Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Why don't you honestly look into this yourself, instead of demanding that
others who don't even know you spend hard time and effort typing at a keyboard
on some obscure message board ?
Why does providing evidence for god(s) involve so much hard time and effort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Oh, really? I must have missed that.
I only recall a plea for redacting the known, expert, FULL definition of "G-O-D" to be just Religious Deities...and a bit of other insignificant and bogus straw-grabbing type stuff.
You wanna run that logical and reasonable rebuttal past me again? I don't ever remember seeing one. But, again, I mighta missed it...though I doubt it.
Go for it.
You didn't miss it. You just ignore it. It was pointed out that to pick a sub -definition of "god" was to ignore all the other entries which are actually more relevant to a religion forum. You also picked up Mystic's 'everything' = "God" therefore God exists. You conceded that for that title to be more appropriate than 'nature' it would have to be intelligent and forward -planning. I asked you to show that was so. Still waiting and indeed you are purporting to have 'missed it'.

That has put paid to your credibility.
Quote:
Why don't you honestly look into this yourself, instead of demanding that
others who don't even know you spend hard time and effort typing at a keyboard
on some obscure message board ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why does providing evidence for god(s) involve so much hard time and effort?
Indeed.It is a hoary old ploy to decline to substantiate their god -claim and to tell us to go and do the research ourselves. That we have been doing here forre years - and then we are asked why we spend so much time talking about it if we don't believe it? The answer is that we are looking for some good evidence to support the god -claim. if there was really good evidence, we would be convinced. So far, it has not been presented. All the 'evidence' crumbles on examination.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
What is this "evidence" you people demand ?
Are you sure you even want it ?

We "deists" don't go around
demanding evidence from atheists for the NON-existence of God.

By placing this illogical burden on us, you presume that the NON-
existence of God is predisposed, which is b.s.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:34 PM

788 posts, read 512,953 times
Quote:
What is this "evidence" you people demand ?
Are you sure you even want it ?

We "deists" don't go around
demanding evidence from atheists for the NON-existence of God.

By placing this illogical burden on us, you presume that the NON-
existence of God is predisposed, which is b.s.
Evidence. Something that is verifiable that can substantiate the wild, irrational claism of christianity.

Yes, we're sure.

Our evidence is voluminous. For example, there are no photographs of your god. No astronomer has found "heaven", medical science has found no soul, and all the stories of the bible have been shown to be false, or at the very least, unsubstantiated by fact or logic. Still we are open to real, substantive evidence. Got any?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:03 PM

86 posts, read 79,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
By way of background, I was born Catholic, but in my 20's walked away from all forms of religion and became a non-believer. Why? I just couldn't swallow such fantastic flights of fantasy, and so many disconnects in logic and rationality without at least some substantive, verifiable evidence. I don't believe in Santa Claus, BTW, for the same reasons I don't believe in any god or creator etc., or a "life" after death, re-birth, reincarnation etc., of any type. There simply isn't, in my experience, any evidence whatsoever.

However, I am open to new information, and would ask if anyone has any direct evidence, please present it.

Two basic standards apply:

1. It has to be verifiably true
2. It has to have direct evidentiary value. IOW, it has to speak directly and substantively to the premise that there is, in fact, a god.

BTW, no dogma-as-evidence or anecdotal submissions - only real "stuff" that can be verified.
Well, you shouldn't believe something just because someone told you, that's what Christians and Atheists do. They try to coerce you until you accept their beliefs. It's my belief that both are wrong and I've had strange experiences (visions, dreams, etc.) throughout my life that have influenced me to believe as I do. For me, it's all Jesus. I'd still be an Atheist had I not had the experiences I did. I do believe in something greater than this world, I just don't believe in myself do ANYTHING at all for that. I was raised in Catholicism, myself, but my heart was never in it.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestville native View Post
Well, you shouldn't believe something just because someone told you, that's what Christians and Atheists do. They try to coerce you until you accept their beliefs. It's my belief that both are wrong and I've had strange experiences (visions, dreams, etc.) throughout my life that have influenced me to believe as I do. For me, it's all Jesus. I'd still be an Atheist had I not had the experiences I did. I do believe in something greater than this world, I just don't believe in myself do ANYTHING at all for that. I was raised in Catholicism, myself, but my heart was never in it.
Exactly what have we Atheists tried to coerce you or anyone into believing just because we say so? How do you know your dreams and visions come from Jesus?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:25 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Evidence can either support a premise, or contradict a premise, but it must speak definitely to the premis.
I am looking for evidence that supports the premise that there is, in fact, a god, creator etc.
No you are NOT. You are looking for any evidence of a God or creator OTHER THAN the one you implicitly accept as responsible for the existence of our current reality including your existence. You blindly accept the existence of our reality without the slightest idea what IT IS or why it is. That is blindly accepting a God.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:35 PM

86 posts, read 79,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Exactly what have we Atheists tried to coerce you or anyone into believing just because we say so? How do you know your dreams and visions come from Jesus?
Oh, lets see, I'm (insert dozens of rude and insulting words) if I say I believe in God. Atheists do this behind my back, too, probably even moreso. But to be fair, Christians essentially do the same thing to me, but in a nicer looking way, which is even more insulting.

How do I know my dreams and visions come from Jesus? I don't absolutely know, but even if they didn't, there's still something about the whole God thing that hits me deep.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestville native View Post
Oh, lets see, I'm (insert dozens of rude and insulting words) if I say I believe in God. Atheists do this behind my back, too, probably even moreso. But to be fair, Christians essentially do the same thing to me, but in a nicer looking way, which is even more insulting.

How do I know my dreams and visions come from Jesus? I don't absolutely know, but even if they didn't, there's still something about the whole God thing that hits me deep.
I'm calling your bluff on the highlighted statement. Can you provide specific examples?

So,(correct me if I'm wrong), it could one of any number of Gods, but you choose Jesus because that's what you been raised to believe is the most probable deity. Is it possible that these visions and dreams originated in your own brain and not from some supernatural source?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No you are NOT. You are looking for any evidence of a God or creator OTHER THAN the one you implicitly accept as responsible for the existence of our current reality including your existence. You blindly accept the existence of our reality without the slightest idea what IT IS or why it is. That is blindly accepting a God.
Oh, man! This is sweet!
This very concept is what cracks me up. Just to think about it...let alone see it written out in no uncertain terms!

We have people that exist within and as part of God...and are the essence of God themselves (like everyone and everything)...that then ask for the evidence for God, cuz they don't know of any! That's rich!
But I love the Atheists anyway...I mean, I was one for near 40 years, and have never been at all Religious. Well, not for real, anyway.
The Atheists cling to their "no evidence" premise...and ride that illogical horse to a conclusion and determination that they shouldn't believe in the existence of everything they experience every second of their life.
Matter of fact...there are few concepts that have more people more aware of more evidence against it than Atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality