Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
New Age is anything which frightens fundies.

Which is pretty much everything.
That was hysterical !

Thank you ABQConvict...great post a couple back. You, too, mordant...haven't been reading here lately, catching up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 06:49 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Despite its popularity, the New Age is hard to define. It includes a variety of beliefs, fads, and rituals. It seems to be a marriage of Science & Easternism Cult-religious organizations and can be a mixture of Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Spiritualism such as, Church Universal & Triumphant (Elizabeth Clare Prophet).
It is far more accurate to term it a mixture of pseudoscience and eastern thought.

In fact, the main think tank for this down by Big Sur in the late 1960s was the Esalen Institute. They saw science (or at least the "science establishment" or accepted science) and reason as the enemy -- as tools of the state and of corporatism -- and were very much opposed to it, and to the "plastic society" they felt it generated. Hence the emphasis on personal subjective experience, psychoactive drugs for "mind expansion", etc.

To this very day, New Agers use terms like "quantum" reflexively as a deepity, seldom having even a rudimentary grasp of what quantum theory actually is and is not. So ... pseudoscience, not science.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
People don’t seem to want to hear what God has to say, they want information and direction from someone else who “knows”; a psychic, a channeler, a palm-reader, a card-reader, Ouija boards, astrology, magic charming, automatic writing, or the spirit of a dead friend of relative. In a sense these are God-given desire, but they are intended to be fulfilled by the knowledge and power which comes from God. However, Satan is busy trying to pass off his counterfeits for God’s knowledge and power as the real thing. If he can get us to accept his versions of knowledge and power, he has a foothold in our life.
And this is different from your undefined "spirit" and your "interpretations"....how?

Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And this is different from your undefined "spirit" and your "interpretations"....how?
Exactly. She's chockfull of "Old Age" magic and pseudo-spirituality. She thinks it evil to sit quietly, burn incense and consult the Tarot.

But she goes toe-to-toe with demons and burns books.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is far more accurate to term it a mixture of pseudoscience and eastern thought.

In fact, the main think tank for this down by Big Sur in the late 1960s was the Esalen Institute. They saw science (or at least the "science establishment" or accepted science) and reason as the enemy -- as tools of the state and of corporatism -- and were very much opposed to it, and to the "plastic society" they felt it generated. Hence the emphasis on personal subjective experience, psychoactive drugs for "mind expansion", etc.

To this very day, New Agers use terms like "quantum" reflexively as a deepity, seldom having even a rudimentary grasp of what quantum theory actually is and is not. So ... pseudoscience, not science.

I don't have a problem with that definition. What's one more lie to add to their pile? Peace

Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

The Source, as you well know. Find Him, not a comfy doctrine, and you won't have to ask. Peace

Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
The Source, as you well know. Find Him, not a comfy doctrine, and you won't have to ask. Peace
When you can show me that your source AND the fruit is in line with what Jesus taught about the nature of God I'll stop asking.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
People don’t seem to want to hear what God has to say, they want information and direction from someone else who “knows”; a psychic, a channeler, a palm-reader, a card-reader, Ouija boards, astrology, magic charming, automatic writing, or the spirit of a dead friend of relative. In a sense these are God-given desire, but they are intended to be fulfilled by the knowledge and power which comes from God. However, Satan is busy trying to pass off his counterfeits for God’s knowledge and power as the real thing. If he can get us to accept his versions of knowledge and power, he has a foothold in our life.
Quote:
She seems to accept things about the Spirit that resemble her mythical "Satan" far more than the God and Holy Spirit revealed, described in detail and then demonstrated by Jesus. Her refusal to more clearly define the characteristics of the Spirit she follows only makes it more suspect. Perhaps she should ponder Matthew 7:20-23

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Quote:
If you would clearly define Him, as Jesus did, perhaps you could convince us.

Quote:
When you can show me that your source AND the fruit is in line with what Jesus taught about the nature of God I'll stop asking.
Amen!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Since the fruit and the gifts go together as faith and works go together, when you can show me your faith by your works, I'll believe. Until then, you have nothing but (possibly) good intentions. Peace

Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
She seems to accept things about the Spirit that resemble her mythical "Satan" far more than the God and Holy Spirit revealed, described in detail and then demonstrated by Jesus. Her refusal to more clearly define the characteristics of the Spirit she follows only makes it more suspect. Perhaps she should ponder Matthew 7:20-23

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
If you would clearly define Him, as Jesus did, perhaps you could convince us.

Amen!

Read my post to Nate and apply it equally to yourself. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality