Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well congrats to Viz for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. An atheist finally has something nice to say about theists, and then he embodies the very reason atheists critique believers. In the same thread.

Nice work!
Yes, God forbid he take it for what it was, which was simply a positive thing coming from a group of religious people. I guess because it is Mormons, and not whatever denomination he is, it just isn't worthy of mentioning.

Not like a pastor handing out water, or fixing a computer, or driving Miss Daisy is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Oh good grief Visio. This thread is about positive religion!
Yea, I guess he just can't deal with positivity coming from the other side.

I am going to make it a point to post some positive things coming from the religious side of things, just to show Vizio that we don't all "hate" religion, or ignore the good things the religious do. I don't normally start many threads, but maybe I will start...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
I knew if anyone would inject a negative statement into this, it would be Vizio or one of the other two.

Nailed that one !

It is sad that Vizio does not have the agape love which is sadly missing from so many so called Christian movements. Part of the problem, obviously. My parents were the same way when they were Baptists. My mom had basically nothing positive to say about anyone or anything. Such is for those who live a life in fear of whatever and self loathing.

As for the OP, Well Done! I know the Mormons took my late aunt in when no one else would, turned her life around.
I wish I had explored more fellowship with them when I was younger and renouncing my ties with the Baptist church. They certainly seemed to offer more to their members than others did at the time. Their works spoke louder than anyone else's preaching.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I knew if anyone would inject a negative statement into this, it would be Vizio or one of the other two.

Nailed that one !

It is sad that Vizio does not have the agape love which is sadly missing from so many so called Christian movements. Part of the problem, obviously. My parents were the same way when they were Baptists. My mom had basically nothing positive to say about anyone or anything. Such is for those who live a life in fear of whatever and self loathing.

As for the OP, Well Done! I know the Mormons took my late aunt in when no one else would, turned her life around.
I wish I had explored more fellowship with them when I was younger and renouncing my ties with the Baptist church. They certainly seemed to offer more to their members than others did at the time. Their works spoke louder than anyone else's preaching.
Yea, I figured it would be him or a few others. So no surprises.

As for the bold, I would agree with that as well. My best friend WAS a Mormon (his sister still is, and in fact, is the one who told me about this), but has since left the faith, but when his wife was pregnant for the first time, the church members helped those 2 out about as much as anyone could have ever helped. They held a "donation day" where members came by and donated whatever they thought they could use, and they even provided a few $$$ to help with Dr. visits. (They didn't have health insurance at the time they found out she was pregnant. They did by the time the baby was born though!)

Only problem I had with it, however, was that they seemed to expect things from them in return. Nothing too much, but they expected them at every church event, they expected them to help out with any events, and things like that. Ultimately, this was what ended up turning him away from the church. He didn't want strings attached, and to feel like he owed them for helping out. He has talked to several of them since then, and they expressed to him that had he told them how he felt, they would have understood and not pushed so much. So who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, Mormons do seem to be nice people, and seem to do their fair share of helping out.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find it interesting that the only time you actually value a religious group is when they endorse sin. So...as long as they agree with you, they're swell.

You're as intolerant as anyone.
Yeah if this had involved any other demographic of people, he would never have noticed. I certainly heard nothing from atheists about how so many churches helped the needy and displaced during hurricane Katrina.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yea, I figured it would be him or a few others. So no surprises.

As for the bold, I would agree with that as well. My best friend WAS a Mormon (his sister still is, and in fact, is the one who told me about this), but has since left the faith, but when his wife was pregnant for the first time, the church members helped those 2 out about as much as anyone could have ever helped. They held a "donation day" where members came by and donated whatever they thought they could use, and they even provided a few $$$ to help with Dr. visits. (They didn't have health insurance at the time they found out she was pregnant. They did by the time the baby was born though!)

Only problem I had with it, however, was that they seemed to expect things from them in return. Nothing too much, but they expected them at every church event, they expected them to help out with any events, and things like that. Ultimately, this was what ended up turning him away from the church. He didn't want strings attached, and to feel like he owed them for helping out. He has talked to several of them since then, and they expressed to him that had he told them how he felt, they would have understood and not pushed so much. So who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, Mormons do seem to be nice people, and seem to do their fair share of helping out.
Yes, people as a whole whether it is a believer or a non-believer do their fair share of helping others but in the end God is the final judgement as He and He only knows the true heart of an individual. We are all sinners and are in need of a Savior.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yeah if this had involved any other demographic of people, he would never have noticed. I certainly heard nothing from atheists about how so many churches helped the needy and displaced during hurricane Katrina.
I found out about this from a Mormon, Jeffie. You may think it is a bad thing to help homosexuals, and wish them to just stay in the closet and live a lie, but others think differently. I am glad that there is a group of Mormons who are saying "No" to hate. Again, you may wish that everyone hated gay people as much as you, but some of us have evolved past that primitive thinking and think people should be treated as equals.

I'm sorry that you look for the bad in every single thing posted by non believers. That must be one sad way to go through life. Not to mention, why would I be talking about Katrina? That happened 11 years ago, and I have certainly not been posting here for that long. I have also never said that churches do not help the needy.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yes, people as a whole whether it is a believer or a non-believer do their fair share of helping others but in the end God is the final judgement as He and He only knows the true heart of an individual. We are all sinners and are in need of a Savior.
Yes, people as a whole do a lot of good things. Christian and atheist alike. I would just like to see more "crossing the aisle", so to speak.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the whole "needing a savior" thing though. I am accountable to myself, and no one else. I do not need a savior, and if your God is so petty as to not see how I live my life, and would instead send me to hell for not bending my knee to him, then so be it. I won't worship a tyrant.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
I found out about this from a Mormon, Jeffie. You may think it is a bad thing to help homosexuals, and wish them to just stay in the closet and live a lie, but others think differently. I am glad that there is a group of Mormons who are saying "No" to hate. Again, you may wish that everyone hated gay people as much as you, but some of us have evolved past that primitive thinking and think people should be treated as equals.
I'll all for helping any of the needy regarding of their demographic. However waving around rainbow flags and banners sure sounds like they are making a statement that they support the gay lifestyle. I don't support sin. That's not hating people. Sad that you refuse to see the difference.

Quote:

I'm sorry that you look for the bad in every single thing posted by non believers. That must be one sad way to go through life. Not to mention, why would I be talking about Katrina? That happened 11 years ago, and I have certainly not been posting here for that long. I have also never said that churches do not help the needy.
I said I never heard atheists talk or praise churches back then, and I doubt they would today if we were in a major natural disaster.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'll all for helping any of the needy regarding of their demographic. However waving around rainbow flags and banners sure sounds like they are making a statement that they support the gay lifestyle. I don't support sin. That's not hating people. Sad that you refuse to see the difference.
Ok, Jeff, as we have all asked Vizio, HOW is supporting them and letting them know you are there if they need you, supporting the gay lifestyle? They are supporting the person, not the lifestyle.

Quote:
I said I never heard atheists talk or praise churches back then, and I doubt they would today if we were in a major natural disaster.
And as I said, I wasn't around here back then. I was, however, in New Orleans helping, along with 20 or so of my classmates. I saw the churches helping, and even joined in with them at times. I know what they did then, and acknowledged it. So please, keep your lies to yourself.

Oh, BTW, these were high school SR's, most of whom are liberal and non religious. So how about YOU stop stereotyping the demographics you hate?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Well, Jeff, Vizio
After being a member of a baptist church in Texas, I quit a week later. I quit after a negative meeting with the pastor. I renounced my membership and left. That was the end of it. (I have since renounced my baptism as well)

THE SECOND COMING OF BILLY WEBER - D Magazine

The pastor, turned out was a sociopath after all. I was right all along.

You know, I went around for years hating all this guy stood for, then one day, I realized that he did me a favor. What if I had stayed and become like him? What if I had become a hateful person like so many at his church? What if I had become a hypocrite, a racist, a homophobe...all because I spent Sundays around those types, falling under their hateful influence?

When I got mad and left, I did myself a favor. I found more positive ways to spend my life. And I do it without the fear and threat of hell, or the need for fellowship with hateful people
As I said, I wished I had known more of the mormons at the time, I would have been there the next week. Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality