Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
What about this?

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

I think MyPhDstic is saying what John quotes Christ as saying. Christ said no man can come to me ever, except the OT FatherGod has sent that man as he sent me, draw him. Draw him. Influence him. Well, if you read God's word enough, how could it not influence and draw you? to the same God that sent him? Thus = Sons of God taught by God.
If by "God's word" you mean the bible, then I don't agree. I think God's word can be found in the bible, and in innumerable other places as well. In the words spoken and written by other humans, sure, and in nature and animals, but more importantly to me, in ourselves and in each other. That's how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auralmack
or something like that I suppose. sorry I bumped you instead of Trans: and just say that Nature exists because of a working Solar System and without that The End of Nature as You Know It. pefft...gone. And not just one thing but a Whole System, a Whole Working System of Things...not enough accidents in the world if you ask me.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at here. ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack
[[Hi Pler ] After I've seen how angry those mobs can actually get when something or some idea gets in their way...I have no problem taking it literally...and it wasn't a blood sacrifice needed by any God or behalf of any other thing other than what Christ was teaching would put them out of business. Try going out to them and teach God's word as clear as day what sin is and how they are wrong and nothing but deceitful thieves, liars and murders; and see what they do to you should be taken literally?
I understand that many take it literally. Interestingly to me, it doesn't seem that Jesus was ever addressing literal thieves, liars and murderers. It's the "crimes" of the religious that seemed to be his sticking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack
Prophecy - Christ came to know God, God's word became flesh and bone in Christ, he knew God. Christ maybe thought, let's go tell them the Truth. Who a Book a Word could send him? Maybe he just couldn't help himself and took it and ran. But why would you think God was all those other gods that sent them to kill and sacrifice him Christ as any other Mary's little lamb that suits their needs? or their bellies? or just for kicks? Interesting conversation. I might hang out here awhile longer...ha

Nice thoughts, I gotta run...

If I'm understanding you, then I think we agree: To me the point of the Jesus narrative is that God's "word" in us is how we come to know God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I wonder, how many you chased away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Judging from the fact I just had to dump all my pm's because I had reached capacity, I'd say not many. And no, they were not all from "friends". How many have you chased away with your barely there gospel? Peace
I am not trying to win over converts, neither would I brag about myself.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
I am not trying to win over converts, neither would I brag about myself.

I'm not. I'm bragging on the power of the Spirit of G-d to draw all men unto Him, if HE, not the ambitions of flesh that like to be held in admiration through fables of men, is lifted up. Peace

Old 08-25-2017, 01:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
I'm not. I'm bragging on the power of the Spirit of G-d to draw all men unto Him, if HE, not the ambitions of flesh that like to be held in admiration through fables of men, is lifted up. Peace
Having confidence is one thing, being narcissistic is another.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, I believe this. It's just that I believe God is drawing all of us, all the time. And, since I don't take the Jesus narrative literally, I obviously don't think this has anything to do with being drawn to believe a man named Jesus was a blood sacrifice needed to appease an angry God on our behalf.
Yes, God IS drawing us all the time but so many of us are perverse and ignore Him in favor of words "written in ink" by primitive men. The primitive blood sacrifice meme to appease God is the main stumbling block to understanding God who IS love.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Having confidence is one thing, being narcissistic is another.

Nah, it's just all about Him from beginning to end. Peace

Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, God IS drawing us all the time but so many of us are perverse and ignore Him in favor of words "written in ink" by primitive men. The primitive blood sacrifice meme to appease God is the main stumbling block to understanding God who IS love.

The G-d who is love is sacrificial love, something you like to ignore. I wonder why that is? Because your love isn't sacrificial because you refuse to lay down your life for Him? Peace

Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm browsing around, trying to find some "New Age" sites. I'm not finding much. From what I can tell, about the only beliefs they have in common seem to be...

*All people have the ability to make their own spiritual decisions.
*What any person does with that ability is unique to them, but in the ability, itself, there is unity.
*Each person has a responsibility for their own life, and their own decisions.

Scary stuff.
Anything with eastern religion thought is usually considered new age by bible fundamentalists. I personally believe a lot of what eastern religions have is what christiamity actualy lost through through infilteration of fundementalist thought.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:27 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Anything with eastern religion thought is usually considered new age by bible fundamentalists. I personally believe a lot of what eastern religions have is what christiamity actualy lost through through infilteration of fundementalist thought.
Makes sense.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Exactly. All men can do is reason, but when the motive of the heart is after His Truth, the Spirit will reveal it, and the written word will confirm it.. Peace
When the motivation is to know God, God reveals himself. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.....and your bible confirms this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality