Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

TexasNick wrote:
Quote:
Major new study shows that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found and has written about it in his new book, Who Really Cares.
There appears to be a little controversy over this "major new study". Here's a brief comment from the internet:
Quote:
On the whole, I think that Who Really Cares is a valuable book with much sound analysis, but it appears that some of its main conclusions are based on the 2000 Social Capital Community Benchmark Survey, some of whose demographics don't appear to match national representative samples such as the GSS and ANES. And in Brooks's book, sometimes liberals are accused of being ungenerous when it appears that they may be more generous than political moderates. Generally, his otherwise strong analysis is weakened by focusing too little on what I have called the forgotten middle: moderates
Whenever we get into statistics and classifying people according to political views there's alot of wiggle room. I don't think I would take a report like this and accept it at face value, it's much more complex and people generally don't fall neatly into categories that can be directly placed into columns and charts. I know that simplistic idea is appealing to book publishers and many readers but it's obvious that data is being manipulated to promote a particular point of view and is more of a marketing tool for the author and publisher than a factual representation of how American liberals or conservatives really donate money to worthy causes.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So give me a story about how you or people of non-Christian faith have you know help and prove me wrong!!
When I was stationed in Japan (I think it was 2003??) a massive typhoon hit the island of Guam. Our unit was tasked with finding volunteers willing to go and drop relief supplies and equipment to people who lost everything there. I volunteered. The two week trip was hell. We lived in the back of our airplane for two weeks getting bitten by mosquitos every night. We worked 16-18 hours a day preparing stuff to drop on the island, getting ready to launch the airplanes out, and flying with them to make sure nothing went wrong. We worked our butts off and it was strictly a volunteer basis. Whether Christian, Atheist, Hindu, or Buddhist, we were all doing it for an independent secular cause. The only label attached was that of the U.S. military and there was really no avoiding that. We weren't doing it to show off our military might (Guam is a U.S. Territory). We were just doing it to help people out.

The same thing happened when the Phillipines had a large landslide that killed thousands. After I left that unit, the tsunami in Asia hit about a year later and on a mostly volunteer basis people went to Thailand to help out. There was no "spreading the faith" involved. It was strictly who wanted to volunteer time away from home in bad living conditions to help others out.

Although I was part of a "greater" organization I didn't volunteer because of that. I volunteered because it was the right thing to do and, I imagine, that's why everyone else volunteered. Although some may have felt it was their "Christian duty" to do so, the premise behind it was quite secular.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I mentioned in one of my posts that I have donated money before. Like b.frank said, you only hear what you want to. And nobody is getting defensive. You're assuming again with no reason to.
I'm sorry the only one I could find was were you said you would if you could and then you went off about religion. I would like for us to be able to discuss this without all the negativeness. Please show me that you are kind hearted too.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey guys, this is a timely topic. Major new study shows that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found and has written about it in his new book, Who Really Cares. Of course I wont' post the Amazon link here since the mods will delete it, but do a search for it and you'll find it.

Well, At least I know I'm not off track. THANKS for stepping in, I wasn't trying to put anyone down. Just asking what I guess has already been written. I should have thought of that book!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
When I was stationed in Japan (I think it was 2003??) a massive typhoon hit the island of Guam. Our unit was tasked with finding volunteers willing to go and drop relief supplies and equipment to people who lost everything there. I volunteered. The two week trip was hell. We lived in the back of our airplane for two weeks getting bitten by mosquitos every night. We worked 16-18 hours a day preparing stuff to drop on the island, getting ready to launch the airplanes out, and flying with them to make sure nothing went wrong. We worked our butts off and it was strictly a volunteer basis. Whether Christian, Atheist, Hindu, or Buddhist, we were all doing it for an independent secular cause. The only label attached was that of the U.S. military and there was really no avoiding that. We weren't doing it to show off our military might (Guam is a U.S. Territory). We were just doing it to help people out.

The same thing happened when the Phillipines had a large landslide that killed thousands. After I left that unit, the tsunami in Asia hit about a year later and on a mostly volunteer basis people went to Thailand to help out. There was no "spreading the faith" involved. It was strictly who wanted to volunteer time away from home in bad living conditions to help others out.

Although I was part of a "greater" organization I didn't volunteer because of that. I volunteered because it was the right thing to do and, I imagine, that's why everyone else volunteered. Although some may have felt it was their "Christian duty" to do so, the premise behind it was quite secular.
Thanks, Troop very interesting story and it shows we can work together and get things done without being afraid your going to be converted. I guess I just don't understand the Christian fear. I didn't even experience all the negativeness people portray when I wasn't Christian. I would like to think people do things out of love thy neighbor, more then points for Heaven.

This is what I was looking for thanks, Troop for stepping up with your story!!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
That's what I'm asking!! Your the winner!! I really was wondering, I was not baiting people. Do people of other faiths and Atheists feel the need to donate time or money to organizations.

Like one poster said these organizations were not run by Christians, so I was wondering if the Atheists and other people of faith on here donate time or money. I wonder what the percentage of people donate their time and money without thinking Religion first.

Thanks for your reply.
And yet again you totally ignored the numerous links which I posted, which don't even begin to scratch the surface of non-Christian and secular charitable organizations. The American Red Cross is a great organization but far from the only one.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Of course Christian charities do a lot of good. But this does not in any way negate all the good Atheists do either.

Atheists are not a cohesive group , we do not attend meetings with the purpose of debating the fact we do not believe in God. Therefore as a non-organised group of individuals we do not have the collective power large organisations such as churches have.

It's just plain logic and common sense. On the other hand Atheists do give to charities ( Christian and secular ones) as much as Christians do in my personal experience and donate time and effort to help in the community and third world.

Many organisations such as Amnesty International, and Medecins sans Frontieres are non religious organisations , yet they achieve amazing things.
VSO in the UK ( the volunteer service organisation, the equivalent of the Peace Corps) sends people all over the world to help.

I spent 3 months with Medecins sans Frontieres in the 80s and most os us were atheists. They were all incredibly brave, hard working and selfless people. All that without God.

I volunteer for "Amnesty International" and "Greenpeace" as well as "Survival" ( for indigenous people's rights around the world) and "Shelter"( for the Homeless) as well as many charities.

My partner and I sponsor a little girl in Cameroon, give monthly to water-aid, sight savers and other organisations such as population control.

Most are not led by Christians and I am still quite happy to help with those who are.

Atheists are as generous in my experience. The difference is most Christians have an agenda such as converting people to their beliefs or doing good deeds in the name of and to the glory of god.

Most atheists do it just because it's the right thing to do. Quietly , without any big title attached to it. No atheist would dream of calling their charity "atheist aid" .

I think also we should not forget how much more churches could do if they really wanted to fight poverty and famine. The Catholic church for example is one of the richest organisations in the world. The Vatican alone is enough to save all the world's poor and hungry.

Yet most Christians still believe building churches and accumulating assets and investments is better than actually spending ALL their receipts on the poor, needy and vulnerable.

Churches also have a huge amount of political power and yet little useful political lobbying seems to be done. They have so much influence and most of it is squandered on their own agenda.

To that demonstrates a certain lack of awareness at best and will at worse as to what is required.

The money sent to the third world is indeed a huge benefit but imagine how much more it could be if we truly tried to strip the churches bare . God needs no churches, no riches, no gold, no art treasures, no investments. I thought god needed faith and precious little else.

I agree with the article below and thought I would post it.

Why Are There No Atheist Charities? Christi Habrock (Forum) (6-99)

Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I don't quite understand. I plainly listed a link the the American Red Cross. They aren't Christian. They do work here.. and abroad. So if I give money to them.. I'm ultimately helping here and abroad.
Yea forget that whole "cross" thing. Perhaps they are secular now, but the organization was started as a Christian based operation to bring relief to those suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Atheist doesn't automatically equal liberal.
I don't think he said "atheist". He said "liberal" and going by the facts (Whether you or I agree or disagree with it) more liberals are anti-religous than conservatives from that we can extrapolate the possibility that a "religous" mindset may drive said charity . It's just simply in the data.

Who do you think is a more "liberal" giver. Al Gore or Dick Cheney?

If most of you are being honest with yourself, you would say "Al Gore." I mean it's uncle Al out saving the world we are talking about right?
In one of the largest sums ever donated to charity by a U.S. public official, Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife Lynne gave away nearly $7 million last year to help the poor and to medical research.

According to income tax information released by the White House on Friday, the Cheneys' adjusted gross income in 2005 was $8,819,006.

The sum was largely the result of Mr. Cheney's stock options from Halliburton and royalties from three books written by Mrs. Cheney.

The Cheneys gave more than three-quarters (75%) of their income - $6,869,655 - to several charities, including George Washington University's Cardiothoracic Institute and a charity for low-income high school students in the Washington, D.C. area, Capital Partners for Education.

...In 1999, the Clintons gave away 9.4% of their income, while the Gores gave 5.1%. Two years earlier, however, the former vice president's giving had earned some special attention. In 1997, the Gores only gave away $353 of their income of $197,729, or 0.18%.

Those nasty conservatives always out for bigger salaries and tax breaks for the rich! But I digress...

Moderator cut: orphaned-the post you quoted here has been removed

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-22-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TexasNick wrote:

There appears to be a little controversy over this "major new study". Here's a brief comment from the internet:

Whenever we get into statistics and classifying people according to political views there's alot of wiggle room. I don't think I would take a report like this and accept it at face value, it's much more complex and people generally don't fall neatly into categories that can be directly placed into columns and charts. I know that simplistic idea is appealing to book publishers and many readers but it's obvious that data is being manipulated to promote a particular point of view and is more of a marketing tool for the author and publisher than a factual representation of how American liberals or conservatives really donate money to worthy causes.
Montana, whats the link for your source?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
And yet again you totally ignored the numerous links which I posted, which don't even begin to scratch the surface of non-Christian and secular charitable organizations. The American Red Cross is a great organization but far from the only one.
I didn't ignore them. Do you have a story about these? Do you help them donate to them? Do you step out in the cold and help at any of these people in there unfortunate ways? I wasn't asking for Atheist organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality