Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 05:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: Our reality is comprised of matter and energy 5% of which is of the kind we can investigate and the other 95% we can only see its effects.ALL of our science involves the 5% of our reality. If you investigated and understood 100% of that 5% it would still only be 5% of reality.
but that 5% is all we can speak too. Like an incomplete puzzle, we can point to all the 'blank" spaces and predict what is there and other blank spaces. A prediction based on nothing. Or we can point to the pieces we do have and predict what might be in some of the blank "spaces".

Doing that, we see its more reasonable to claim we are part of a larger, probably living, universe. That's what some theist/atheist believers feel. And they are more correct than the atheist that claim "no gods anywhere" and not as correct as the atheist that claim 'anything but an Omni dude". Stuck In the middle.

all that being said. Dark matter could just be a gross underestimation of what is there. it's not like we haven't done that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 PM

788 posts, read 512,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nah...not needed either.
You don't need "scientific studies" for evidence.
There are thousands...tens of thousands...of precedent court cases where "eyewitness testimony" and "written records" have been deemed sufficient "evidence" to draw conclusions and make determinations. Even with a persons life on the line of the decision.
Matter of fact...throughout human history it has been the most common and relied on "evidence".
Whoever says you need "scientific studies" to have "evidence" isn't hip to how this world works, and has always worked.
Since it is my OP, I set the rules, that is why. As a long-time employee of LEA's, I (as can any DA or Cop) can tell you the weakest form of evidence is eye-witness testimony. People see in their mind, what they think they are looking at. If at first glace, they think it is John, their mind will see John, even though it is Alex they are looking at.

So I take it you have no evidence.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Nah...not needed either.
You don't need "scientific studies" for evidence.
There are thousands...tens of thousands...of precedent court cases where "eyewitness testimony" and "written records" have been deemed sufficient "evidence" to draw conclusions and make determinations. Even with a persons life on the line of the decision.
Matter of fact...throughout human history it has been the most common and relied on "evidence".
Whoever says you need "scientific studies" to have "evidence" isn't hip to how this world works, and has always worked.
I suspect you aren't willing for a jury to determine your innocence or guilt solely on a person who errantly identified you as a murderous rapist, and would instead insist on scientific evidence of your presence at the scene of the crime. Nor would anyone else, including any reputable judge, prosecutor, or jury. It seems that you are the one who "isn't hit to how this world works".

Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Dark matter could just be a gross underestimation of what is there. it's not like we haven't done that before.
Well after all Dark Matter is a big ?, in the 1930's it was called Missing Mass. Same with Dark Energy...our spectroscopes don't pick it up on it, but we can see the effects of it on the Universe...such as causing the Universe to accelerate in it's expansion against the gravity of the Galaxies contained within the Universe. It behaves as an anti-gravity pressure within the vacuum of space. These are Noble prizes waiting in the wings for someone to grab.

I will let the brilliant Neil DeGrasse Tyson explain it since this is his area of specialty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x6N0uAkTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYZqBG1IDg

Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM

The very wise words.

Quote:
Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

Old 05-17-2016, 06:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I suspect you aren't willing for a jury to determine your innocence or guilt solely on a person who errantly identified you as a murderous rapist, and would instead insist on scientific evidence of your presence at the scene of the crime. Nor would anyone else, including any reputable judge, prosecutor, or jury. It seems that you are the one who "isn't hit to how this world works".
Like I said...many, many, many cases have been determined in whole or in part by "eyewitnesses testimony" evidence and "written records" as evidence. Presented by prosecutors and defenses....and considered AS EVIDENCE by judges and by juries. The millions of cases that have used these as "evidence" are the unequivocal precedent.
That's a fact that it is irrefutable....so I am fully hip to how it goes down in this world.
Strawman arguments won't change how IT REALLY IS. . Your argument is impotent against the facts.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Dark matter could just be a gross underestimation of what is there. it's not like we haven't done that before.
Most people have never even heard of Fritz Zwicky.

Initial Evidence of Dark Matter

Dark Energy and Dark Matter are really code words for our ignorance.

It's ok to not know all of the answers. It's better to admit our ignorance then to believe answers that might be wrong. Pretending to know only closes the door to finding out what's really there.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
::Sigh:: Our reality is comprised of matter and energy 5% of which is of the kind we can investigate and the other 95% we can only see its effects.ALL of our science involves the 5% of our reality. If you investigated and understood 100% of that 5% it would still only be 5% of reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Well after all Dark Matter is a big ?, in the 1930's it was called Missing Mass. Same with Dark Energy...our spectroscopes don't pick it up on it, but we can see the effects of it on the Universe...such as causing the Universe to accelerate in it's expansion against the gravity of the Galaxies contained within the Universe. It behaves as an anti-gravity pressure within the vacuum of space. These are Noble prizes waiting in the wings for someone to grab.
I will let the brilliant Neil DeGrasse Tyson explain it since this is his area of specialty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYZqBG1IDg
Just exactly how does what Neil says in any way refute what I have been saying?? He said exactly the same thing I did.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Just exactly how does what Neil says in any way refute what I have been saying?? He said exactly the same thing I did.
You are talking about our reality. He is talking about the Universe...you know, what's out there in the COSMOS vs. what is here on Earth.

This is where I felt you were confused. You keep talking about our reality here on Earth. He is strictly speaking about the COSMOS...not the reality of our existence on Earth.

He is talking about a pressure that behaves as an anti-gravity pressure within the vacuum of space. This pressure is causing the Universe to accelerate in it's expansion against the gravity of the Galaxies contained within the Universe. That is what he is talking about. I never once heard you make these specifications.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Like I said...many, many, many cases have been determined in whole or in part by "eyewitnesses testimony" evidence and "written records" as evidence. Presented by prosecutors and defenses....and considered AS EVIDENCE by judges and by juries. The millions of cases that have used these as "evidence" are the unequivocal precedent.
That's a fact that it is irrefutable....so I am fully hip to how it goes down in this world.
Strawman arguments won't change how IT REALLY IS. . Your argument is impotent against the facts.
Yes it has convicted many people---and recently science is discovering the problems associated with such. Almost every month a new person, convicted by eyewitness accounts, are being released based on DNA evidence.

"The victim peers across the courtroom, points at a man sitting next to a defense lawyer, and confidently says, "That's him!"

Such moments have a powerful sway on jurors who decide the fate of thousands of people every day in criminal cases. But how reliable is eyewitness testimony? A new report concludes that the use of eyewitness accounts need tighter control, and among its recommendations is a call for a more scientific approach to how eyewitnesses identify suspects during the classic police lineup.

For decades, researchers have been trying to nail down what influences eyewitness testimony and how much confidence to place in it. After a year of sifting through the scientific evidence, a committee of psychologists and criminologists organized by the U.S. National Research Council (NRC) has now gingerly weighed in. "This is a serious issue with major implications for our justice system," says committee member Elizabeth Phelps, a psychologist at New York University in New York City. Their 2 October report, Identifying the Culprit: Assessing Eyewitness Identification, is likely to change the way that criminal cases are prosecuted, says Elizabeth Loftus, a psychologist at the University of California, Irvine, who was an external reviewer of the report."
John Bohannon, Science Magazine, Oct. 3, 2014
---------
On May 12, 2012 NBC News provided the following:

"Eyewitnesses are crucial to a trial, experts say, and their mistakes, whether intentional or not, can have a huge impact.

"The bulk of the evidence that is presented in trials in human testimony. Almost all of the time, energy, and effort is spent hearing people's statement in what occurred at a different place and a different time," Dan Simon, a professor of law and psychology at USC, said. "The bottom line is, people are often inaccurate."

Asking an eyewitness to identify a suspect from a lineup demonstrates this.

"There's a nice study that shows slight variations in the way the lineup is conducted can result in swings of accuracy from as low as 14 percent to as high as 86 percent," Simon said."
-----------
Eyewitnesses frequently miss or mistake critical data--or are led by others to incorrect conclusions. While I am a Jesus follower, I understand that when biblical authors weren't being storytellers, as in the book of Job, or when attributing men's laws to God, as in Leviticus, they may have expanded and "enhanced" the oral stories about Jesus.

Of course, if one sabotages one's own brain to think so-called eyewitnesses then were somehow less than the humans we have now---the Bible becomes perfect---except for the myriad of conflicting thoughts and ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality