that this analogy fails is that the existence of color can be evidenced and proven to not just the color blind, but the blind. If the blind person comes to me saying "Substantiate the existence of color to me!" I can sit down and do it. I have the evidence to do it. I will not just say "You are blind and can not see what I can see!!!!" and then run away having copped out of his challenge.

But that is what you do. You have NO argument, evidence, data or reasoning to offer to substantiate religious claims. So you simply suggest I am in some way "blind" and run away. So your analogy is perfect to..... yet AGAIN.... make my point for me. Because while a blind man might not experience color..... in the same way you claim I can not experience the religion truths you hold to..... the fact remains that I can still evidence the EXISTENCE of the thing the blind man is blind to and I am telling him he is blind to. You: Not so much. Maybe some day.

Or put shorter: There is a difference between being blind to something that can be shown to exist...... and being accused of being blind to something someone is pretending exists.

Quote:
I am not talking about THE EXISTENCE OF color, but the FEELING of awe that comes when looking at a rainbow.
And I very much doubt that I experience any less awe at life, the universe, and everything than you do. Or than any theist does. Quite the opposite. I fully suspect I feel ALL the same things they and you do ABOUT ALL the same things you feel them about.

The difference therefore does not lie in what awe I feel or what I feel it about. The difference lies in the narrative I parse that awe through. I, unlike you and most theists it would seem, feel no need to parse that awe through a completely unsubstantiated and nonsense narrative. Nor do I feel the need to personify the object of my awe and call it "god" and act like it is a real entity with a real consciousness or mind or intellect or intention or design.

Quote:
Religion does exist: can we agree on that?
Not only would I agree on it, I can not recall ever saying a single thing that would even REMOTELY require that you need make that agreement explicit.

Quote:
The existence of a thing and the EXPERIENCE of a thing are not the same.
Nor have I ANYWHERE suggested otherwise. Very clear it is in fact that many people in our species "experience" things that are patently not there. So "experience" of a thing is not just entirely different from the existence of the thing sometimes.... it is entirely independent of it.

Which (another case of you making the point for the "other" side) is why atheists more often than not reject anecdote and experience as evidence in discussions about the existence of god. Because no matter how much you might think you are "experiencing" a thing.... that does not mean it is actually there.

A great case in point on this very forum would be the self styled mystic who goes around saying he "experienced" god while meditating and that this is evidence to him that god exists. Yet there are other users who......... upon reading the full descriptions of ALL the things this guy claims to have experienced.... they have experienced all the same things in meditation too...... like literally every single bit of it (and more)....... and they see NO reason at all why those experienced can be parsed as evidence for god.

So you make a distinction between existence and experience. I agree ENTIRELY With that distinction. But I would add a third distinction..... how people choose to parse experience through a narrative.

The question then becomes..... since people with ZERO belief in god do not appear to be lacking any experience you have described having........ what validates or lends credence to how you are CHOOSING to parse those experiences? Is it merely, as you have indicated in the first post I responded to, simply a choice to do so? Or would you be capable, for once, of adumbrating some substantive link between the two that adds more substance to that move other than simply hiding behind "Faith" and retreat?

Quote:
"Sound" and "rational" are not the same thing. And yes, religion is irrational...AND?

The best things in life are irrational. Love, passion, beauty, humor, these are all outside of the realm of science, and yet are awesome.
I neither see why those things should be declared irrational.... or outside the realms of science. As I alluded to earlier in the post.... the contrary is actually true and we now have a very young but very operational area of science very much exploring scientific truths of things like beauty and humor and morality and love our responses to them.

So it would seem your declaration of them being irrational and outside the purview of science is mere assertion and nothing more, as is generally your wont and MO it would seem at this stage.

Quote:
The "why" we believe cannot be explained in words...
For you, clearly. The "why" I believe anything I believe I very much can explain in words.

Quote:
it can only be experienced. Just as the beauty of a rainbow cannot be explained in words that a color-blind person can understand.
Again for you, clearly. But I think that would be YOUR lack of empathy, imagination, linguistic ability and more. Because I see nothing in the human condition as being an isolated island, and in fact the very art of language itself is BUILT on the foundation we have as humans to connect disconnected ideas, and describe one set of concepts by reference and reliance on others.

So while I have no doubt it is DIFFICULT To do...... I see no reason to declare impossible the attempt to lead a blind person to a strong and working understanding of the beauty of color or rainbows. If you feel you can not do it, that is fine, but I would merely warn you of the lack of wisdom of extrapolating your own limitations into objective assertions about reality.

Quote:
Likewise, you could read this: The Gospel of Thomas Collection - Translations and Resources and understand the words...but you could not hope to FEEL what it is saying.
Nice of you to simply assume to know me, and what I can feel or not feel. In fact, as with just about all of your wanton and egregiously baseless assertions..... especially the ones about me personally...... the EXACT opposite of what you say is yet again what is true.

There is nothing that precludes me from reading a beautiful text and being just as moved as you are by it. Nor have you suggested a single reason why I might not be. In fact arguably even the opposite might be true, because I am not limited to parsing my experience of such texts through a single narrative I have for no reason at all decided is true. But I can parse them through multiple and enjoy multiple depths of such a text.

It is one of the reasons why organisations such as Atheist Ireland, of which I am a founding member, actually have campaigns to get MORE people to read things like the King James Bible. Because we can be moved emotionally and powerfully by the beauty of the text. And an understanding of the text lends many more depths of understanding and beauty later on when one comes to read the works of Milton or Shakespeare.

Nor do I actually have to BELIEVE there is a god in order to parse such texts through that narrative. I am just as capable as you of imagining such a being, personifying all of reality in the form of such a being in my mind, and reading religious texts through that narrative and parsing it in that way, and being highly moved by the image. I just do not have to give up reason and actually start believing the entity I have manufactured is real in order to do it. If YOU do.... then that is your failing, not mine.

So I have NO.... literally NO..... lack of ability to understand the things you offer emotionally as well as intellectually. It reminds me of playing with my children. With them I, and they, immerse ourselves in an imaginary world or magic and powers and beings that bears no resemblance to reality.

And while we are in the game it is real to us. What is great about the imagination of children is that at no point do they have to believe their fantasy in order to make it real to them or to enjoy it or derive every possible level of pleasure and passion from it. They have a powerful ability to immerse themselves in fantasy without losing sight of reality.

One wonders when grown ups lose that ability. Where you imagine.... and that is all it is, imagination..... I can not understand the things you present "with the heart"..... the reality is that I can do so EVERY bit as much as you. I just never lost the ability I had as a child to be able to do that..... without losing sight of what is actually real.

And in fact, what always warms and tickles my heart, is that when I immerse myself wholly in the world of fantasy and imagination with my children...... I do so so completely that it is usually them, not me, that stops and does a reality check by saying things like "You know this is all pretend right daddy?" and I have seen other users on this forum say that too.

In fact when children ask me about god, my own children or others, and my position on the matter.... that is usually how I respond to them. I tell them to think how they love to imagine in their games, and how real it seems to them WHILE They imagine it, but how they still know it is not real. Then I ask them to imagine LOSING that ability to tell the difference between imagination and reality. When they do that.... I then tell them that that is why I think many people believe in a god.

And so far not one child I have said that to appears to have gone on to become a believer. I think they SO understand what I am saying that I have hit upon a very powerful inoculation against infection from the god meme virus.

Quite often reason allows us to experience MORE beauty that purely thinking with the heart too. Take the experience of looking at a large and majestic tree. A theist MIGHT experience the beauty of it and parse that through their "awe" at the designer who placed it there. And that might be all they get from it.

I would with my heart experience the SAME awe and beauty. But then with my reason I can see deeper than the superficial beauty of the tree. My mind and reason takes me deeper to the processes, amazingly complex and sometimes even seeming to defy the very laws of physics themselves. These processes and the inter play between them are another layer of beauty that I can feed to and parse with my heart.

Then I see past that again to the long, complex and majestic process of designless and designerless evolution that led to that tree standing before me today. A process that is paradoxically beautiful in it's total simplicity, yet the total complexity of what it produces.

So yea..... you simply are not on the pedestal you imagine while you harp on haughtily about understanding with the brain and heart. I am not only every bit as much there as you, but probably in many ways far beyond. Or put another way: Get over yourself.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:16 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:

And what is "consciousness" exactly? Philosophical question there, no science needed.

I am not saying it is a default, just saying it is different. And yes, atheists are different from the majority of the world's population.
Concerning the highlighted text, I believe most of us can agree. The problem with it is that you are making a scientific claim, which requires evidence. If a God exists, scientists no longer need to search for the beginning of life or the cosmos, we already know.

Paraphrasing Sam Harris, religion or belief in a God rationalizes what many believe what only a lunatic could believe on his own. Simply because billions believe that donkeys and snakes can talk and that water can be turned into wine without the use of science does not validate those claims. If only one person believed this, he/she would be branded a lunatic and possibly institutionalized. So please don't use the ad populum fallacy.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:47 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Two basic standards apply:

1. It has to be verifiably true
2. It has to have direct evidentiary value. IOW, it has to speak directly and substantively to the premise that there is, in fact, a god.
Well, some people say the fact that the universe exists is evidence that a god created it. Matter, energy, space and time could not have come about spontaneously, or could it?

How do you respond to that?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
So ..good post Nozz. You hit hard sometimes, but there was nothing but plain and reasonable talk in your post...we end up with appeal to faith and arguments that are irrational like millions of people believe or irrelevant like what is consciousness and where did the universe come from? how mane times do we have to say that wgat can't be described in materialist terms does not automatically mean that a god has to be the best answer, let alone an answer accepted as fact so that no alternatives will be considered.

It all makes sense if you realize that believers assume God as a given before the argument even starts. And another thing to keep in mind is that, as soon as the believer cites Faith as the rationale, even if science and logic isn't dismissed as irrelevant, they have automatically given up all claim to have valid evidence or sound reasoning to support their case. Though I suppose they will still fish around for evidence and logical constructs to support their case, even if they were wrong (just like Creationism) and that is because they know on Faith. Evidence is just a tool to prove what is known on faith and it doesn't matter whether it is is valid or not, so long as it supports the faith effectively.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, some people say the fact that the universe exists is evidence that a god created it. Matter, energy, space and time could not have come about spontaneously, or could it?

How do you respond to that?
Yes...it could have or it could have been created by gods. The intellectually honest answer would be ...'We don't know with 100% certainty but we do have theories.' 'We don't know' does not equate to 'god did it'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality