Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
The Holy Quran is 1400 years old.
was it known 1400 years ago as we climb higher there is less oxygen?

yes, we climb higher, its harder to breath ... that's what they knew. They knew that for 10000 or more. so you are just making stuff. just like your percent oxygen numbers.

Its a shame, I know there is no free will, but wow, some of us have far less than others. I guess that's why you, and other mill/fundy mentals need violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
My understanding is:

At the top of Mount Everest, the percentage of oxygen in the air is the same as that at sea level (about 20% oxygen). However, atmospheric pressure decreases as altitude increases, and the atmospheric pressure at the summit of Everest is 33% that of sea level. Therefore, there is 66% less oxygen than there is at sea level.

Therefore, the oxygen level is approximately 7% at Everest not 33%.

So this comment by truth teller is WRONG!

'Mount Everest، is about 9 thousands meters high but it still contains about 33% of oxygen'

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 10-08-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
The Holy Quran is 1400 years old.
was it known 1400 years ago as we climb higher there is less oxygen?
The two images from this post contradict each other:

One has 20.9% oxygen at sea level and the other has 100%, one has 6.9% at Everest and the other has 33%

Someone needs to get their facts and math straight.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
So the figure of 33% is reasonable to say but that figure is not expressed in the Quran. Only the fact that breathing becomes laboured at higher altitude while exerting. The Quran is only stating a known fact. No devine revelation.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
My understanding is:

At the top of Mount Everest, the percentage of oxygen in the air is the same as that at sea level (about 20% oxygen). However, atmospheric pressure decreases as altitude increases, and the atmospheric pressure at the summit of Everest is 33% that of sea level. Therefore, there is 66% less oxygen than there is at sea level.

'Mount Everest، is about 9 thousands meters high but it still contains about 33% of oxygen'
Thanks for that. To be fair, TT probably took the 33% percent at face value, and while I was surprised, I accepted it too (it's always good to check ). It didn't matter, because the symptoms clambering up much lower slopes would be a good enough explanation, so we don't need the science of high altitude peaks.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thanks for that. To be fair, TT probably took the 33% percent at face value, and while I was surprised, I accepted it too (it's always good to check ). It didn't matter, because the symptoms clambering up much lower slopes would be a good enough explanation, so we don't need the science of high altitude peaks.
Yes, none of these points matter in regard to the fact that mere experience in climbing in altitude will restrict ones breathing and cause one to breath more heavily to get more oxygen into the lungs and thus into the blood stream. Any conscious person would be aware of this experience without any need for revelation from a god.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
My understanding is:

TY for the info.

The point is. people knew long before 1400 years ago that when you climb mountains you get out of breath faster. The claim that a stone person saw an angel and was that angel first to tell humans about losing our breath as we go higher in altitude is foolish.

Nobody in there right mind would believe that. It amazes me how people incorrectly think intelligence, as we measure it, precludes us from insanity, when in fact, the brain doesn't function well out of its design parameters, either too high or too low.

the middle of the roads need to unite under relentless common sense.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:

Quote:
The two images from this post contradict each other:

One has 20.9% oxygen at sea level and the other has 100%, one has 6.9% at Everest and the other has 33%

Someone needs to get their facts and math straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
TT probably took the 33% percent at face value, .
The Air has 20.9% oxygen at sea level
and has 6.9% at Everest and that equal 33% of available oxygen at sea level
divide 6.9 by 20.9 you will get 33%.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
The Air has 20.9% oxygen at sea level
and has 6.9% at Everest and that equal 33% of available oxygen at sea level
divide 6.9 by 20.9 you will get 33%.
Don't confuse Air with Oxygen content.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:

[/b][/i]Therefore, the oxygen level is approximately 7% at Everest not 33%.

[/font]So this comment by truth teller is WRONG!
Actually...he's quite correct.

At 8900 m (the height of Everest's summit), the standard barometric pressure is 33 kPa. Inspirational oxygen is, indeed, 33% of that available at sea level.

Altitude.org | Altitude air pressure calculator

http://www.vmeverest09.com/oxygen-at-altitude/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality