Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You should be able to search a few medications that were proved with verified evidence to be beneficial in treating or curing some medical condition, and they were further verified by FDA before the mass production.

But as our knowledge grew, all the presented evidence by the pharmaceutical companies were thrown out of the window, large recalls were made, and huge law suits were filed by the victims.
I'm with you on that one. But that isn't science. That big pharma. My own son was a victim! But realistically, there was negligence or ignorance toward the end of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:16 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well that's a quantum leap. What we do have however, is a total absence of evidence that there is a god of any description.
Not true...the GOD I perceive exists.
You mean "Religious Deities" don't exist...not that "God of any description" doesn't exist.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not true...the GOD I perceive exists.
You mean "Religious Deities" don't exist...not that "God of any description" doesn't exist.
No, I mean the GOD you perceive has no evidence of existence. That does not translate into "does not exist".

Old 05-16-2016, 02:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, I mean the GOD you perceive has no evidence of existence. That does not translate into "does not exist".
I'm a Pantheist. I perceive The Universe (ALL/EVERYTHING) as GOD. One of the most common perceptions of God in the history of mankind.
You believe there is "no evidence of existence" for The Universe (GOD)?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:49 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Problem is that the only church were you went failed to give you evidence of Jesus Holy spirit , which are the miracles of God .....So if you do not go and find a different church which can give you this evidence of Holy spirit , then you will continue to be deceived In your non development in the truth ,........... as if you just look for evidence on this forum you will be over whelmed by the atheism which plagues this place

Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 AM

788 posts, read 512,524 times
Quote:
So you don't even know what exactly faith is?
Believing in the existence of God is a faith (plz look in the dictionary to know the meaning). It's a FREE CHOICE that one makes WITHOUT having any need of an evidence.

There is no convincing required, there is no arguement needed. If you feel the need of God and his guidance in your life, you start looking for the signs of God. You use your intelligence to separate truth from lies.
And you feel what talks to you as the message of God, and you establish the faith in an effort to live a morally good life in the light of God's guidance.

If you do NOT feel the need of God in your life and you believe that the entire universe and everything in it came together by chance, then that's also a FREE CHOICE you made.

Your argument pretty much goes against you when I ask you to provide with with the "verifiable evidence" that you had a great, great grandfather.

To provide this evidence, you will need to find the grave of your biological grandfather, and the grave of his father and then the grave of his father - then you will need to perform a parental DNA testing to establish the lineage. Can you practically do that ?
No you can't!

Leave logic and reason out of it since we are looking for a "verifiable evidence". And since you don't have a verifiable evidence, you can't prove that you had a great grandfather.

You get on a plane to fly accross the pond. Do you have a verifiable evidence that gives you a 100% guarantee that you will reach the destination safely? No! But you do get on the plane.

You watch news every day - there is hardly an incident where you were actually at the ground and saw the incidents unfolding in front of you; however, you choose to believe in the news as to what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, and how ISIS is coming after you, for example.

You get sick and go to a doctor and he precribes you some medication. Do you ask for verifiable evidence from the doctor that it will 100% work for you before you start taking the medication? No, you pop up those pills in your mouth.

Notice, how frequently you make a free choice to use faith every day?
A co-workeronce asked me if I had faith that my pay was going to be deposited in my account by my employer on payday.

I said, NO, I DON"T have faith it is going to me deposited in my account by my employer. NO FAITH Whatsoever.

I went further, to tell him that what I had a reasonable expectation, based on past factual performance, that he would, once again, deposit my pay in my check.

Now you know what faith is, and more importantly, ISN"T.

I take it that you too, have no evidence.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Problem is that the only church were you went failed to give you evidence of Jesus Holy spirit , which are the miracles of God .....So if you do not go and find a different church which can give you this evidence of Holy spirit , then you will continue to be deceived In your non development in the truth ,........... as if you just look for evidence on this forum you will be over whelmed by the atheism which plagues this place
Do you have any idea, and no offense, how stupid it sounds to be talking about holy spirits in 2016? Really, now. Holy spirits!!!!!

I take it you too have no evidence.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
"Absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Yes, it IS evidence. It is NOT proof, but it IS evidence, and the longer the time goes with no evidence, the closer to PROOF it gets.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:12 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
By way of background, I was born Catholic, but in my 20's walked away from all forms of religion and became a non-believer. Why? I just couldn't swallow such fantastic flights of fantasy, and so many disconnects in logic and rationality without at least some substantive, verifiable evidence. I don't believe in Santa Claus, BTW, for the same reasons I don't believe in any god or creator etc., or a "life" after death, re-birth, reincarnation etc., of any type. There simply isn't, in my experience, any evidence whatsoever.

However, I am open to new information, and would ask if anyone has any direct evidence, please present it.

Two basic standards apply:

1. It has to be verifiably true
2. It has to have direct evidentiary value. IOW, it has to speak directly and substantively to the premise that there is, in fact, a god.

BTW, no dogma-as-evidence or anecdotal submissions - only real "stuff" that can be verified.
You're wasting your time here. Faith does not rest upon evidences that can be verified by science. It rests upon the word of God which is Jesus. If you place other things in authority above of the word of God, you will not believe. Suggest you move on. No one will be able to tell you anything that you are seeking here.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our science is limited to investigating less than 5% of our entire reality. The remaining 95+% is comprised of unmeasurable dark energy and dark matter
Dark matter has measurable effects - that's how scientists discovered it. Please, try to keep science out of your woo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality