Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 03:35 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I would suggest that you be a little less certain of the composition of our reality and allow for the existence of God. That does not necessarily mean the Bible God as usually described.
I would suggest that you realise that many atheists _do_ "allow for the existence of a god". Very few of them are invested in there being no god - or are disallowing for the possibility of one - they just see no reason to think there _is_ one.

"Allowing" for one does not mean accepting there is one for no reason - certainly not for any of your god of the gaps non-reasons.

But not thinking there is one due to lack of evidence is _also_ no "Disallowing" for one either. You would do well to learn the difference between not believing something is true - and not believing that that thing could possibly be true. The majority of atheists in my experience are of the former position - not the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
You seem to have an amazing degree of cognitive dissonance that prevents you from even acknowledging when you are mistaken. Your description of our reality and mine are identical. The part to which we apply our science comprises less than 5% of it and the remaining 95+% is beyond the reach of our current science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Really? Then what is my description of reality?
Get off of the 5% rubbish. We know a heck of a lot more than 5% of what is going on in the diseases that we can cure, human physiology, genetics, evolution, ecology, agriculture, manufacturing, technology, aerodynamics and so on. Thankfully!
You are not that obtuse. If ALL the matter and energy that we can measure and apply our science to in our entire universe comprises less than 5% of the total, what about that do you not understand??? What possible difference does it make if we know 95% of the 5%???It is still less than 5% of our reality.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
You are not that obtuse. If ALL the matter and energy that we can measure and apply our science to in our entire universe comprises less than 5% of the total, what about that do you not understand??? What possible difference does it make if we know 95% of the 5%???It is still less than 5% of our reality.

That is a misuse of statistics or numbers. If there were nine things making up 5% and 1 thing making up the other 95% and we did not know what the one thing is you would be incorrect is stating that we only know about 5% of the things. We would know 90% of the things and not know 10%. That would be like saying we cannot know almost anything about slope erosion on earth because we do not know about slope erosion on any of the planets we have not yet discovered.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
No I am not obtuse in the least.

It appears that you just don't understand what you are trying to sell us.

Like I said before your reality is not mine.

Badlander is Spot On!...wow a total misuse of statistics!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is a misuse of statistics or numbers. If there were nine things making up 5% and 1 thing making up the other 95% and we did not know what the one thing is you would be incorrect is stating that we only know about 5% of the things. We would know 90% of the things and not know 10%. That would be like saying we cannot know almost anything about slope erosion on earth because we do not know about slope erosion on any of the planets we have not yet discovered.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Biblical testimonials. Didn't the bible present a ludicrous story of a flood that covered the entire Earth, and for which there is not a shred of evidence? Never head of a single verified miracle - none. Myths and superstitions, but no verified miracles. Nothing, zip, zero, nada. Even the story of Jesus was written 10 years after the fact, and who knows if it wasn't an impressionist they saw, or perhaps they crucified someone that looked like but wasn't Jesus. As any LEO can tell you Eye Witness evidence is the least-reliable of all, and you guys don't even have photographs or fingerprints or anything at all.

Faith and reason are exact opposites and as such incompatible in logic and rationality. Do you have any non-material evidence, such as radio waves, radiation, other form of energy that could be a "spirit" or "soul". you guys make the people who search for ghosts seem fully rational and legitimate.

And assuming your god is real, what kind of SOB is he. Builds flawed people, with foibles and weaknesses and vulnerability and subject to all sort of temptations, and they punishes them for being what HE made them to be!!! Says he loves you and then gives you Cancer (and what kind of loving god would invent Cancer in the first place). Gives children Cancer, or the least lets some fallen Angel (oops) run amok. If I was a god and I acted as yours is alleged to, I would fall on my sword and let somebody else take over. Hell, a drunk would be a step up.

No, my friends, the contradictions, the disconnects, the two-facedness is just too strong, the evidence so absolutely absent, for any creator worth a damn to exist. But I am still waiting.... still open to reviewing anything, but all that has been presented so far, basiically is just excuse-making and gibberish.
geez. I suppose you don't believe in any of the Marian apparitions
or Fatima. Or any of the miracles of saints, or eucharistic miracles,
or anything else.. it's ok, although I highly doubt you are qualified
by research to account for their veracities.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:39 PM

788 posts, read 512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
geez. I suppose you don't believe in any of the Marian apparitions
or Fatima. Or any of the miracles of saints, or eucharistic miracles,
or anything else.. it's ok, although I highly doubt you are qualified
by research to account for their veracities.
Do you have anything but religious folklore to prove the veracity of these "evidences". Scientific study etc. Independent, qualified observers verifying them? If so, post a link to such studies

Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Do you have anything but religious folklore to prove the veracity of these "evidences". Scientific study etc. Independent, qualified observers verifying them? If so, post a link to such studies
Nah...not needed either.
You don't need "scientific studies" for evidence.
There are thousands...tens of thousands...of precedent court cases where "eyewitness testimony" and "written records" have been deemed sufficient "evidence" to draw conclusions and make determinations. Even with a persons life on the line of the decision.
Matter of fact...throughout human history it has been the most common and relied on "evidence".
Whoever says you need "scientific studies" to have "evidence" isn't hip to how this world works, and has always worked.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:32 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocardinals View Post
as stated above by another poster.

You look at a desert and believe that there is no such as water that exists.

You reached this conclusion after using your intelligence and logic. And i don't have a problem with it.
ok.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
::Sigh:: Our reality is comprised of matter and energy 5% of which is of the kind we can investigate and the other 95% we can only see its effects.ALL of our science involves the 5% of our reality. If you investigated and understood 100% of that 5% it would still only be 5% of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality