Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,130,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nope.

He's been exposed.

Hoist by his own petard.

That Shakespeare dude was astute to the max.
Exposed for what? Ticking off artful codgers who can't answer the question so they try to hijack the thread instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM

16,138 posts, read 6,459,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exposed for what? Ticking off artful codgers who can't answer the question so they try to hijack the thread instead?
Did you really just say that?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That a certain poster would choose to hijack the thread instead of answering the question? Yup. He's added nothing of value to this thread, and rather than just ignore it and move on he has to hijack it.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM

51,437 posts, read 24,792,183 times
Quote:
Says the guy that continues to lecture us on what a Christian is and is not.

Seriously. The hypocrisy is astounding.
Post after post after post after post, and you talk about everything EXCEPT answering the question you have been asked by numerous posters. You are wasting our time. I don't even understand why you keep posting. Do you understand that your posting reflects on your religion?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

16,138 posts, read 6,459,535 times
Quote:
That a certain poster would choose to hijack the thread instead of answering the question? Yup. He's added nothing of value to this thread, and rather than just ignore it and move on he has to hijack it.
Sorry BF but I can no longer take you seriously.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Post after post after post after post, and you talk about everything EXCEPT answering the question you have been asked by numerous posters. You are wasting our time. I don't even understand why you keep posting. Do you understand that your posting reflects on your religion?
That's because it was a hypothetical. if you can't answer the question, then don't. Just move on. it's ok. You don't have to post here on this thread. I believe the TOS is that if you don't have something to say about the OP, then don't post it. Don't hijack the post. I'm ok with not getting a response from you.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 10-12-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,335,181 times
Quote:
Exposed as a not-very-bright <bleep>.

For starters.

But DO carry on.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-12-2017 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: edited

Old 10-12-2017, 01:23 PM

51,437 posts, read 24,792,183 times
Quote:
That's because it was a hypothetical. if you can't answer the question, then don't. Just move on. it's ok. You don't have to post here on this thread. I believe the TOS is that if you don't have something to say about the OP, then don't post it. Don't hijack the post. I'm ok with not getting a response from you.
THAT IS NOT TRUE.

Here's what your OP said, in part: "We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians."

There is nothing hypothetical about that. You talk about people "posting here" and that "here they are". That's not hypothetical.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,992,637 times
Quote:
Says the guy that continues to lecture us on what a Christian is and is not.

Seriously. The hypocrisy is astounding.
No, says the guy who does not deny ANYone the right to call himself Christian, though I certainly talk about what Christianity SHOULD be about.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:00 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,932,053 times
It all seems to have got a bit confused.

This was BF's OP

I just sit here and wonder why a member of a religion that has been decided NON-Christian as long as it's existed.....would want to identify as a Christian?

We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians. Why?

Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us? Why is it so important to you
?

This clearly identifies the reference as people who consider themselves Christians, but Baptist Fundie and presumably his denomination don't. Mormons are of course the obvious example but there may be others.

Quote:
Nope. I never claimed to be the only true Christian or any other religion. The fact that you couldn't grasp that is telling.
This is being evasive. The OP was not about all other Christians than BF's group being non -Christians. It os about one (or maybe more) groups who consider themselves Christians being denounced (effectively) as not being Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Indeed, and that is the definitive answer to the OP, but we are still waiting on confirmation that what the original poster changed the meaning to has any merit whatsoever: IS there a group that self-identified as "not Christian" but some of whose members claim to BE Christian?

This was in response to a thumbs -up from Mystic to Katz. Who saw what is obvious - Mormons are the obvious target here.
There's a subsequent point, apparently about who first accused whom of lying and whether the did. I'll try to track that down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
People on this forum don't believe that you can cite any group denying that they are Christian some of whose members now claim to be Christian.. You would not even have to name the group, just demonstrate such a statement as you have claimed.

Why should people on this forum credit ANYthing you say?
This was in response to a rather confusing post of BF's about people who did not believe the Bible. Mormons do, so the only people left are people who do not believe the Bible and do not call themselves Christians. Theists perhaps, but not Christians.

All the others - even those who consider it myth or unreliable, still call themselves Christians as they find truth in the teachings, whoever wrote them. So was the OP about those who reject too much of the Gospels as unbelievable? That was the point of my post, asking Baptist Fundie to explain his argument.

That's when we get the accusation of lying re. Nate's "Trying to change the claim'.

Quote:
Well bless your agape lovin' heart. You're just spouting off all sorts of lies about me.

Not the right response. I'm not sure what you mean and Nate might have thought you were shifting from one possibility (Mormons) to another (Christians who doubt the gospels). He could be mistaken, but the right response is to explain, not toss out accusations of lying.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
He did, indeed.
The more the evasion goes on, Baptist Fundie, the more we are inclined to think that Nate was right (1): you posted an argument you can't back up or would prefer not to try, You can put it right any time you like, but the more you wriggle, the worse it will look for you.

I luv it here.

(1) in fact I'm sure of it. a religion that has been decided NON-Christian Underlining mine.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-12-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality