Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I didn't ignore them. Do you have a story about these? Do you help them donate to them? Do you step out in the cold and help at any of these people in there unfortunate ways? I wasn't asking for Atheist organizations.
You asked for non-Christian representations of charity. Last time I checked, atheists fell into that category. Plus, you didn't look at them all if you think they're all atheist organizations. I gave you a Jewish one, and a Buddhist one, and a couple of really good secular organizations too, not just an atheist one.

As far as helping, that's really nobody's business what I do -- I don't believe in bragging about charitable works, because then you're not doing it for charity, you're doing it for attention. You'll just have to be happy with my assurance that yes, I do have certain organizations that I help either financially or directly. Not only that, but three are listed as beneficiaries in my will. Happy now?

Last edited by RoaminRed; 02-22-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added stuff..

Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You asked for non-Christian representations of charity. Last time I checked, atheists fell into that category. Plus, you didn't look at them all if you think they're all atheist organizations. I gave you a Jewish one, and a Buddhist one, and a couple of really good secular organizations too, not just an atheist one.
This was not my QUESTION!!!
Quote:
As far as helping, that's really nobody's business what I do -- I don't believe in bragging about charitable works, because then you're not doing it for charity, you're doing it for attention. You'll just have to be happy with my assurance that yes, I do have certain organizations that I help either financially or directly. Not only that, but three are listed as beneficiaries in my will. Happy now?
I"m not sure why you think I what'd to know your business??? This was a FREEDOM of CHOICE to come in and answer. Are you sure you just didn't see RED when you read my post? I was actually, trying to give you people a platform to show the good you do and all I'm getting is attacked.

This is silly arguing about nothing, I NEVER said Atheist and other faiths didn't give. I was curious as to what is important, you don't HAVE to answer me. I did look at the organizations, but I was looking for stories and the only one I have gotten so far was from GCSTROOP, the rest of you are just MAD about WHAT!!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Unbelief is primarly a pessimistic mindset, and belief is primarily an optimistic mindset. You can see the initial reactions/replies to a fairly benign question bringing this out in the open.

Maybe you should repost your question and tell everyone to stop for a minute and see the forest through the trees.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Texas Nick,
This is the link that you requested regarding the Arthur Brooks book:
The Volokh Conspiracy - Concerns About Arthur Brooks's "Who Really Cares."--
I just did a google search because I wasn't familiar with this individual and found these comments which I just copied a portion of. I still stand by my point that the political ideaology of individuals can't be defined so clearly that we can put them into a single group and then calculate how much they donate to one cause or another. It's just not as simple as it sounds and I'm always leary of anyone who attempts to make broad statements like Brooks is doing.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Unbelief is primarly a pessimistic mindset, and belief is primarily an optimistic mindset. You can see the initial reactions/replies to a fairly benign question bringing this out in the open.

Maybe you should repost your question and tell everyone to stop for a minute and see the forest through the trees.
Wow, just wow. I'd like to think I'm pretty optimistic. I don't need a belief in a deity for that. You're just throwing out an old assumption with nothing to show that backs it up.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
This was not my QUESTION!!!
Most certainly, it was. You said in your original post:

Quote:
I'm just wondering, do just as many non-Christians feel the need to step up and help the less fortunate, here in the U.S. or go to another country and aid the people.
Which is asking to show representations of non-Christians doing charitable works. Which I certainly did.

Quote:
I"m not sure why you think I what'd to know your business??? This was a FREEDOM of CHOICE to come in and answer.
Because you also asked me for examples of charity work that I personally do. I don't think that's anyone's business, because if you're bragging about your charity work, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Are you sure you just didn't see RED when you read my post? I was actually, trying to give you people a platform to show the good you do and all I'm getting is attacked.
Look at my first two responses to you. Cordial, logical, informative. You're the one that became aggressive, as evidenced by this very quote. You've also jumped on a couple other people in here. I had assumed up to this point that it was due to some sort of language barrier, because it appears as if English is not your first language, so I was cutting you some slack by not mentioning it.

Quote:
This is silly arguing about nothing, I NEVER said Atheist and other faiths didn't give. I was curious as to what is important, you don't HAVE to answer me. I did look at the organizations, but I was looking for stories and the only one I have gotten so far was from GCSTROOP, the rest of you are just MAD about WHAT!!!!!
We're mad? When? Where? You're the only one going off on a rant here. Take the blue pill and it will all go away.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Wow, just wow. I'd like to think I'm pretty optimistic. I don't need a belief in a deity for that. You're just throwing out an old assumption with nothing to show that backs it up.
Yea, wow is a good term to use when the basics of our language are not understood.

I'll be as simple as possible.

Unbelief says "no it does not" Belief says "yes it does".

No is pessimistic in nature. Yes is optimistic in nature.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:

Delusion is not optimism. Realism is not pessimism.
Atheism has nothing to do with pessimism. I am an idealist and also often a pessimist BECAUSE I am too often a realist.
Atheists come in all different shades, optimist, pessimist, we are all different and individual. Our lack of belief does not make us a cohesive group. We dare to think for ourselves and make of life what we all see in it.
Our life experiences are all different and as such our personalities are too. Go figure.

I am a pessimist because of my life's experience, yet I still dare to dream of better things to come. Without a deity involved. My faith is in Humanity not some made-up creature from an over fertile imagination.

I don't rely on fairy-tales to keep me happy. I look at life for what it is . Not for what I hope it will be one day when I die.

Life is now. Not in some distant nebulous time in a place of your god's choosing.

Please do not attribute personality traits to people simply because they don't share your spiritual leanings or religious values.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
There is bad in all organzations. There is more to the Christian world then the Catholics. No offense, but I'm really suprised at how much of a spokeperson the Catholic faith is for ALL Christians.
That's because all other Christian sects are off shoots of the Catholic Church.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Yea, wow is a good term to use when the basics of our language are not understood.

I'll be as simple as possible.

Unbelief says "no it does not" Belief says "yes it does".

No is pessimistic in nature. Yes is optimistic in nature.
No pessimism is a negative view of the world. Optimism is a positive one. I have a positive view of the world, which makes me optimistic. You should learn the correct definitions before you throw out assumptions like that.

A positive atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality