Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Just a bump to get things back on topic with the reality of what New Age IS, all fascinating guesswork and incense smell ratings, aside. Peace
Matt "The Oil" Slick peddles lies at CARM. He's such a good Christian his daughter became an atheist as soon as she could escape his tyranny.

People like you eat his lies and spread them. You should be ashamed. But that requires insight and empathy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Matt "The Oil" Slick peddles lies at CARM. He's such a good Christian his daughter became an atheist as soon as she could escape his tyranny.

People like you eat his lies and spread them. You should be ashamed. But that requires insight and empathy.
Wow, it's so threatening to you, you didn't even quote the links to reply to me? That means it MUST be good. Here it is again, for those who missed it the first time....Peace

https://carm.org/new-age-more

https://carm.org/new-age

PS. I'm not advocating anything else at CARM, never read there a day in my life, BUT he hits New Age beliefs here square on the head. I would add that reliance upon messages from demonic entities claiming to be dead relatives (necromancy), astrology, fortune telling in any form such as Ouija boards, Tarot cards, reading tea leaves, coffee grounds or (not kidding) animal entrails, numerology, so called mediums, witchcraft, ect., are all New Age practices and should be avoided like the plague.

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-24-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Wow, it's so threatening to you, you didn't even quote the links to reply to me? That means it MUST be good. Here it is again, for those who missed it the first time....Peace

https://carm.org/new-age-more

https://carm.org/new-age

PS. I'm not advocating anything else at CARM, never read there a day in my life, BUT he hits New Age beliefs here square on the head. I would add that reliance upon messages from demonic entities claiming to be dead relatives (necromancy), astrology, fortune telling in any form such as Ouija boards, Tarot cards, reading tea leaves or coffee grounds, or (not kidding) animal entrails, so called mediums, witchcraft, ect., are all New Age practices and should be avoided like the plague.
I didn't leave the links out. They didn't copy from inside the quote box.

I don't mind you shilling for him. You have much in common.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
What little I've read about New Age (from sources other than Christians who want to degrade it out of, it seems, ignorance), it's a movement whose main purpose seems to be to encourage everyone to know that they have the personal ability to connect with God in the here and now, and that God is not bound to, nor does God endorse, any one "holy book", nor any one religion, nor any one person to be a go-between.

My take-away, is that "New Age" says any of those things can meet a person where they are, but God's end desire is for people to be reliant on no one, and no thing, other than God, Godself. I can understand that this would be threatening to any religious person who thinks that it is imperative for people to believe certain doctrines in order to be "saved". So, I understand their fear that others are being deceived, which comes from a genuine place of caring about others.

There is no way to assuage that fear, I don't think, and the best one can do is continue to live and speak out of the security of one's own trust in God. That will either make an impact, or it won't. The important thing is that as much as we* trust God is leading and guiding us, we can also trust that God is working in their lives, as well.

*It seems to me that I'm a "New-Ager" since I agree with them about these things.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-24-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
"New Age", honestly is just an umbrella label for a lot of different beliefs. There is some seriously, seriously wacky stuff (in my opinion) under the New Age umbrella. As there is a lot of very beautiful things as well. The "New Age" label irritates the heck out of me, just for that very reason. New Age should actually just be called "Whatever". I think "Whatever" is more fitting a label.

I really HATE labels.
They have far too much power.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
"New Age", honestly is just an umbrella label for a lot of different beliefs. There is some seriously, seriously wacky stuff (in my opinion) under the New Age umbrella. As there is a lot of very beautiful things as well. The "New Age" label irritates the heck out of me, just for that very reason. New Age should actually just be called "Whatever". I think "Whatever" is more fitting a label.

I really HATE labels.
They have far too much power.
Yes, labels aren't great.

I mean, look at Christianity, and all the wacky, often extremely divergent beliefs that fall under that umbrella. So, maybe Christianity and everything else should just be called, "Whatever".

Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, labels aren't great.

I mean, look at Christianity, and all the wacky, often extremely divergent beliefs that fall under that umbrella. So, maybe Christianity and everything else should just be called, "Whatever".
Exactly!!!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What little I've read about New Age (from sources other than Christians who want to degrade it out of, it seems, ignorance), it's a movement whose main purpose seems to be to encourage everyone to know that they have the personal ability to connect with God in the here and now, and that God is not bound to, nor does God endorse, any one "holy book", nor any one religion, nor any one person to be a go-between.

My take-away, is that "New Age" says any of those things can meet a person where they are, but God's end desire is for people to be reliant on no one, and no thing, other than God, Godself. I can understand that this would be threatening to any religious person who thinks that it is imperative for people to believe certain doctrines in order to be "saved". So, I understand their fear that others are being deceived, which comes from a genuine place of caring about others.

There is no way to assuage that fear, I don't think, and the best one can do is continue to live and speak out of the security of one's own trust in God. That will either make an impact, or it won't. The important thing is that as much as we* trust God is leading and guiding us, we can also trust that God is working in their lives, as well.

*It seems to me that I'm a "New-Ager" since I agree with them about these things.

Oh, but Pleroo, I'm not degrading it out of ignorance of the subject at all because I'm a Christian, or out of fear. I'm degrading it as someone who read every book ever written on the subject before 1986 for 15 years, and walked through quite a bit of it myself. I know full well the depths of the darkness that it all is, and how difficult, nigh impossible, it is for anyone to willingly walk out of it, so strong are the bands of control and deception.

But I find it interesting, that my witness as a Christian declaring what G-d says about it doesn't count, nor does my witness as having been where they are "at" at one time, count for anything. So I have to conclude that you simply refuse to believe anything from any witness, because you need to "be" there yourself to see the full effects of it. And so you shall, if you continue on your present course. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, but Pleroo, I'm not degrading it out of ignorance of the subject at all because I'm a Christian, or out of fear. I'm degrading it as someone who read every book ever written on the subject before 1986 for 15 years, and walked through quite a bit of it myself. I know full well the depths of the darkness that it all is, and how difficult, nigh impossible, it is for anyone to willingly walk out of it, so strong are the bands of control and deception.

But I find it interesting, that my witness as a Christian declaring what G-d says about it doesn't count, nor does my witness as having been where they are "at" at one time, count for anything. So I have to conclude that you simply refuse to believe anything from any witness, because you need to "be" there yourself to see the full effects of it. And so you shall, if you continue on your present course. Peace
I began reading/studying "New Age" thought in the 60s, starting with Edgar Cayce, Ruth Montgomery, Hans Holzer, Jean Dixon et al.

Much of it interesting and thought-provoking. Much of it unrealistic and stupid.

In other words, a lot like the bible.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:

As has been discussed on this thread, "New Age" is a very wide umbrella, with many different beliefs under it. I was only sharing what I see as a core motivation for the movement with which I agree, not any specific beliefs. So, please share: Where were you, Rbbi? What were some of the things you practiced and believed that you found to be controlling and deceptive? And why? (This is not a trap, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality