Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
you do not believe in Allah so it is expected from you and from similar persons that they will not believe the supernatural events and there are many supernatural events.

Allah inspired the whale to swallow Yunus (Jonah) without scratching his meat, or break his bones .
And, verily, Yunus (Jonah) was one of the Messengers.
When he ran to the laden ship:
Then he (agreed to) cast lots, and he was among the losers.
Then a (big) fish swallowed him as he had done an act worthy of blame.
Had he not been of them who glorify Allah,
He would have indeed remained inside its belly (the fish) till the Day of Resurrection.
But We cast him forth on the naked shore while he was sick,
And We caused a plant of gourd to grow over him. The Holy Quran.

The same problem arises as with the Bible -claims. Both claim advanced science knowledge. Not only do these turn out to be what was known (I should have known that the Chinese knew how many bones there were) and thet the advanced science turns out to be nothing to do with it at all, like the 'knocking star' which does not 'knock' but just sounds like that through a particular kind of radio telemetry, and of course the Killer, that salt and fresh water do niot mix, which is quite false.

The Bible gets wrong for example the explanation of sheep colouratioin. And we say 'if it can't be trusted on mundane matters, why should we trust it on miracles?' The same applies to the Quran.

Omega hasn't come back on the Jonah evidence. I seem to recall a claim that a man was found in a whale's belly (or it may have been a shark' and was found when it was cut open, and his skin and hair had been bleached white. I also recall reading some doubts about this tale. I'll have a look.

The story as reported is that during a whaling expedition off the Falkland Islands, Bartley's boat was attacked by the whale and he landed inside the whale´s mouth. He survived the ordeal and was carved out of the stomach by his peers when they, not knowing he was inside, caught and began skinning the whale because of the hot weather which would have rotted the whale meat. It was said that he was in the whale for 36 hours and it was also said that his skin had been bleached by the gastric juices, and that he was blind the rest of his life. He was, however, supposed to have returned to work within three weeks in some accounts. He died 18 years later and his tombstone in Gloucester says "James Bartley- a modern day Jonah."[4][5]
In 1896, an article named "A Modern Jonah Proves his Story." was published in the New York World quoted a brief portion of this story, as told by Rev. William Justin Harsha, along with some initial observations.[6] This was followed about a week later by another article that briefly summarised some responses from readers,[7] followed by a third article by William L. Stone, who related a similar story involving a massive "man-eating shark".[8][9]
The French scientist De Parville published a report of the alleged incident in the Paris Journal des Débats in 1914.[2]
Investigations

More recently, the facts were carefully investigated by historian Edward Davis, who pointed out many inconsistencies. The ship in the story is The Star of the East; a British ship by the same name existed and sailed during the time in which the incident allegedly occurred and could have been near the Falklands at the right time, but the real Star of the East was not a whaling vessel and its crew list did not include a "James Bartley".[2] Moreover, Mrs. John Killam, the wife of the Captain, wrote a letter stating that "there is not one word of truth in the whale story. I was with my husband all the years he was in the Star of the East. There was never a man lost overboard while my husband was in her. The sailor has told a great sea yarn." Davis suggested that the story may have been inspired by the "Gorleston whale", a 30-foot rorqual killed near Great Yarmouth shortly before in June 1891 that generated a lot of publicity.[10]
While the veracity of the story is in question, it is physically possible for a sperm whale to swallow a human whole, as they have been known to swallow giant squid whole (Wiki)

Since a whale is a mammal and not a fish, some have been bothered by this, and made it a 'Whale shark' but they, while big, are like the bigger whales, plankton eaters. The Toothed sperm whale is really the only contender here.

The Jonah story suffers from the same problem as Noah's Ark - you need some magic to really make it work, and if you are going to do magic, you don't need the event.

There was a 2016 story of a man swallowed by a whale, was 'flushed out' and returned to work 3 days later. This was a known spoof from the start.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-27-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
....snip...

Omega hasn't come back on the Jonah evidence. I seem to recall a claim that a man was found in a whale's belly (or it may have been a shark' and was found when it was cut open, and his skin and hair had been bleached white. I also recall reading some doubts about this tale. I'll have a look.
Haven't cleaned too many fish, have you, Arq?

There will never be Jonah evidence.

And if a man was in any kind of fish's or whale's belly for more than an hour or so, he wouldn't have much skin left to turn colours. Hair might take longer to start dissolving, though. But not much longer. I've cleaned many a fish with a smaller, partially digested critter in its belly. It doesn't take more than a few hours to break down scales and spines. Skin would start dissolving nearly instantly in those stomach acids.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

And if a man was in any kind of fish's or whale's belly for more than an hour or so, he wouldn't have much skin left to turn colours. Hair might take longer to start dissolving, though. But not much longer. I've cleaned many a fish with a smaller, partially digested critter in its belly. It doesn't take more than a few hours to break down scales and spines. Skin would start dissolving nearly instantly in those stomach acids.
That's a good point. I will confess that I wish I liked fish more than I do, and that's cleaned fish. Mrs Arq loved fish and I was always cleaning the things ..scales going everywhere. The place was like a Hebridean herring -hut. And I always seemed end up with a stack on fishbones on my plate and spent so much time trying not to swallow one, I hardly noticed what I was eating.

So it's back to chicken fillets for me.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

That covers the skin bleaching problem but what about life? The man would have drowned in a minute or two. The article said 36 hrs? I also don't see a sperm whale swallowing a man without killing him in the process.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That covers the skin bleaching problem but what about life? The man would have drowned in a minute or two. The article said 36 hrs? I also don't see a sperm whale swallowing a man without killing him in the process.
I'm rather reminded of the Apologis for the Shekel -eating fish. It was in an early 20th c book about treading in jesus' footsteps. He got a look at the fish of lake Galilee and saw that a shekel would fit in the mouth of the fish. Proof positive! The associated improbabilities of the story never came into the argument.

So a man can fit in a whale's stomach. Story proven! Incidentally, TT's reference to the Quran as endorsing an OT tale that really can't be true is strong evidence that the Quran can't be true, either. This is why I say that if the Bible goes down the tube, it takes Islam with it as well. And that's why I have no interest (much) in discussing the Quran.

And...yes, I gotta post it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfws7_Ezsiw

Old 09-28-2017, 05:08 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Goggle "man swallowed by a whale" and you will find it actually happened.
That's what I DID ...

Where do you think I got the silly quote by his wife from? Yes, it is silly. I really don't care if you feel the same way.

Quote:
You believe one cell is the origin of all life we have today. You believe the leg of a small land animal became the fin of a big sea creature and it nose became a blowhole. You believe that with no evidence. What is more ridiculous what I believe, and it actually happened and what you belieie that is genetically impossible
I believe in what science has proven. Why?

Because religion has NEVER been right about ANYTHING.

Please, by all means, show me just ONE fact about the universe that the scientific community says can only be the result of a god. Show me just ONE religious explanation for our universe where science had to admit defeat and say, "Well, we give up. It must be the result of a god, magic, wands, fairies, Harry Potter, eye of newt, bubbling cauldrons, Abracadabra, and rabbits in hats."

I find it foolish that I'm even HAVING this discussion with someone in the 21st Century -- that science STILL has to defend itself against primitive superstition, that ancient Bronze Age myths can still win out over libraries of scientific evidence.

But hey, if you want to keep betting on a horse that hasn't won a race in the past 200,000 years, go right ahead. What I DO know is that evolution-deniers will be the same laughing stock flat earthers and geocentrists are today. Science has thus far won every battle. Sure, there are still things science doesn't know ... but so what?

Just 80 years ago, we didn't even know there were other galaxies. What should we have done when the first galaxy was discovered? Should we have said, "But wait, we already know everything, don't we? So that can't be another galaxy outside of our own. So let's gouge out our eyes and pretend we never saw that other galaxy!"

Because that's what you're doing. You're essentially saying that we know everything there is to know. It's simply impossible that science doesn't yet know something -- like the origin of life. Therefore, we'll just do what humans have been doing (incorrectly) for thousands of years: claim "god" did it.

Quote:
Don't complain to me. Complain to the one who wrote the account of it happening.
No, Omega. I'm going to complain to you. Why? Because you BELIEVE it.

Quote:
And you are drinking from a 100 gallon drum that is laced with non-scientific poison.
Err ... you're going to have to be more clear.

Quote:
It is not a coincidence at all. God planned it that way.
LOL! It's a good thing I wasn't drinking from that "100 gallon drum that is laced with non-scientific poison" when I read that part of your post. I would have spit it all out in a fit of laughter.

"God planned it that way."

*snicker*

Let me guess. You probably fall for every image of Jesus on a piece of toast or every claim that a statue of Jesus in some remote Brazilian church is crying blood. Right? Wait! Don't tell me! Were YOU the person who spent $20,000 on a 3-day old piece of pizza that had a pepperoni slice that looked like the Virgin Mary as a topping?

If you're going to believe that ridiculous and UNSUBSTANTIATED story of a guy who CLAIMS with no witnesses that he spent 3 days inside of a whale -- a creature that eats brine shrimp and plankton, I might add -- then you may as well go the full nine yards and believe all the rest of the dumb "miracle" stories out there.

Oh, by the way, I have some awesome oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you ... at a bottom-dollar price!

Quote:
What you need to do is prove it is silly. Why should I believe anything you say?
No, no ... the question should be: Why should I believe anything YOU say? Or anything your religion says?

Plus, I don't have to prove to you that the wife's quote was silly. I think it was silly. I stand behind that. If you disagree, well, unlike a certain Christian governor in Alabama, I actually respect your right to disagree. But I don't have to prove to you that it was silly any more than I have to explain to you why I like the music that I do ... or why my favorite food is what it is ... or anything else of similar subjectivity.

Quote:
So far all you have done is whine about what i believe.
No, Omega, I've written very substantial posts (which is more than I can say for YOUR posts) explaining in great detail why I think your beliefs are bunk.

Of course ... you would simply see that as "whining" and refuse to actually engage in any meaningful dialogue. Instead, you regurgitate a few repetitive apologist cliches and ignore 95% of the things I've said.

Not very intellectually honest of you, now ... is it.

Quote:
Now it is time for you with your great knowlegde to explain how the universe came into beinq and how a single cell was the mommy and daddy of all the life we have today.
See, this is what I mean about apologist cliches.

That kind of response is something from amateur hour.

And I've been around the block waaaaaaaay too many times to fall for that kind of trap.

First of all, you can't say "I'm correct by default and unless you can prove me wrong, my religion is 100% true." Nope, nope, no. That is a dishonest tactic. DISHONEST. So much for those vaunted Christian morals, I guess.

Secondly, I'm not going to sit here and explain to you the entire concept of evolution to you when there are plenty of websites to read and videos to watch on that subject -- with people who can explain it better than I can.

NOT THAT IT WOULD MATTER, mind you, because you're not going to believe it, anyway. Which is why I wouldn't waste my time typing a single word teaching you about the "mommy and daddy" cell of all life.

You prefer to live in a benighted world of ancient superstitions -- the same superstitions that the REST of the enlightened world have put behind them decades ago -- and if willful ignorance is really what you want for yourself, hey, be my guest.

But as long as your posting on THIS forum, expect to be challenged. And if all you can do is post assertions and then tell everyone else to prove you wrong or else you're right by default, you're not going to get very far

At all. Eventually people will just ignore you.

Quote:
That is because until you can prove your default position is a better explanation, it is still valid.
Actually, the "you just don't understand it" argument is not a valid argument. It's AVOIDING the argument altogether.

IF I don't understand it, then ... gee whiz ... surely you can explain to me precisely where I'm in error. Right? RIGHT?

After all, why should I be told to sit here and type out the entire concept of both the Big Bang AND evolution to you ... when you can't even show me even ONE specific thing that I've been wrong about. Not ONE specific thing that you "claim" I don't understand and set me straight. Not once.

Instead, you waltz in here with the supreme confidence only a believer like yourself can have --- cloaked in self-righteous assurance that your religion is 100000000% true, and until someone can prove to you that you're wrong (which can't be done since you won't accept any evidence that contradicts your beliefs anyway) you're right by default.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
God didn't give us anything -- evolution did.

God is just a Hebrew tribal god from the Bronze Age that managed to gain too much noteriety due to an over-zealous Roman emperor who just happened to get lucky and win a battle.

That's IT.

Yahweh/Jehovah was never meant to be worshiped by anyone save Hebrews -- which is why you do not see any attempts at conversion anywhere in the Old Testament. There was no proselytizing, no attempts to turn any of the Egyptians to the Hebrew faith, nothing. Zero. Zilch.

And it's why, even today, the Jews do not proselytize or run around the planet wrecking other people's ancient cultures in an attempt to convert the "savages."

As I said, your God was never meant for you -- unless you're Jewish. It wasn't until the messianic doomsday cult led by Christ entered the picture over a thousand years later when Christianity decided it had a right to conquer the world by force (they only snagged most of Europe and Russia though, as well as the western hemisphere, not the world, but they're still trying).

You keep bloviating about how people do not understand Christian theology -- but theology is like debating over whether Mighty Mouse can beat up Superman or attending class to learn the history of Frodo Baggins. When it's all made-up, with only a tenuous connection to the real world, theology can go damn near anywhere. Which, by the way, is why there are some 30,000 different Christian denominations. Gee, ya think?

Here's how I know I wasn't "created" by a supreme being: poop.

Yeah, poop. I'm deadly serious. More people have died from diseases stemming from our own feces than all the casualties (KIA, MIA, and missing) of war combined. Talk about "sick" ... your god always manages to outdo even the worst human mass murderer.

Because ... did God HAVE to design us in such a way as to excrete such a horrifically deadly mass of bacteria? Of course not. But he did -- at least according to your beliefs, anyway. When you combine that with God's omniscience, your god knew damn well what the results would be of his design. He KNEW that our own excrement would cause thousands of years of death, sickness, and suffering. Because, when he was divinely inspiring the Biblical authors, he was too busy ensuring that we always had four tassels on our cloaks instead of, perhaps, warning us of our own biohazards and teaching us how to deal with it in a healthy way. Thus, God not only designed us this way, he then sat back and watched a 100,000 year-long horror show. And all the while, he did NOTHING. (Which is what you would expect from a being that doesn't exist).

I call it "God's Hidden Holocaust" since he probably managed to wipe out more innocent people with his bad design of our bodies than he did when he flooded the world during Noah's era.

And there are plenty of design flaws with our bodies -- like using the same "pipe" that we breathe with to also swallow our food. How many millions have died due to choking deaths, I wonder? And most of them were probably babies and very young children -- the most innocent among us.

Evolution is blameless -- it doesn't have unlimited power and it certainly doesn't know everything. Evolution did not construct our bodies with foreknowledge, intent, or ulterior motives. However, the moment you add an intelligence to the equation, an intelligence with unlimited power and knowledge, EVERYTHING is his fault. And I do mean EVERYTHING.

You can't blame the planet's situation on humanity. We're simply behaving in precisely the way your god designed us to behave. It's just that you can't handle that concept and pretend instead that god had nothing to do with how things turned out. Believers like yourself invent clever little rationalizations -- like "free will" -- to allow god to wriggle off the hook, to lay the blame at humanity's feet.

Remember that if your god didn't want things exactly as they are, they wouldn't BE this way. This is the logical price you pay when your god is omnipotent and omniscient -- unless you can admit that God is actually an evil being who uses threats and violence to coerse people's "free will" to worship him. Or maybe your god is simply insane.

Reeeaally .... is THAT how it works. Well, allow me to quote God:

Commandment #1: Thou shalt have no other gods before ME!

Hmm, I mean, that sounds an aweful lot like a command to not only worship him, but also you are forbidden to worship anyone else besides.

Oh let me guess. I somehow don't understand Christian theology ... right? Because such a simplistic and straightforward commandment requires decades of study at one of America's most prestigeous seminaries, correct?

I find it amusing how something -- like Christianity -- is supposed to be easily understood by the (then) illiterate and uneducated masses and yet suddenly (and mysteriously) it becomes more complex than quantum mechanics when people like us challenge the simple messages of religion.

Translation: "I really don't have a rebuttal -- and even if I did, I'm pretending I'm logged into Twitter so none of my responses will be longer than 265 characters."

Oh, how cheap, Omega. You DO realize that, right? Cheap, cheap, cheap. This ridiculous attempt at deflection is cheaper than a knick-knack at a garage sale.

Which is why I'm not going to say anything further about it. The old "you're no better" deflection tactic is disingenuous at best, fallacious at worst, and intellectually dishonest in either case.
Bravo mlady

Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Shirina is soooo good!

Old 09-28-2017, 06:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

God is just a Hebrew tribal god from the Bronze Age that managed to gain too much noteriety due to an over-zealous Roman emperor who just happened to get lucky and win a battle.

That's IT.

Yahweh/Jehovah was never meant to be worshiped by anyone save Hebrews -- which is why you do not see any attempts at conversion anywhere in the Old Testament. There was no proselytizing, no attempts to turn any of the Egyptians to the Hebrew faith, nothing. Zero. Zilch.

And it's why, even today, the Jews do not proselytize or run around the planet wrecking other people's ancient cultures in an attempt to convert the "savages."

As I said, your God was never meant for you -- unless you're Jewish. It wasn't until the messianic doomsday cult led by Christ entered the picture over a thousand years later when Christianity decided it had a right to conquer the world by force (they only snagged most of Europe and Russia though, as well as the western hemisphere, not the world, but they're still trying).

You keep bloviating about how people do not understand Christian theology -- but theology is like debating over whether Mighty Mouse can beat up Superman or attending class to learn the history of Frodo Baggins. When it's all made-up, with only a tenuous connection to the real world, theology can go damn near anywhere. Which, by the way, is why there are some 30,000 different Christian denominations. Gee, ya think?

Yeah, poop. I'm deadly serious. More people have died from diseases stemming from our own feces than all the casualties (KIA, MIA, and missing) of war combined. Talk about "sick" ... your god always manages to outdo even the worst human mass murderer.

Because ... did God HAVE to design us in such a way as to excrete such a horrifically deadly mass of bacteria? Of course not. But he did -- at least according to your beliefs, anyway. When you combine that with God's omniscience, your god knew damn well what the results would be of his design. He KNEW that our own excrement would cause thousands of years of death, sickness, and suffering. Because, when he was divinely inspiring the Biblical authors, he was too busy ensuring that we always had four tassels on our cloaks instead of, perhaps, warning us of our own biohazards and teaching us how to deal with it in a healthy way. Thus, God not only designed us this way, he then sat back and watched a 100,000 year-long horror show. And all the while, he did NOTHING. (Which is what you would expect from a being that doesn't exist).

I call it "God's Hidden Holocaust" since he probably managed to wipe out more innocent people with his bad design of our bodies than he did when he flooded the world during Noah's era.

And there are plenty of design flaws with our bodies -- like using the same "pipe" that we breathe with to also swallow our food. How many millions have died due to choking deaths, I wonder? And most of them were probably babies and very young children -- the most innocent among us.

Evolution is blameless -- it doesn't have unlimited power and it certainly doesn't know everything. Evolution did not construct our bodies with foreknowledge, intent, or ulterior motives. However, the moment you add an intelligence to the equation, an intelligence with unlimited power and knowledge, EVERYTHING is his fault. And I do mean EVERYTHING.

You can't blame the planet's situation on humanity. We're simply behaving in precisely the way your god designed us to behave. It's just that you can't handle that concept and pretend instead that god had nothing to do with how things turned out. Believers like yourself invent clever little rationalizations -- like "free will" -- to allow god to wriggle off the hook, to lay the blame at humanity's feet.

Remember that if your god didn't want things exactly as they are, they wouldn't BE this way. This is the logical price you pay when your god is omnipotent and omniscient -- unless you can admit that God is actually an evil being who uses threats and violence to coerse people's "free will" to worship him. Or maybe your god is simply insane.

Hmm, I mean, that sounds an aweful lot like a command to not only worship him, but also you are forbidden to worship anyone else besides.

Oh let me guess. I somehow don't understand Christian theology ... right? Because such a simplistic and straightforward commandment requires decades of study at one of America's most prestigeous seminaries, correct?

I find it amusing how something -- like Christianity -- is supposed to be easily understood by the (then) illiterate and uneducated masses and yet suddenly (and mysteriously) it becomes more complex than quantum mechanics when people like us challenge the simple messages of religion.

Translation: "I really don't have a rebuttal -- and even if I did, I'm pretending I'm logged into Twitter so none of my responses will be longer than 265 characters."

Oh, how cheap, Omega. You DO realize that, right? Cheap, cheap, cheap. This ridiculous attempt at deflection is cheaper than a knick-knack at a garage sale.

Which is why I'm not going to say anything further about it. The old "you're no better" deflection tactic is disingenuous at best, fallacious at worst, and intellectually dishonest in either case.

actually the universe gave us everything, it actually didn't give itself anything ... it is itself. we have to describe the universe more accurately if we are going to toss it against their god thing.

I am ok with saying their god thing isn't real. i am not ok with claiming untruths like evolution gave us something. Evolution is a unifying theory that links a bunch of data together.

evolution points to our region of space "alive", like a cell. Evolution explains what people are experiencing. People are wrong calling it a god. and they are wrong in calling it "lack belief in anything".

it is what it is.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,969 times
Quote:

Evolution gave us that a million + species of animals and plant all had the same mommy and daddy. Even cave men know that is a lie. Evolution gives us a small dog-like animal surviving very well on land became a huge sea creature. Even cave men with a 2 digit IQ know that is scientifically impossible.

Quote:

That's IT.
It is amusing that all you can do is pontificate, offer no evidence for either statement and expect us to believe you. That is laughable.

Quote:
Abram believe God and it was counted to him as righteousness.

Psa 2:11 - WORSHIP the Lord with reverence(LORD is Jehovah/ Yehweh).

The men of Nineveh will stand up in judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah and something greater than John is here.

[quote]And it's why, even today, the Jews do not proselytize or run around the planet wrecking other people's ancient cultures in an attempt to convert the "savages."

The Bible tells Christians to tell the good news to others, so we do. To learn the ways of God and what is necessary for salvation does not wreck a society, it enriches it.

Quote:
The only dooms day cult is the one you worship in---Humanism.

Quote:
Your theology comes from lala land. I never say people do not understand Christian theology. I say humanist CANT understand it, and you are a perfect example of confirming the truth of I Cor 2:14. THANKS.

Quote:

Yet you agree with the slaughter of millions of babies a year. That makes you a hypocrite, a common characteristic of humanist.

Quote:

Your rant of ignorance is boring. If that is all you can do, go back to the playground..

WARNING: Humanism is dangerous to your spiritual health.

Last edited by omega2xx; 09-29-2017 at 05:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality