Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 AM

28,095 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find it interesting that the only time you actually value a religious group is when they endorse sin. So...as long as they agree with you, they're swell.
Nobody is "endorsing sin," Vizio. Both the Rainbow Mormon Initiative and Mormons Building Bridges are endorsing love. There's nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
I would give shelter, food, clothing, anything necessary to a person that needed it, regardless of their lot in life. I honestly don't care -- I would not ask questions.

But I will not participate in a political statement such as this.
You are welcome to not participate. I see no one being forced to, so what is your issue exactly?

Do you dislike the LGBT community that much? So much that you think anyone who wants to help them or bring the issue to the forefront is somehow endorsing the act of homosexuality? I mean, you basically say you would help them, you just wouldn't do it publicly..... That makes no sense whatsoever.

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nobody is "endorsing sin," Vizio. Both the Rainbow Mormon Initiative and Mormons Building Bridges are endorsing love. There's nothing wrong with that.
I see it as a political stunt. The LDS church is still smarting after the Prop 8 backlash and they want to be seen in a good light. They're wetting their fingers and putting them in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

If you want to help people in need, wonderful. I encourage you to volunteer in your community and provide where people need help.

Quote:
I would give shelter, food, clothing, anything necessary to a person that needed it, regardless of their lot in life. I honestly don't care -- I would not ask questions.
Maybe you wouldn't ask questions, but if you knew for a fact that the person who needed something you could provide him was gay, would you still provide it? If the answer is "yes," how would you feel about someone accusing you of "endorsing sin"?

Quote:
But I will not participate in a political statement such as this.
A political statement? This has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Absolutely ZERO.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-26-2016 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Fixed missing quote tag

Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I see it as a political stunt. If you want to help people in need, wonderful. I encourage you to volunteer in your community and provide where people need help.
They are simply making it known that they will help, Vizio. Why do you think this is a bad thing?

Quote:
Maybe you wouldn't ask questions, but if you knew for a fact that the person who needed something you could provide him was gay, would you still provide it? If the answer is "yes," how would you feel about someone accusing you of "endorsing sin"?
The bold, I think, is very important in this conversation. If you would provide help for someone you knew was gay, then you would be doing the very thing you accuse these people of doing. The only difference is that these people are making it known that they can and will help.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
They are simply making it known that they will help, Vizio. Why do you think this is a bad thing?

The bold, I think, is very important in this conversation. If you would provide help for someone you knew was gay, then you would be doing the very thing you accuse these people of doing. The only difference is that these people are making it known that they can and will help.
I have given help to people I knew were gay. But I don't release a press statement to tell the world about how I'm going to have a special day to encourage my congregants to do so.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I have given help to people I knew were gay. But I don't release a press statement to tell the world about how I'm going to have a special day to encourage my congregants to do so.
Again, I think you are misreading the situation. These people are simply making it known that they are willing and able to help. Whereas you will only help if they come to you and ask, which I am guessing not many would based off of your attitude we see here daily.

If something like this could help save a few people (or just help a bunch in general), why do you think it is a bad thing? Honestly, man, why?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
I see it as a political stunt. The LDS church is still smarting after the Prop 8 backlash and they want to be seen in a good light. They're wetting their fingers and putting them in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

If you want to help people in need, wonderful. I encourage you to volunteer in your community and provide where people need help.
I'm just wondering what you would do if you felt your church was endorsing something you personally didn't think was right? Would you keep quiet or would you speak up? As an example, if women weren't allowed leadership roles and you didn't agree how would you handle it? On the flip side what if your church started accepting LGBT or women leaders if you didn't agree? Is there anything going on in your church right now that makes you uncomfortable?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You know, the first year I marched, all the way down to the parade, I kept thinking, "What would my bishop think!?!" By the time the parade was about halfway done, I knew I'd done the right thing. To see hundreds of people standing along the parade route with tears streaming down their cheeks, wanting to hug us and give us high-fives and saying, "Thank you! Thank you! You don't know how much this means to us!" was one of the most heartwarming experiences I've ever had.
Really, that is the most important thing. I think the thing that some people have a problem with understanding, is that showing love and support to someone doesn't necessarily mean you "endorse" their lifestyle. I do not discriminate with who I help. I would even help Vizio if he needed it and I was able, even if he wouldn't help me.

People in the LGBT community, especially somewhere that is very religious, are generally not treated too well, so when they see someone like Mormon's Building Bridges in the parade, I am sure it does make them happy. Not because, as I am sure Viz will think, you are endorsing their lifestyle, but because you have made it known that you are not going to look down on them or treat them differently than anyone else. As it should be.

Quote:
And in an interesting turn of events, I did end up talking to my bishop about my involvement with Mormons Building Bridges. He was 100% supportive of me. Several months later, I learned that his 20-year-old son just recently came out as transgendered. What a lucky kid he is to have such a loving, supportive, non-judgmental dad.
That is definitely a good thing. He may not like the lifestyle his son is living, but as long as he is supportive and loving, especially in tough times, that is no problem. I just don't understand those who see this as a bad thing.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Really, that is the most important thing. I think the thing that some people have a problem with understanding, is that showing love and support to someone doesn't necessarily mean you "endorse" their lifestyle. I do not discriminate with who I help. I would even help Vizio if he needed it and I was able, even if he wouldn't help me.

People in the LGBT community, especially somewhere that is very religious, are generally not treated too well, so when they see someone like Mormon's Building Bridges in the parade, I am sure it does make them happy. Not because, as I am sure Viz will think, you are endorsing their lifestyle, but because you have made it known that you are not going to look down on them or treat them differently than anyone else. As it should be.
Thank you. You have perfectly paraphrased how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality