Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we non believers are often accused of only seeing the bad things that come from religion, or only the negative stories. Well, I figured I would try to show that this simply isn't true.

Rainbow Mormon Initiative

There is a group of Mormons who are going to show their love and support for the LGBT brothers and sisters on June 5th, by wearing rainbow ribbons to church, and making scarves, hats, and blankets to donate to a local LGBT shelter for homeless kids. This is also the day of the Pride Parade in SLC, and a "fast Sunday", which according to the article is,

"a special Sunday where Mormons go for twenty-four hours without food to experience spiritual closeness to God and to understand the struggles of the poor and needy. It’s also a day when instead of a typical, organized sermon, people are asked to stand and speak contemporaneously, as the spirit moves them."

Also from the article, "She says “it takes one person to stand up for what’s right, and more who agree and have been silently watching stand up with them, too.” The simple act of wearing a rainbow ribbon does make a change for the better. It signals to others that we are safe spaces for those who are in crisis. And although it may seem like all the LGBT+ Mormons have already left, Money says we must think about those who are younger and haven’t come out. Money says, “these kids are looking around at what’s going on right now in our Mormon community, they are watching us, looking for hope, and we are in a position to help them, by something as simple as a ribbon, a sign just like Noah’s that there is indeed hope, and that they have a friend and ally in you. I truly believe it can save lives.”

It is good to see a group of people willing to show support for a group that their church may not show support for. I think this is a sign of progress, even if a small one. Hopefully Katzpur will chime in, since I know she has been part of similar things before, and may be able to clear up any misconceptions anyone may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
I'd wear rainbow ribbons to church on June 5th, but I won't be going to church that day. Here in Salt Lake City, that's the day of the annual Pride Parade, and I will be wearing a rainbow colored dress instead and marching in the parade with my husband, a friend of mine, and her husband with the "Mormons Building Bridges" contingent. I suspect there will probably be more than 400 of us. We have always been very well-accepted with the predominantly (but not totally) LGBT parade-goers. It's a huge parade, the second largest one of the year every year. This will be my fourth years participating (and Mormons Building Bridges' fifth time). It's hard to believe how much difference our support seems to make for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

I'd never heard of the Rainbow Mormon Initiative, but I like it! Thank you for posting this, southernbored.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd wear rainbow ribbons to church on June 5th, but I won't be going to church that day. Here in Salt Lake City, that's the day of the annual Pride Parade, and I will be wearing a rainbow colored dress instead and marching in the parade with my husband, a friend of mine, and her husband with Mormons Building Bridges. I suspect there will probably be more than 400 of us. We have always been very well-accepted with the predominantly (but not totally) LGBT parade-goers. It's a huge parade, the second largest one of the year every year. This will be my fourth years participating (and Mormons Building Bridges' fifth time). It's hard to believe how much difference our support seems to make for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

I'd never heard of the Rainbow Mormon Initiative, but I like it!
Sincerely Katz, that is awesome! I always enjoy seeing the religious (of any religion) standing up for those who need it, and offering love/help to those who need it, regardless of what their particular church may believe in. I also enjoy seeing it from the non religious, but that isn't what the thread is about.

I was actually turned on to this story by a girl I used to date, who is Mormon herself. She lives in Memphis, but will also be taking part in the Rainbow Mormon Initiative, along with several other people.

People like yourself give me hope for the future, Katz. Hopefully things like this will lead to a less strained relationship between religion/the religious, and those of minority status.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I find it interesting that the only time you actually value a religious group is when they endorse sin. So...as long as they agree with you, they're swell.

You're as intolerant as anyone.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find it interesting that the only time you actually value a religious group is when they endorse sin. So...as long as they agree with you, they're swell.

You're as intolerant as anyone.
I think you are misunderstanding Vizio. It isn't that they "endorse sin", it is that they show love and support to those who would otherwise be marginalized or looked down upon. You do realize that you can do those things without "endorsing" their activities, right?

Did you read the article? If you didn't, I suggest you do so, instead of jumping to conclusions. If you did, then I suggest you read it again, as they clearly aren't saying "Homosexuality is great!" or anything like that. They are simply showing that they are there if needed, and they aren't going to look down on you if you happen to be gay.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd wear rainbow ribbons to church on June 5th, but I won't be going to church that day. Here in Salt Lake City, that's the day of the annual Pride Parade, and I will be wearing a rainbow colored dress instead and marching in the parade with my husband, a friend of mine, and her husband with the "Mormons Building Bridges" contingent. I suspect there will probably be more than 400 of us. We have always been very well-accepted with the predominantly (but not totally) LGBT parade-goers. It's a huge parade, the second largest one of the year every year. This will be my fourth years participating (and Mormons Building Bridges' fifth time). It's hard to believe how much difference our support seems to make for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

I'd never heard of the Rainbow Mormon Initiative, but I like it! Thank you for posting this, southernbored.
I wish you good weather and a happy day.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I think you are misunderstanding Vizio. It isn't that they "endorse sin", it is that they show love and support to those who would otherwise be marginalized or looked down upon. You do realize that you can do those things without "endorsing" their activities, right?

Did you read the article? If you didn't, I suggest you do so, instead of jumping to conclusions. If you did, then I suggest you read it again, as they clearly aren't saying "Homosexuality is great!" or anything like that. They are simply showing that they are there if needed, and they aren't going to look down on you if you happen to be gay.
I think I understand the sentiments exactly.

No one wants to mistreat anyone. But to suggest that a sin is ok and I will enable or help one to persist in that sin is a slap in the face to God.

Read the book of Acts. Did you see the Apostles traveling around and simply affirming people worshiping false gods or participating in sinful activity? Or did they call them out of their sin and to Jesus?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:

No one wants to mistreat anyone. But to suggest that a sin is ok and I will enable or help one to persist in that sin is a slap in the face to God.
Only the cartoon godling you worship.

Good on some Mormons for doing the right thing.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Read the book of Acts. Did you see the Apostles traveling around and simply affirming people worshiping false gods or participating in sinful activity? Or did they call them out of their sin and to Jesus?
So you think helping someone, or providing comfort to someone, etc, is a slap in the face of God if they are gay? And you call yourself a Christian? I am pretty sure your very own Jesus would not approve of that, Viz.

I will refer to the article again.

"It is an attempt to show love to the most neglected and mistreated members of our church, as Christ showed love to the most reviled of sinners, ate with publicans and prostitutes, because he knew that all of us are sinners and all of us need the Atonement. Rainbow Mormons are those who love LGBT+ people in our own lives and want to show that we are allies and can be called on for support by those who are afraid to come out within the Mormon church and to those who have been rejected by family, and have fled or been forced out of their homes as a result of their sexual orientation."

So you honestly believe that by doing the things above, along with donating clothing, blankets, etc, to a homeless shelter for LGBT teens is a slap in the face to God? Nowhere in there do they say anything about enabling sin, or endorsing sin. They want to help the PEOPLE, Viz. I just don't understand how a Christian pastor would think this is a bad thing. It baffles me, truly.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So you think helping someone, or providing comfort to someone, etc, is a slap in the face of God if they are gay? And you call yourself a Christian? I am pretty sure your very own Jesus would not approve of that, Viz.
I would give shelter, food, clothing, anything necessary to a person that needed it, regardless of their lot in life. I honestly don't care -- I would not ask questions.

But I will not participate in a political statement such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality